Speculation The hysterical and annoying, but traditional, totally unfounded summer 2020 rumours thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was impressed THAT night at Southampton. Not so much otherwise.
That excepted. But you question how much that was down to utter capitulation when balanced against how mediocre (for me) he has been for much of the rest of the season. £30m? Seriously.

I am pretty sure that I read at the time that the press said the fee was £30m but it was nowhere near that. I seem to remember £16m with add ons upto £30m

That excepted. But you question how much that was down to utter capitulation when balanced against how mediocre (for me) he has been for much of the rest of the season. £30m? Seriously.
Agree, but I think he has promise. Played out of his best position possibly.

I am pretty sure that I read at the time that the press said the fee was £30m but it was nowhere near that. I seem to remember £16m with add ons upto £30m

John Percy reported the release clause as being £16m. For some reason, every other report said it was £30m.

I believe Percy. It would make sense given the way we dived in there to get the deal done at that price. Would there have been much competition at £30m? I don't think so.

It would also be in Newcastle's interest to make out that he had a higher release clause in his contract.

I asked Rob Tanner about this discrepancy some months ago but he was completely clueless.

What ‘race to sign’. If we are selling Chilwell I think we can probably guarantee the owners won’t be selling anyone else this window. I ****ing hate the Mercury. It’s an utter rag and the online version seems to be click bait shit stirring at its worst.

View attachment 15407
**** the Mercury. It's owned by a company that publishes over 200 regional papers !!! There's no such thing as a "local" paper anymore, just corporate shit sheets.

**** the Mercury. It's owned by a company that publishes over 200 regional papers !!! There's no such thing as a "local" paper anymore, just corporate shit sheets.
its owned, effectively by the Daily Mirror, Reach publishing is the parent company but the Mirror is the big daddy of their portfolio

I think Perez suffers from the same under appreciation Okazaki did. He was out best player after lockdown, by a country mile.

His scoring record over the last three seasons is good for a support forward - 28 in the equivalent of 83 matches (7,497 minutes). He also does some good tracking and intercepting in the forward areas - like Okazaki did. He's a clever player.

The problem is that his assists/creativity are not good enough. He doesn't make enough chances for others. He also drifts in and out of matches too much. If he could improve these aspects of his game, he'd be a better player for us.

In our best eleven last season, I'd say he was the weakest link and the player we should be looking to improve on most.

TBF, we seem to have signed him with the intention of sticking him out wide and emulating Riyad Mahrez rather than play him in a position he's more familiar with...

Schmeichel
Chilwell
Soyuncu
Evans
Perreira
Tielemans
maddison
Barnes
Ndidi
Vardy

I believe these are our best 10 players. I wouldn’t drop any of these when on form for any other player in the squad.

This eaves us (if you agree) with 1 player needed to complete a very decent first 11.

So again (if you agree) we have 1 space and depending on our system that means either a striker to play alongside Vardy or a winger.

If again you agree with this who of the 10 ‘givens’ should we upgrade on and with who?

His scoring record over the last three seasons is good for a support forward - 28 in the equivalent of 83 matches (7,497 minutes). He also does some good tracking and intercepting in the forward areas - like Okazaki did. He's a clever player.

The problem is that his assists/creativity are not good enough. He doesn't make enough chances for others. He also drifts in and out of matches too much. If he could improve these aspects of his game, he'd be a better player for us.

In our best eleven last season, I'd say he was the weakest link and the player we should be looking to improve on most.
This is exactly it in a nutshell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Bournemouth00
2Arsenal00
3Aston Villa00
4Brentford00
5Brighton00
6Chelsea00
7Palace00