The Natives are restless....

Status
Not open for further replies.
lazzer said:
a team in 20th position playing the runaway leaders would surely go into a game with damage limitation in mind
Agreed, it might have been different if we didn't have 4 games in 8 days, but needs must.

lazzer said:
a team in 20th position playing the runaway leaders would surely go into a game with damage limitation in mind

Exactly!! The problem is that we're not as practiced or therefore not as good at it as the teams that have come to the Walkers on 'damage limitation exercises' over the past couple of seasons.

bocadillo said:
Wtf do paying fans know about anything?

We were never really in with a chance of winning yesterday, so why all this when we lose?

Fans might not know much, but the club relies on them.

maybe we couldn't win, but the fact that we are so poor as to accept that is concerning to say the least.

and for Craig to admit that isn't going to boost confidence in the squad. And he believes that confidence is the only difference between us and reading.

Lazzer said:

Again, yes we have sunk a long way. Craig has in my opinion assisted in this. and he certainly shows no signs of improving matters.

bocadillo said:
Just got back from 10 days away and I haven't got time to address half the twaddle that has been written on here since last night's game.

FACT: Reading had won 10 of their 12 home games before last night.

FACT: They had scored 30 goals in those 12 games.

FACT: Only 7 of their 12 opponents have managed to score against them.

FACT: Only one team has taken a point off them at the Madejski since the opening day of the season.

FACT: We didn't do worse than most of the others!

Now about the team selection - could it be that CL was looking at the 4 games in 8 days rather than just atb this one particular game? Could it be that he thought we had more chance of taking points in the *whole* of the 4 games if he mounted a 'damage limitation' exercise last night? If we have no chance of winning a game, what's wrong with saving some key players for games that we can win.

And I have still not seen any consensus from the "CL must go" brigade about who we should get next, whether we can actually attract that person and how long they will give them to get City into the Champions League!!

With respect Boc, damage limitation, WTF, we were playing Reading FFS, to be honest I havent read anything from the CL Must Stay Crew either that convinces me to change my mind, what quite has he done to be so deserving of your support.

Everybody is entitled to an opinion and far enough you have yours and I and the rest of the Prophets of Doom, as we so kindly referred to, have ours, the fact of the matter is after 5 wins in 25 league games and no sign of an improvement in results at all, then it is fair for people to question whether he is the right man for the job, none of us expect champions league, I would be very happy with the mid table improvement as promised, I didnt envisage a relegation battle that looks more serious this season.

Steven said:
... because we rolled over and played dead even before we set foot on the coach ... :icon_conf :icon_conf :eek: :icon_wink ;)

So you would have gone into the game with a more open, attacking formation ...... and been happy when we lost by a cricket score?

bocadillo said:
So you would have gone into the game with a more open, attacking formation ...... and been happy when we lost by a cricket score?

We will never know the outcome, we may well have took the lead by playing a more adventurous line up, at the end of the day are Reading really that good that we all we go out to do is hold them at bay.....FFS we played them in the cup less than 12 months ago and won, what does that say about both teams progression.

PFKAKTF FOX said:
With respect Boc, damage limitation, WTF, we were playing Reading FFS, to be honest I havent read anything from the CL Must Stay Crew either that convinces me to change my mind, what quite has he done to be so deserving of your support.

Everybody is entitled to an opinion and far enough you have yours and I and the rest of the Prophets of Doom, as we so kindly referred to, have ours, the fact of the matter is after 5 wins in 25 league games and no sign of an improvement in results at all, then it is fair for people to question whether he is the right man for the job, none of us expect champions league, I would be very happy with the mid table improvement as promised, I didnt envisage a relegation battle that looks more serious this season.

There is no such team as Reading FFS. The only team in Reading is Reading TPATTPC (Twenty Points Above The Third Placed Club - and with a +30 better goal difference).

I wholly accept even the doommongers have a right to their opinion and I do appreciate that you believe that I have a right to mine. I just think it's a pity that they didn't listen to the realists amongst us before the season started - a narrow avoidance of relegation was predicted by some and, hopefully, they had it right. Perhaps if people hadn't been so adamant that we were going to be promoted, they wouldn't feel so distraught now.

bocadillo said:

I don't understand? :icon_conf :icon_conf :eek: :102: In one breath we get the any side can beat any other side in this League spin and in the next we go into damage limitation mode because we realise that we will not win the game. Which is it?:102: They both cannot be right at the same time. :icon_wink ;)

bocadillo said:

Do you believe we couldn't win if we tried? if so why do you still support levein, its his team after all?

Craig stated post match, that confidence was the difference. do you believe that Craigs attitude with his selections would boost our confidence?

In answer to your question, i would sooner see us loose fighting, yes.

We went to Charlton with 4 - 5 -1, and it worked, but they are in the premiership.
Cl said the Reading team wasn't too different than the one we played against last year. Only difference is in the team confidence. What message does it send to our players, fans and their players and fans when we go to READING, yes READING, and play at damage limitation.

The old adage about attack being the best form of defence may well of prevailed, alas, we'll never know, but it would have been nice to find out.

bocadillo said:
Just got back from 10 days away and I haven't got time to address half the twaddle that has been written on here since last night's game.

FACT: Reading had won 10 of their 12 home games before last night.

FACT: They had scored 30 goals in those 12 games.

FACT: Only 7 of their 12 opponents have managed to score against them.

FACT: Only one team has taken a point off them at the Madejski since the opening day of the season.

FACT: We didn't do worse than most of the others!

Now about the team selection - could it be that CL was looking at the 4 games in 8 days rather than just atb this one particular game? Could it be that he thought we had more chance of taking points in the *whole* of the 4 games if he mounted a 'damage limitation' exercise last night? If we have no chance of winning a game, what's wrong with saving some key players for games that we can win.

And I have still not seen any consensus from the "CL must go" brigade about who we should get next, whether we can actually attract that person and how long they will give them to get City into the Champions League!!

FACT: we've won 5 games all season and were dire for most of last season.
FACT: we're in a relegation battle at the bottom of the Championship for the second year in a row

Most of the 'twaddle' that has been written is more in reaction to those facts, and the fact that the situation is getting worse, not better, than the simple fact that we lost yesterday.

PFKAKTF FOX said:
We will never know the outcome, we may well have took the lead by playing a more adventurous line up, at the end of the day are Reading really that good that we all we go out to do is hold them at bay.....FFS we played them in the cup less than 12 months ago and won, what does that say about both teams progression.

It might suggest that CL needs as long as Steve Coppell has had. The seeds that he planted a couple of years ago have really started to show fruit.

bocadillo said:
It might suggest that CL needs as long as Steve Coppell has had. The seeds that he planted a couple of years ago have really started to show fruit.

Paul hart also planted seeds at forest. the seeds that grew are now in the premiership (Reid, Dawson..) and forest are in League 1

CL went in to that game accepting defeat which is unacceptable IMO. Why are so many people happy about our current situation. Just avoiding relegation? damage limitation??? Where the feck has the pride gone???

bocadillo said:
There is no such team as Reading FFS. The only team in Reading is Reading TPATTPC (Twenty Points Above The Third Placed Club - and with a +30 better goal difference).

I wholly accept even the doommongers have a right to their opinion and I do appreciate that you believe that I have a right to mine. I just think it's a pity that they didn't listen to the realists amongst us before the season started - a narrow avoidance of relegation was predicted by some and, hopefully, they had it right. Perhaps if people hadn't been so adamant that we were going to be promoted, they wouldn't feel so distraught now.

No the reason I feel distraught Boc, is down to the fact that I was willing to buy into Levein's masterplan and blueprint for the future, I listened to what he was saying in pre season and I was prepared to write this season off as building for the future with a squad that was going to develop and improve throughout the season and MAKE PROGRESS on what was a diappointing season last season. I never expected the play offs or promotion.

The first dozen or so games were always going to be littered with inconsistent performances as the side gelled together, the problem is results have actually got worse, and the manager IMO has learnt nothing from his experiences last season. I am afraid as we sit on the edge of a relegation battle I am no longer prepared to accept this, he has been given more than adequate finances to deliver mid table safety, and I do not see why he should be given any longer, his record is comparable to other failed SPL managers in Bobby Williamson and Jim Jefferies, and I think it proves managing down in England is a lot harder than most Scots believe.

Steven said:
I don't understand? :icon_conf :icon_conf :eek: :102: In one breath we get the any side can beat any other side in this League spin and in the next we go into damage limitation mode because we realise that we will not win the game. Which is it?:102: They both cannot be right at the same time. :icon_wink ;)

I don't think it was me that said that.

I just think that 'damage limitation' was what was attempted last night - and, yes, it didn't work. We can always think of times when teams have come to the Walkers with that in mind and have walked off with all the points - it could have happened last night. I really think that CL had more than the one game in mind.

I'm just a little surprised that all this has sprung up after we have lost a game that we were not likely to win rather than after, say, the Crewe or Millwall game at home.

bocadillo said:

No it shows that when given money to spend, Coppell has spent it wisely, ie Kevin Doyle, Dave Kitson and Leroy Lita to name a few. And also the longer Levein has in charge in Leicester the further we slip down.

Should we expect all of the lower placed clubs that are playing higher opposition in the F.A cup to exercise damage limitation?

Norwich are above us on a good run, do we try to limit the damage or try to get a much needed win?

The amount of goals we ship is imaterial unless CL thinks we need to be relying on goal difference at the end of the season. We need points, we got none, that's maximum damage to me.

Shouldn't we be going into games saying lets go and win this b*stard.

bocadillo said:
I don't think it was me that said that.

I just think that 'damage limitation' was what was attempted last night - and, yes, it didn't work. We can always think of times when teams have come to the Walkers with that in mind and have walked off with all the points - it could have happened last night. I really think that CL had more than the one game in mind.

I'm just a little surprised that all this has sprung up after we have lost a game that we were not likely to win rather than after, say, the Crewe or Millwall game at home.

I think that Leveins attitute to the game demonstrated that he himself has no belief. i think this has prompted the responce.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566