The official, though undoubtedly misunderstood or derided, 24/25 VAR thread

Fans see what they want to see.

On Saturday, Skipp could easily have been sent off. The foul which led to our first goal was incredibly soft and manufactured by Vardy.

Do we go on about these things? No. Because we don't want to see them. In some respects, it's our job to be biased.

We only want to see the 'foul' on Vardy before the first Arsenal goal and the fouls by Calafiori.

I don't think there is any evidence that officials are biased. They can be influenced by circumstances and this is one of the main reasons I've always supported VAR. It provides for a more detached independence.

It's also why I started this thread to try to share the viewpoint of Dale Johnson (ESPN) more. He provides explanations and compares decisions from different games which I think can be really helpful.

On the first Arsenal goal, once the onfield ref allows the challenge from Saliba on Vardy, there is no way VAR gets involved. Nobody would have given it a second thought if the ref had blown for a foul on Vardy but it isn't a clear foul so a referee will make a call and the one he made was fair enough.
Totally agree. I thought it was a foul at the time; I was convinced of it. Then they showed a replay of it later on and it looked incredibly soft. I'm not surprised it wasn't given.

Leicester 1-0 Bournemouth

Possible penalty: Handball by Zabarnyi​

What happened: The game was in the 23rd minute when Stephy Mavididi tried to play a pass to Jamie Vardy, who was at the far post, and the ball hit the arm of Bournemouth defender Illia Zabarnyi. Leicester City players demanded a penalty, but referee Darren Bond played on. It was checked by the VAR, Stuart Attwell.

VAR decision: No penalty.

VAR review: Here's a fact for you: There hasn't been a single penalty for handball in the Premier League this season. Let's compare that to the other top European competitions: Serie A has seen six in 70 matches (0.086 per match); LaLiga eight in 90 (0.089); the Bundesliga six in 54 (0.111); and out in front is Ligue 1 with seven in 54 (0.130). That's dwarfed by the UEFA Champions League, which has seen seven in 36 matches (0.194) -- meaning UEFA's interpretation yields more than double the number of handball penalties than Spain and Italy.

But the Premier League is certainly out on its own with its relaxed interpretation for handball, placing more emphasis on a player's natural movement. It's going to take a really, really obvious offence for the VAR to get involved. Some will probably feel Zabarnyi should fall into that category, and it's a fair argument.

Zabarnyi's arm was out from his body, and in one of the other European competitions it would be pretty certain to result in a spot kick. The Premier League, however, wants to get this law closer to how it was before the IFAB began tweaking it six years ago.

Zabarnyi is running, and the movement of his arms stays consistent before Mavididi attempts the cross. That said, if the referee had given the spot kick, it wouldn't have been overturned.

The "referee's call" is going to be more of a focus on handball offences than anything else.

Leicester 1-0 Bournemouth

Possible penalty: Handball by Zabarnyi​

What happened: The game was in the 23rd minute when Stephy Mavididi tried to play a pass to Jamie Vardy, who was at the far post, and the ball hit the arm of Bournemouth defender Illia Zabarnyi. Leicester City players demanded a penalty, but referee Darren Bond played on. It was checked by the VAR, Stuart Attwell.

VAR decision: No penalty.

VAR review: Here's a fact for you: There hasn't been a single penalty for handball in the Premier League this season. Let's compare that to the other top European competitions: Serie A has seen six in 70 matches (0.086 per match); LaLiga eight in 90 (0.089); the Bundesliga six in 54 (0.111); and out in front is Ligue 1 with seven in 54 (0.130). That's dwarfed by the UEFA Champions League, which has seen seven in 36 matches (0.194) -- meaning UEFA's interpretation yields more than double the number of handball penalties than Spain and Italy.

But the Premier League is certainly out on its own with its relaxed interpretation for handball, placing more emphasis on a player's natural movement. It's going to take a really, really obvious offence for the VAR to get involved. Some will probably feel Zabarnyi should fall into that category, and it's a fair argument.

Zabarnyi's arm was out from his body, and in one of the other European competitions it would be pretty certain to result in a spot kick. The Premier League, however, wants to get this law closer to how it was before the IFAB began tweaking it six years ago.

Zabarnyi is running, and the movement of his arms stays consistent before Mavididi attempts the cross. That said, if the referee had given the spot kick, it wouldn't have been overturned.

The "referee's call" is going to be more of a focus on handball offences than anything else.
This is music to my ears. Maybe except the bit about it wouldn’t be overturned if the referee gave it, because that will just result in inconsistent decisions.

P Pld Pts
1Liverpool718
2Manchester C  717
3Arsenal717
4Chelsea714
5Aston Villa714
6Brighton712
7Newcastle712
8Fulham711
9Tottenham 710
10Nottm F710
11Brentford710