The Reborn Foreign Football Thread

I often watched a game when all was well anyway so I most likely will. Derby match tomorrow, Dortmund/Schalke probably won't have the same intensity without a crowd there though.

It's going to be a terrible spectacle.

No crowd will make it look like a shit testimonial that nobody cares about

Who watched?

I managed 10 minutes before even house jobs were more appealing

Who watched?

I managed 10 minutes before even house jobs were more appealing
Nope. I’m not really that fussed by foreign leagues though, so don’t really have much interest in it anyway. The thought of watching it with no fans and no vested interest wasn’t very appealing.

I saw the clip on the news with them applauding an empty stand after the match. Absolutely pissed myself at that. I also read desperate football journalists wittering on about things like how great it was to hear the ball whistle into the back of the net and how educational it is to be able to hear players/managers speaking. Truly hollow people being told by their paymasters to make it sound good.

Those with a vested interest in making us think that this is football will peddle their nonsense. However, the fact remains that professional football without fans isn't professional football. It's a training session. Now, there are people who are happy to watch footballers train but they are in a very small minority.

Some watched the matches yesterday for the novelty value. Some watched it and would have been horrified at how awful it was. Some sad souls will believe the hype and stick with it. But the vast majority are not interested in this and never will be.

There are sports where the crowd is less important to the game, IMO. They’re the sports I’m more interested in watching. For example, I’ve got more interest in watching the golf from Florida later, than I have the Bundesliga this afternoon. This is despite me being more of a football fan (although I do like golf).

There are sports where the crowd is less important to the game, IMO. They’re the sports I’m more interested in watching. For example, I’ve got more interest in watching the golf from Florida later, than I have the Bundesliga this afternoon. This is despite me being more of a football fan (although I do like golf).

I agree with this. Golf is a great example of a sport that can work fine without fans being there. I'd also say cricket and tennis would be perfectly watchable. Football just doesn't work though.

I agree with this. Golf is a great example of a sport that can work fine without fans being there. I'd also say cricket and tennis would be perfectly watchable. Football just doesn't work though.
Yep, agreed. In fact, it's mostly team sports that are better for fans being in attendance, even the Ryder Cup is a bit like that (although it would still be watchable without them).

Cricket can vary, as it does benefit from fans at crucial points, but for the majority of a test match (for example) they're not as important and they only seem (to me at least) to be more vocal in the bigger matches anyway. Take the Australia games and the odd one day game out of it and there wouldn't be much missed at all. (Yes I have been to a fair few matches).

Individual sports have their moments. For example, a climb up Alpe d'Huez in the Tour de France without the fans wouldn't be what it is, but in general I think the point holds.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Ipswich4389
2Leicester4288
3Leeds Utd4387
4Southampton4284
5West Brom4372
6Norwich City4371
7Hull City4265
8Coventry City4263
9Middlesbro4363
10Preston 4363