The stability argument

Status
Not open for further replies.

syd

This is proving difficult. Davies nearly won promotion with a very very poor Preston side, then with Derby. In THIS league, not the Premier.

That makes him more successful in THIS league than Holloway, who has never won promotion, never even made the play offs and HAS been relegated from this league.

That is why Davies, on paper at least, is not just a better manager but a much better manager at THIS level.

As for the need for Premier League experience, the Premier is the highest level of football and it's where we hoped we'd be spending next season. Unless we're keen to come straight back down when we do get there, or unless we don't care whether we get there or not, then I'd consider it preferable to show just a little bit of foresight.

syd

And in case that isn't clear, he did actually win promotion with Derby. First time round. Despite a disastrous string of results at the start of the season.

Durham Fox

El Dude Brother.
This is proving difficult. Davies nearly won promotion with a very very poor Preston side, then with Derby. In THIS league, not the Premier.

That makes him more successful in THIS league than Holloway, who has never won promotion, never even made the play offs and HAS been relegated from this league.

That is why Davies, on paper at least, is not just a better manager but a much better manager at THIS level.

As for the need for Premier League experience, the Premier is the highest level of football and it's where we hoped we'd be spending next season. Unless we're keen to come straight back down when we do get there, or unless we don't care whether we get there or not, then I'd consider it preferable to show just a little bit of foresight.

That Preston team, pound for pound were the one of the best teams in the league.

Si Nick

They (?) might also decide to 'wheel out' names like Billy Davies and Iain Dowie if they (?) so choose

Doesn't sound that desperate to me

Davies - consistently fell out with a number of different people running Derby, wouldn't last a month with Mr Mandaric

Dowie - achieved exactly what at Coventry?

Chuck T Masala

Davies - consistently fell out with a number of different people running Derby, wouldn't last a month with Mr Mandaric

'bout the same as Holloway but with a lot less money? (Not a flag holder for Dowie at all but its a fair point).

syd

Are we now in a position where we have to discount quality managers when they're available on the grounds that our chairman only gets along with morons?

homer

Davies - took a team of dreadfully failing deadbeats from the bottom of THIS league to the play-offs and on to the Premier League

Dowie - took a team of dreadfully failing deadbeats from the bottom of THIS league to the play-offs and on to the Premier League

syd

Davies - took a team of dreadfully failing deadbeats from the bottom of THIS league to the play-offs and on to the Premier League

Dowie - took a team of dreadfully failing deadbeats from the bottom of THIS league to the play-offs and on to the Premier League

Thank you!

highland fox

Yeah but you could argue Holloway is already half way there in that he so far he is crafting a team of dreadfully failing deadbeats

Last edited:

TommyK

Am i alone in thinking it would be madness in the extreme to sack IH and have possible 6 (think thats right) managers in the space of 12 months?

Time and time again its been shown that a decent manager given time and money will bring you success, whereas changing your manager ever season does not. Now whether IH is that manager is a the issue - personelly i believe he's been given a shit storm to sort out and given time he will get it right.

How would actually come here if we sacked IH?! That would improve us over the long term?

For the record I don't believe that we will go down.

Biff

Am i alone in thinking it would be madness in the extreme to sack IH and have possible 6 (think thats right) managers in the space of 12 months?

Time and time again its been shown that a decent manager given time and money will bring you success, whereas changing your manager ever season does not. Now whether IH is that manager is a the issue - personelly i believe he's been given a shit storm to sort out and given time he will get it right.

How would actually come here if we sacked IH?! That would improve us over the long term?

I believe Milan said it might take 20 managers to get where we need to be........

The Old Fox

It has taken years for this club to sink to the level at which she now finds herself. Last summer accelerated the decline (let us NOT reapportion the blame for that, but simply accept that it is so.)
I am not going to acclaim Ian Holloway as the Messiah, but has it not crossed the minds of the constant change merchants, that each new manager adds to the club's problems, not resolves them. Each manager, with the exception of Worthington, has added his own players and, similarly, with each new incumbent of the manager's chair, some of the current crop of players are deemed redundant. Holloway has started the clearance of players such as Alan Maybury who, was not so poor when he arrived at city, but has sunk as manager after manager appeared. There are numerous other players who have slipped into the same zone whereby they cannot afford to jettison a lucrative contract but know that they will not play for the club again and, in my opinion, this has largely lead to the lack of pride in wearing the Leicester shirt - if you're in the team now, you'll probably be replaced by next week's manager.
I have no inside information, but it does seem obvious that Holloway wanted more players during the transfer window and that we do not have a 'captain fantastic': a stirring leader on the pitch. I would hope that a loan deal will bring this type of player very soon but not another manager please!!

Mouse

I agree completely.

Mouse

But surely since Palace lasted a season and Derby were doomed after a week, that means their 'experience' of managing in the Premier League is a bit rubbish?

And lets not forget that since taking Palace down and jumping ship, Dowie failed miserably at Charlton and just got sacked by Coventry.

I don't understand the experience point at all anyway, how can anyone get experience without being given the opportunity?

homer

But surely since Palace lasted a season and Derby were doomed after a week, that means their 'experience' of managing in the Premier League is a bit rubbish?

We don't need someone with experience of managing in the Premier League, as we are a squillion light years away from being in it. I think we might want to think about crossing that bridge when we come to it :icon_roll

We need someone who has taken a bunch of underperforming tossers and turned them around to become a team capable of getting out of this godawful league

Now who can I think of that has done that............?

syd

Stability is not always a good thing. If you appoint five bad managers consecutively then it's best to ship each one out in two months than wait 18 months (remember Taylor).

Of course this is impossible. We don't know whether Megson and Allen were bad managers. Even Kelly, who has been our only manager to experience success in recent times (keeping us up 2 years ago) and Levein never had cash, so it's not easy to judge them. With Holloway he's had the chance to bring in more players than Kelly did in his whole 14 month reign.

I wouldn't call myself a 'change merchant'; I wanted Allen to stay and I was neutral when it came to Worthington and even Kelly, who'd steadied the ship under difficult circumstances. However Ollie has so far done a bad job. We already have instability at the club and we're losing every game. Things can't get worse than that, change or not, because on form we'll be relegated.

I'm not baying for blood. But if you made excuses for sacking Allen, then you should acknowledge that now the same decision would be understandable.

syd

And as for Premier League experience, both of those managers are young and bright and will have learnt from their mistakes.

Other managers with better experience at this level include Sounness, Reid and Royle. If we want to get there, we have to think about what we-ll do when that happens.

But yes, agreed, it shouldn't be the priority.

CORNISH FOX

Greetings all, from a new member.
There seems to have been a desease eating away at the club since the loss against Wycombe in the FA cup 1/4 final a few years ago now. Every year since as been the same. Dire football, players with little or no invention, and managers all out of the Howard Wilkinson school of coaching. With the exception of the promotion year under Mikey Adams, when the football still wasnt that good, but a mass improvement on today.
Ollie was the wrong choice, but do we give him time? Might as well cos we're going down whatever. We need a good young manager to come in, with fresh ideas, wants to play creative football and entertain. We certainly deserve it! Paul Ince is my suggestion, bring back all our kids who are doing well out on loan, give him money not free transfers and get rid of 80% of the present squad!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669