The Talking Balls Book Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a box set of five football biographies from Poundland the other day.

David Beckham My Son - Ted Beckham
Playing Extra Time - Alan Ball
Fowler - Robbie Fowler
Bestie, Autobiography of George Best - Joe Lovejoy
Kevin Keegan - Michael Hodges

Are any of them any good or should I just put them on eBay?

Surely that is a biography?

How many football autobiographies do you think are actually written by the player?

I don't care but it shouldn't be called an Autobiography. Even if it is "ghost written".

Ive just started a book called inverting the pyramid, a histroy of football tactics. Seems fairly interesting so far. I'll report back later!

Just arrived this morning. It has a quote from Matt Lucas on the cover saying "Even funnier than the funniest book I've ever read".

Bald headed coot better be right otherwise I'll look to him for a refund.

Just arrived this morning. It has a quote from Matt Lucas on the cover saying "Even funnier than the funniest book I've ever read".

Bald headed coot better be right otherw*s* I'll look to him for a refund.

Whether he's right or not depends on which usage of the root word 'funny' Lucas is using. If it's the one I'm best acquainted with (which, according to dictionary.com is: providing fun; causing amusement or laughter; amusing; comical) then you should expect it to raise a frequent titter.

However, if it's the one Matt Lucas knows best, and the one people apparently use when they say something like 'Little Britain is funny' (which appears to mean: providing boredom; causing bemusement or sleep; repetitive; shit), you can fully expect to be wearing a wholly perplexed look for the first six pages, after which you'll throw it in the bin.

However, if it's the one Matt Lucas knows best, and the one people apparently use when they say something like 'Little Britain is funny' (which appears to mean: providing boredom; causing bemusement or sleep; repetitive; shit), you can fully expect to be wearing a wholly perplexed look for the first six pages, after which you'll throw it in the bin.

:icon_lol:

the kite runner.
A soft, cheerful tale of afghan life....

The Bone Garden - Tess Gerritsen. Not anywhere near as gruesome as her other books, but a good read none the less.

Hadn't been through this thread before, but some interesting recommendations. I thought I'd throw my tuppence in... and the books that spring to mind in the best that I have ever read category (as opposed to easy-to-read good books such as Dan Brown etc) are:

Atonement - Ian McEwan
Human Traces - Sebastian Faulks
Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini
The Curious Incedent of The Dog in the Night Time - Mark Haddon

Any other recommendations along this lines much appreciated...

And if you're in to literary short stories:

Everything That Rises Must Converge - Flannery O'Connor

I'll be picking up some of the suggested reading from this thread asap.

Hadn't been through this thread before, but some interesting recommendations. I thought I'd throw my tuppence in... and the books that spring to mind in the best that I have ever read category (as opposed to easy-to-read good books such as Dan Brown

WOAH, WOAH, WOAH (that's English for 'stop a horse') :018:
You lost me at that point Dog

WOAH, WOAH, WOAH (that's English for 'stop a horse') :018:
You lost me at that point Dog

You know what I meant - holiday reading, something to keep your mind occupied while not demanding of any actual attention. The sort of book that I've started buying as audiobooks for my marathon training - enough to take my mind off the fact that I'm running, but low-brow enough that I can miss 5 minutes and it doesn't matter.

Going to start on the new Lee Childs book tonight.

Could be in for a long session.

It's a good 'un

Got 20 or so pages left.

Disappointed that Reacher hasn't got his end away in this one yet. Thought that Susan (Amanda) was a nailed on cert.

He could be leaving it late of course.......

Bought Lovely Bones on the way to Cardiff on Tuesday and read it on the way home. A good read.
Haven't seen the film version so don't know how much detail has been changed.

Have just spent the afternoon reading the latest Mark Billingham 'Blood Line' and I thought it was pretty good.

Now I need to buy some new ones and nearly spent a small fortune in Waterstones in Brum yesterday but resisted. Several new book outs that tempt me but will have to wit til payday, I've got enough stuff to pay out for this month already!

Ive just started a book called inverting the pyramid, a histroy of football tactics. Seems fairly interesting so far. I'll report back later!

It's a really interesting read. Jonathan Wilson is one of the few football writers worth reading imo, his articles in the Guardian & the Times and other book about Eastern European football are both really interesting too. Has another book coming out this year regarding games that changed the face of English football or something along those lines. Looking forward to it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Bournemouth00
2Arsenal00
3Aston Villa00
4Brentford00
5Brighton00
6Chelsea00
7Palace00