The Talking Balls Book Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Lost Symbol. Virtually a re-write of the Da Vinci Code only set in Washington with the Masons instead of the catholic church.

Starts off well with it's fast pace keeping you turning the page but the longer it goes on the more it gets on your nerves with Prof Langdon having to spend 2 pages explaining everything he's just said.

If anyone cannot work out the true identity of the villian within 10 seconds of him being introduced then you're just not trying. 5.5/10

nearly finished my last flashman of the entire series...:icon_sad:

Just finished Kitchener's Last Volunteer: The Life of Henry Allingham. A great insight into the social history throughout the 100 odd years of his life.

I'm reading: The First Casualty: The War Correspondent as Hero, Propagandist and Myth-Maker, by Phillip Knightley.

Well written book as well as a good history lesson.

The original novel by Nicholas Pileggi about Henry Hill and the Goodfellas. Watched the film so many times but this novel was still a brilliant read.

Although I was disappointed that it seems the "Funny how?" scene was dramatic license and doesn't appear in the novel! But almost everything else in the film seemed to be based on the real events.

Currently reading Robert Peston's book, Who Runs Britain.

Fascinating account of an area I previously knew little about.

I was surprised, for example, that Northern Rock wasn't involved to a significant extent in the sub prime market.

It was just badly run relying on borrowing money to get by on a day-to-day basis.

The banks froze and stopped lending to each other because they realised they weren't aware of the extent of the damage caused by the sub prime stock and Northern Rock was the most exposed to that risk.

Currently reading Robert Peston's book, Who Runs Britain.

Fascinating account of an area I previously knew little about.

I was surprised, for example, that Northern Rock wasn't involved to a significant extent in the sub prime market.

It was just badly run relying on borrowing money to get by on a day-to-day basis.

The banks froze and stopped lending to each other because they realised they weren't aware of the extent of the damage caused by the sub prime stock and Northern Rock was the most exposed to that risk.

riveting:icon_wink

Dearly Devoted Dexter

The second in the series of Dexter books.
Fantasic read really gripping just as the first book was - Darkly Dreaming Dexter.
Also if you haven't watched any of the TV series I suggest you do!

Dearly Devoted Dexter

The second in the series of Dexter books.
Fantasic read really gripping just as the first book was - Darkly Dreaming Dexter.
Also if you haven't watched any of the TV series I suggest you do!

Not as good as Dexter's lab.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670