The US 2020 Election Thoughts/Predictions

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's going to get a helluva lot closer yet. The predicted 'red mirage' turns out to have some blue in it; Trump may just scramble over the line in 3 states (with large college votes) soon to announce. Biden's currently looking good but that gap could close quickly and dramatically.

It could be down to little old Nevada (with only 6 votes) to decide this (before the courts get involved obviously. Nevada. The home of Las Vegas. How fitting. Feel like rolling the dice anyone? Craps.

The whole situation is just mad from the supposed most developed democracy in the world.

Why the **** does it take so long to count some pieces of paper?

Also love how the trumpettes are simultaneously protesting to stop counting votes in states where they have a lead but also protesting to keep counting where they are losing.

Whatever the outcome, its one pretty ****ed up country right now!

It's not as simple as that.

There's more votes than ever before. Way more postal votes. If the system is anything like the one used in the UK, postal votes take a lot longer to count, because they have to check signatures to make sure the person voting is who they say they are.
And they're having to do all this with social distancing measures in place, which slows things down.

It always takes a few days to know the actual final result. But it's not usually this close, so the winner is usually known sooner.

But the amount of time it takes to count the votes isn't really that important. The new president doesn't take over until January.

cuz there's a **** of a lot of them!

Different states have different rules and processes but it all comes together eventually and, as Jeff says, the fat lady doesn't officially sing for some time yet.

It didn't help that some states decided not to start counting postal votes until after the polls closed on Tuesday, Pennsylvania being one, Florida counted them on election day. Pennsylvania were asked not to do that by both main parties but for some reason their GOP legislature refused.

I've been browsing twitter. Looks a done deal. I thought Biden spoke really well in his last speech. If he can function effectively for four years, he will be a good president.

I do find it rather ironic that several of the people from this side of the Atlantic saying that we must respect every vote etc. have spent the last four years complaining about the outcoe of a democratic vote that took place here.

I do find it rather ironic that several of the people from this side of the Atlantic saying that we must respect every vote etc. have spent the last four years complaining about the outcoe of a democratic vote that took place here.
“Democratic vote” ffs

Biden closing down Trump’s lead in Georgia like Vardy on a waddling fullback.

The fat lady is clearing her throat.

Arizona is swinging back to Trump, that could make things (more) interesting. Initially called for Biden by most 'decision desks' (including the defacto horse's mouth the Associated Press) the gap has closed significantly since. They've still got 10% of their votes to count (and delays)

By the time they release thier final figures though it could well make no material difference to the outcome. Fun and intrigue though.

I following the election on the NY Times (who haven't called Arizona yet BTW) - as well as other sources - and I like their coverage and analysis.

It's not as simple as that.

There's more votes than ever before. Way more postal votes. If the system is anything like the one used in the UK, postal votes take a lot longer to count, because they have to check signatures to make sure the person voting is who they say they are.
And they're having to do all this with social distancing measures in place, which slows things down.

It always takes a few days to know the actual final result. But it's not usually this close, so the winner is usually known sooner.

But the amount of time it takes to count the votes isn't really that important. The new president doesn't take over until January.

And, you know, the plague.

Not until some of the lunatics who support him decide to attack the tabulating offices, destroy them and he then claims that the result shouldn't stand because the count wasn't completed. That might sound totally outlandish but nothing he does/says surprises me anymore.

Too early to say definitively. It's a 0.1% lead (or around 5,500) lead with 95% of votes counted, that's a ballpark 350k votes to count.

It's looking good but keep the champagne on ice just a tad longer. Even if Biden doesn't take Pa. he'll get the numbers elsewhere.

Edit: one of the 'decision desks' has called it for Biden, hence saying he's the next president of the US, wonder when the others (including AP) will follow suit?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Ipswich4389
2Leicester4288
3Leeds Utd4387
4Southampton4284
5West Brom4372
6Norwich City4371
7Hull City4265