The US 2020 Election Thoughts/Predictions

Status
Not open for further replies.
He will then pack the intelligence agency with sycophants who will look at anything that could possibly be linked to Biden and use that as an excuse to not recognise him as the next President.

What he probably has failed to realise is that the constitution states that his term of office ends in January and he must have either won the elction or be replaced by someone who has. The irony is in the event of these things happening until a newly elected President can take office the Speaker of the House becomes a de facto President....welcome President Nancy Pelosi.

To have even a slither of belief that the clip isn't real is to vastly overestimate some Americans.

These Trump supporters are being treated like animals in a zoo. Being pointed at and laughed at. I understand that and have to hold back from it myself.

However, when will supposedly intelligent people learn that this approach makes it worse? If you are on the wrong side of the argument, what does this sort of thing do?

I'd suggest that it doesn't make those people people rethink their opinions. I think it makes them double-down on them. And that makes everything even more extreme and potentially dangerous.

Biden seems like a grown up that has no time for this sort of thing but I fear that he will be constantly undermined by those on the left of him. He will probably find his own side more destructive than the Trump apologists.

The media have a role here to play it straight rather than pandering to finger pointing. As do those with a social media platform. If they don't, I do fear that America is going to get worse before it gets better. And that won't be down to Trump, it will be because of smart arses.

These Trump supporters are being treated like animals in a zoo. Being pointed at and laughed at. I understand that and have to hold back from it myself.

However, when will supposedly intelligent people learn that this approach makes it worse? If you are on the wrong side of the argument, what does this sort of thing do?

I'd suggest that it doesn't make those people people rethink their opinions. I think it makes them double-down on them. And that makes everything even more extreme and potentially dangerous.

Biden seems like a grown up that has no time for this sort of thing but I fear that he will be constantly undermined by those on the left of him. He will probably find his own side more destructive than the Trump apologists.

The media have a role here to play it straight rather than pandering to finger pointing. As do those with a social media platform. If they don't, I do fear that America is going to get worse before it gets better. And that won't be down to Trump, it will be because of smart arses.
Have you watched much American news coverage, BN? I don’t think they’re that interested in balance, as they’re pandering to their market. Equally, those with a social media platform are, generally, one sided by default. This applies to both sides of the divide, so I suspect you’re asking for something that isn’t likely to happen.

There is no such thing as real news coverage in the US, with one or two exceptions, it's "entertainment."

Have you watched much American news coverage, BN? I don’t think they’re that interested in balance, as they’re pandering to their market. Equally, those with a social media platform are, generally, one sided by default. This applies to both sides of the divide, so I suspect you’re asking for something that isn’t likely to happen.

I agree. I watched a lot of CNN over the last couple of weeks and it was so obvious from it why America is such a mess. Supposedly intelligent people sneering and taking great delight in doing so.

My Twitter feed is full of this sort of thing too. Despite the fact that I attempt to follow a broad range of views, the really dangerous stuff seems to me to be coming from the left. Dangerous because of what these views ignite.

I agree. I watched a lot of CNN over the last couple of weeks and it was so obvious from it why America is such a mess. Supposedly intelligent people sneering and taking great delight in doing so.

My Twitter feed is full of this sort of thing too. Despite the fact that I attempt to follow a broad range of views, the really dangerous stuff seems to me to be coming from the left. Dangerous because of what these views ignite.
I think it’s “dangerous” to label either side as dangerous. The issue isn’t the side people are representing, it’s the divisive nature of the rhetoric, whether that be from the right or the left. I think this sort of stuff annoys me though, as I refuse to see the world through binary eyes, despite the fact that many wish to drive people down that route - “you’re either with us, or against us”. You’re never going to unite people, if you can’t at least listen to what the “other side” is saying.

For the record, I’m not on social media myself (unless this site counts), so only see any of it when people either send me links, or it’s posted on here.

Wait, hold on, I’m losing track. Let me get a pen. We’re saying the left are to blame for the far right now? Is this like women being at fault for the existence of incel paedos and MGTOW dipshits?
He does have a point (not blaming the left, I don't think that was his point) but that sneering and ridiculing isn't going to calm down the tensions that people (largely on the left at the moment) claim to want to calm down, and I'm very left. It was the same four years ago, Trump's right supporters did exactly the same thing and it led to four years of increasing vileness, largely from his side.

If the tensions are going to calm down, then people with platforms need to grow up and act like decent human beings, which unfortunately has never and will never happen. I also am of the opinion that having celebrities constantly coming out and telling people who to vote for (largely left-leaning celebs) only drives people further away. For some reason, they can't relate to a celeb living in a mansion, but feel Johnson and Trump are somehow far more on their level. It's ridiculous and doesn't account for people acting like stubborn morons, but sometimes you have to work with the audience you have.

At least, I think that's BNs point.

He does have a point (not blaming the left, I don't think that was his point) but that sneering and ridiculing isn't going to calm down the tensions that people (largely on the left at the moment) claim to want to calm down, and I'm very left. It was the same four years ago, Trump's right supporters did exactly the same thing and it led to four years of increasing vileness, largely from his side.

If the tensions are going to calm down, then people with platforms need to grow up and act like decent human beings, which unfortunately has never and will never happen. I also am of the opinion that having celebrities constantly coming out and telling people who to vote for (largely left-leaning celebs) only drives people further away. For some reason, they can't relate to a celeb living in a mansion, but feel Johnson and Trump are somehow far more on their level. It's ridiculous and doesn't account for people acting like stubborn morons, but sometimes you have to work with the audience you have.

At least, I think that's BNs point.

That was absolutely my point, as I suspect BM knows full well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757