Time to laugh at Leeds again

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe that any Leeds badge should show banknotes.

Apologies for repeating what I had put on a previous thread but I came across a fascinating YouTube piece on the ostracism of Gary Sprake as a whistleblower.

David Frost once asked Brian Clough why he disliked Revie so much. His answer was "I can't tell you. Its impossible. We'd be taken off the air." We now know he had come in on a conversation between Revie and a referee that convinced him the referee had been bribed.

When Revie took over Leeds in 1961 they were in danger of relegation. Bob Stokoe the Bury manager claimed Revie had tried to bribe Bury to lose. Obviously we do not know how many times bribes were accepted.

In 1972 Bill McGarry the Wolves manager was convinced his players had been offered money to lose to Leeds and warned them that if he suspected they had taken a bribe they would never play football again.

It is worth remembering that if Leeds did bribe their way out of relegation in 1961 some other club was unjustly relegated.

When Revie took over Leeds in 1961 they were in danger of relegation. Bob Stokoe the Bury manager claimed Revie had tried to bribe Bury to lose. Obviously we do not know how many times bribes were accepted.
Not the same season; Bury were in Division 3.
It is worth remembering that if Leeds did bribe their way out of relegation in 1961 some other club was unjustly relegated.
Unlikely. When Revie took over they were on 30 points. The two teams that were eventually relegated, Portsmouth and Lincoln, were on 22 and 18 respectively. In terms of points, they were closer to relegation at the end of the season than when he became manager.

I’ve met some of the Leeds players from that era - Peter Lorimer, Johnny Giles and Paul Reaney. This adds nothing to the conversation, but they all seemed like nice blokes.

Not the same season; Bury were in Division 3.

Unlikely. When Revie took over they were on 30 points. The two teams that were eventually relegated, Portsmouth and Lincoln, were on 22 and 18 respectively. In terms of points, they were closer to relegation at the end of the season than when he became manager.

It was the second season, 61-62 that the supposed attempt at a bribe was made. Stokoe's version was never corroborated, and now we live in an age of managers lauded for being wind-up merchants, Revie just seems like a ham-fisted early prototype for SAF and the chosen one. Leeds struggled that season, but the improved form of Jack Charlton, the emergence of Billy Bremner and most decisively, the recruitment of Albert Johannesen and pocket dynamo Bobby Collins was far more plausible for their climb up the table and the springboard for the next ten years.

Never a great admirer of Leeds, but our games against them through the 60s were always great in terms of football quality and mostly draws. Someone (possibly Norman Hunter) said that they preferred to play but if the opposition wanted it the other way - Chelsea for eg - then they'd do that too.

Here is one of those draws. City vs Leeds in 1967-68 on Match of the Day when there was only one game shown.
This is part one but if you watch it through YouTube at the end it then starts on part 2 and then 3, 4 and 5. All action stuff, not always quality but entertaining no less, and in view of the pitch (you can see why we eventually went for that tent) it's good to watch.
You can see in the first free kick given away by Norman Hunter inside the first few minutes that if they didn't get the ball then take the player instead. However as we scored from the free kick (the Mighty String) justice was served and the Referee gave a lecture to Hunter beforehand, when these days a booking should ensue.

Those who persevere will be treated to Graham Cross and Johnny Giles almost coming to blows, after Giles committed what we call a professional foul these days. Frank Large scoring off his arse after a challenge on Sprake that you'd never get away with these days.

Peter Shilton manhandling the Referee after Leeds scored, no doubt something the ref had missed that lead to the goal. Shilts was well wound up in this game and there was more going on that the cameras didn't pick up I imagine, his reaction to Greenhoff at one point shows this.

I think there's a stamp by Billy Bremner on Fern that's hard to tell for sure with the cameras as theres no TV replays. Billy also almost takes Frank Larges head off too with a high foot.

In the interests of full disclosure, there's a lovely bit where Eddie Gray dribbles into the penalty area and clears the late, late tackle with a leap reminiscent of Jess Ennis in the hurdles. Not something today's draw the foul merchants would do.

Yes perhaps I should of added City could give as well as take. It was the game back then and there were challenges and fouls (some not given) on both sides.

I'm not sure but late on in the game down the right in front of the Kop when Greenhoff is dragged down, it looks like he gives a few fingers to the no doubt baying crowd, in what became Pen 4, that probably reckoned he'd made too much of the challenge.:D

So they've had to Buy 'Eck(ingbottom)?

Eee Ecky Thump (younger posters may need to google)

8455f68eacfedb5536b93bd809e54061.jpg

I ****ing love Leeds, stupid ****s

They've got Marcelo Bielsa in. Don't know how they've managed that.. still, it's Leeds so no doubt they'll **** it up and he'll get the boot within a few months.

Perfect fit, two tossers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4391
2Leeds Utd4490
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4384
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4366