Pre Match Tottenham Hotspur Vs Leicester City

Status
Not open for further replies.
Broadening things out a bit from just Pearson, one would have to ask what the entire coaching staff have done for us.

I believe, from what I read, that Steve Walsh is the main scout/recruiter. I think that it would be almost universally agreed that we have brought in some good players so, well done to him.

Which of these players has risen in value whilst at City? For all the millions that have been spent, when we go down which players does anyone foresee moving on, with us making a profit? The only three possible shouts that I can see are;

Vardy - but after this season would we get more than we paid?
King - might make a small profit, as he came through the ranks, but hardly major.
Moore - seems to have fallen from promise to reject.

None of our players, over the entire Pearson reign, have gone on to greater things. When people say how great the Pearson era has been, this is the major weakness that I see in their case.

So that is all his fault then?

So if we had Wenger or Mourhino with the same resources and the same results that would be their fault as well.

The implication is, given the resources available, any other manager would have produced a BETTER set of results, whereas it is possible a different manager given the same resources may have produced a WORSE set of results.

What kind of argument is this? Of course he is responsible for our position. His job is getting results. He's had resources and time to sort it out and has, thus far, completely failed. At what point do you hold a manager responsible under your line of thinking? When should a manager be sacked?

Broadening things out a bit from just Pearson, one would have to ask what the entire coaching staff have done for us.

I believe, from what I read, that Steve Walsh is the main scout/recruiter. I think that it would be almost universally agreed that we have brought in some good players so, well done to him.

Which of these players has risen in value whilst at City? For all the millions that have been spent, when we go down which players does anyone foresee moving on, with us making a profit? The only three possible shouts that I can see are;

King - might make a small profit, as he came through the ranks, but hardly major.

None of our players, over the entire Pearson reign, have gone on to greater things. When people say how great the Pearson era has been, this is the major weakness that I see in their case.

Mahrez?

Yes, we should get our money back, or even profit, from the sale of Mahrez but again, I would say that was shrewd purchasing, rather than anything that we have added to his game. What is the betting that, were he to stay next season, he'd end up out of the team and on loan to a First Division club?

Gradel is the exception that comes to mind for me, but I think generally you make a very good point. The likes of Wood, Knockaert, Vardy, Drinkwater, James and Moore are highly unlikely to go onto better things than Leicester City Football Club in the future.

Do many teams sell lots of players for profit? There are a few, Southampton etc that bring though a lot of youth players, but not many sell for big bucks from other clubs When bought in past the youth stage.

So if we had Wenger or Mourhino with the same resources and the same results that would be their fault as well.

The implication is, given the resources available, any other manager would have produced a BETTER set of results, whereas it is possible a different manager given the same resources may have produced a WORSE set of results.

Yes, it is entirely NPs fault. Rarely if ever has a City manager got a team up in better circumstances. Plenty of money, poor standard of opposition, loads of time to prepare, etc, He and he alone has made a total mess of it.

There are loads of managers that would have made a much better job of it than him. I'm sure he'll never manage at this level again which will illustrate just how out of his depth he has been. Of course, we can all come up with plenty that would have been as inept as NP too. But surely that isn't the point. We went with NP and he's failed miserably in every way possible.

Last edited:
NP massively under estimated the quality of the team that got us promoted, the one thing that is imperative at this level is pace in the defence, and the ability to pass the ball out from the back! We have not been a disgrace thus far, but we have seriously lacked bite on quite few occasions. NP has showed complete contempt for other sides, and as a result we have been turned over. The difference between the championship and the prem, is 9 times out ten the strikers put the ball away, NP decided to keep our top scorer on the bench, alongside the one player who is solid and can deliver crosses consistently.
I am sick and tired of hearing folk praising the likes of Schlupp, he is too inconsistent, if he was the opposite he would have been bought seasons ago. Vardy I am uncertain, he took a season to get to grips with the championship, maybe he needed a season in the premiership to get going, shame I really thought teams would not see him coming, however after the Man Utd game every body sat up and took notice, they paid us respect, NP paid every one else none, you live and die by your decisions, sadly he will fall on his sword, loyalty is a good thing but at what cost? even if we won 90% of the last remaining games and stayed up, he has to go. People saying he could still cut it in the championship is madness, NP for some reason does not learn from his mistakes, he is making the same bad decisions when we nearly cocked up and took us from top to just making the play offs!
Funny thing is if we beat spurs on the weekend, it will seriously fu## up there European ambitions, Love his response to the reporter after the dull game, pretty funny.

Last edited:
TOF, even though I rarely agree with you, sometimes I'd say you do make well reasoned points. But then you go and say stuff like this that ruins it...

Yes, we should get our money back, or even profit, from the sale of Mahrez
"Or even profit" - don't be ridiculous. We apparently paid about 400,000 for him. If we were to offer him for sale at the end of the season for as little as, say, ten times that amount, I reckon pretty much every club in the top two divisions would be in for him, plus half of Europe.

I would say that was shrewd purchasing, rather than anything that we have added to his game
Even from more than 5,000 miles away, I can see that we've added a defensive element to his game that wasn't there when he signed. That's clear to see for anyone who's been paying any attention at all.

What is the betting that, were he to stay next season, he'd end up out of the team and on loan to a First Division club?
I'll take you up on the bet, as there is absolutely zero chance of that happening, obviously. None whatsoever. That's a stupid comment, I'm afraid. Oh dear!

I think that the problem for Pearson is that he made quite a big deal pre-season of telling everyone that he was confident that his Championship players were good enough for the Premier League. This has proved to be very wrong indeed. That said, I think its come as a nasty shock to most of us seeing how out of our depth we are. I think his tactics have been poor but I do understand that he has avoided so far any real hammerings.

The messages from this season are chilling for future promoted sides. Our players look like they are playing in the wrong division. I think it would take a very special managerial skill to keep a side like Leicester in the Premier League.

Surely there must be a proper review at the end of the season and then big decisions regarding the way forward.

Last edited by a moderator:
The messages from this season are chilling for future promoted sides. Our players look like they are playing in the wrong division. I think it would take a very special managerial skill to keep a side like Leicester in the Premier League.

Good point. A manager can either stick and twist when promoted. If we went for a wholesale change, it may have still had the same effect of heading to relegation. Palace made that error under Holloway but managed to get a manager suited to keeping teams up. It's a test of management skills which Nige has sadly, failed.

A real shame we couldn't have got the likes of Huth in August.

Good point. A manager can either stick and twist when promoted. If we went for a wholesale change, it may have still had the same effect of heading to relegation. Palace made that error under Holloway but managed to get a manager suited to keeping teams up. It's a test of management skills which Nige has sadly, failed.

A real shame we couldn't have got the likes of Huth in August.

Does anyone know if that was down to our former Director of Football not getting or closing deals that Nigel and his team identified?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669