Tottenham riots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone who genuinely thinks that a participant in the riot who is charged with looting deserves 5 years in prison needs to join the real world.

So what do you suggest???? A 6-month sentence and let out after 3 months??? Yeah that'd teach 'em!! That's bound to put people off from doing this sort of thing!!

So what do you suggest???? A 6-month sentence and let out after 3 months??? Yeah that'd teach 'em!! That's bound to put people off from doing this sort of thing!!

I'm not trying to defend them, but some of the sentences and solutions being genuinely proposed on the internet are incredible. How does your 5 year sentence fit into the greater justice system in comparison to similar length sentences, such as armed robbery, etc.? This woman has been charged with (opportunist) looting; not fire-bombing or GBH.

The government needs to start getting tougher with all forms of crime IMO. These rioters need to be given jail time if they are caught/ identified, not just community service. For the younger chavs (I've heard there are people up to this that are as young as 9!) I would fine their parents. It may sound harsh but IMO it's the only way to deal with that age bracket, in the long run parents should hopefully be more responsible looking after their little children rather than allowing them to go out so late at night and participate in this sort of thing. I appreciate that sometimes some children are so unruly that the parents can do nothing but like I said, I think the government needs to come down hard on crime in the wake of this.

Life sentences that actually mean life would be a good change too. If we need to build more prisons to keep the uncivilized out of society then I think it's a price worth paying.

I'm not trying to defend them, but some of the sentences and solutions being genuinely proposed on the internet are incredible. How does your 5 year sentence fit into the greater justice system in comparison to similar length sentences, such as armed robbery, etc.? This woman has been charged with (opportunist) looting; not fire-bombing or GBH.
How do you know it was opportunist? You don't appear in the middle of a riot by accident you know ( and then appear as if by magic in a Richer Sounds store ). I see that he's been passed over to Crown Court, as the Magistrates Court can only sentence up to six months. Bearing in mind that he won't serve the whole term, I would have though a year would be good enough to give him time to reflect.

How do you know it was opportunist? You don't appear in the middle of a riot by accident you know ( and then appear as if by magic in a Richer Sounds store ). I see that he's been passed over to Crown Court, as the Magistrates Court can only sentence up to six months. Bearing in mind that he won't serve the whole term, I would have though a year would be good enough to give him time to reflect.

:038:

How do you know it was opportunist? You don't appear in the middle of a riot by accident you know ( and then appear as if by magic in a Richer Sounds store ).

I don't know. I'm only commenting on the crime that they've been charged with. I don't mean that they have just been pickpocketing, but most of the looters appear to be following the hooligans around and just stealing any leftovers. The BBC news reporter said yesterday people were following them around with holdalls, as they assumed that the reporters would know where the riots were.

I see that he's been passed over to Crown Court, as the Magistrates Court can only sentence up to six months. Bearing in mind that he won't serve the whole term, I would have though a year would be good enough to give him time to reflect.

Sounds about right (although I think it's a 'she').

The real , the real world, wtf is the real world?

In other countries police are armed to the teeth, looters are shot on sight, is that the real world?

I'm not saying they will get 5 years, I'm saying if it is upto me they would get 5 years.
As for time off for good behaviour, sure, you can get out after 5 years if you're a good boy/girl.
Life should mean life.
This country has slowly gone too soft on giving out justice to the guilty.
People in authority are frightened of the pc brigade, the do gooders, the ambulance chasers.
It is all resulting in a self preservation culture. an I'm alright Jack attitude.

I am hoping, but not holding my breath, that one outcome of all these riots is tha Government wake up and smell the coffee. This country is not in as rosy a condition as they like to think it is.
Before we spend any more millions of pounds in foreign aid, use some of that money to improve our beloved country.

I don't know. I'm only commenting on the crime that they've been charged with. I don't mean that they have just been pickpocketing, but most of the looters appear to be following the hooligans around and just stealing any leftovers. The BBC news reporter said yesterday people were following them around with holdalls, as they assumed that the reporters would know where the riots were.

Sounds about right (although I think it's a 'she').
As Croydon was a war zone that night, and he was found in the back of the shop at 12.00, it fair to guess he didn't just stumble across the scene.
Looking at the photos he is a he.:icon_bigg

Last edited:
As Croydon was a war zone that night, and he was found in the back of the shop at 12.00, it fair to guess he didn't just stumble across the scene.
Looking at the photos he is a he.:icon_bigg

Not taken at "her" most flattering angle then :icon_bigg

Last edited:
Anyone who genuinely thinks that a participant in the riot who is charged with looting deserves 5 years in prison needs to join the real world.

..... or make those people who think like that pay extra tax to cover it. :icon_wink

Some of the solutions mentioned here and elsewhere will only make the situation worse. I have seen very little on this forum or elsewhere that goes anywhere close to preventing a situation like the one going on from happening in the future. :icon_neut

Some of the solutions mentioned here and elsewhere will only make the situation worse. I have seen very little on this forum or elsewhere that goes anywhere close to preventing a situation like the one going on from happening in the future. :icon_neut

How would you resolve this? :)

Last edited:
How do you stop a professional person with a decent job acting like a hooligan Steven? Any answers?

I haven't seen it yet, but Alexis Bailey, covering his face with a newspaper, walked into a lamp post after the hearing. I hope it bloody well hurt!:icon_bigg

Last edited:
How would you reseolve this? :)

Give people jobs and thereby some form of hope. Without hope you end up in this situation, unmitigated criminality from a group of people that do not care. :(

Give people jobs and thereby some form of hope. Without hope you end up in this situation, unmitigated criminality from a group of people that do not care. :(

One in court today was a 31 year old teacher - what's her excuse?

How do you stop a professional person with a decent job acting like a hooligan Steven? Any answers?

This guy is a chancer and not part of a larger disaffected group of young people. Banging him up for five years will not stop the next fool who comes along.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669