Tottenham riots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Give people jobs, lovely feckin answer.

Ask Lazzer, he had 4 interviewees recently, not one turned up.

Reduce the benefit culture and make it worth while them going to work.
At present, they get a hell of a lot given to them on a plate, and they have no intention of working.
You've got to ask yourself, why should they when this country is too soft on them.

Give people jobs and thereby some form of hope. Without hope you end up in this situation, unmitigated criminality from a group of people that do not care. :(

Perhaps these people would be more employable if they weren't so quick to promote themselves as selfish, disrespectful, violent ****tards. Radical thought i know!

Give people jobs is a ridiculous answer. I've got my eyes open for a permanent job right now as I would like to get back into a permanent position but there are just not enough suitable ones around. Fortunately I have a small self employed income and that combines with doing some ongoing agency work in Lutterworth at the minute while I hope and wait for a suitable permanent job to crop up again.

Either way if it were so simple as just getting a job, there wouldn't be so many unemployed. Even so regardless of the employment situation in the country, there is still no need for rioting.

Give people jobs is a ridiculous answer. I've got my eyes open for a permanent job right now as I would like to get back into a permanent position but there are just not enough suitable ones around. Fortunately I have a small self employed income and that combines with doing some ongoing agency work in Lutterworth at the minute while I hope and wait for a suitable permanent job to crop up again.

Either way if it were so simple as just getting a job, there wouldn't be so many unemployed. Even so regardless of the employment situation in the country, there is still no need for rioting.

That's a key word. There is work out there, you just don't want to do certain types.

If you bang up one of the young offenders in the riot for 2/3/4 or 5 years, when he gets out he will have missed a large part of growing up and will enter back in to the world as a fully fledge adult. He will probably have kids. He won't be able to get a job because of his past and he will be further disenchanted against the system and will use it as an excuse. His kids will grow up with the same attitude and chip on their shoulder and will continue the cycle.

We need to break the cycle not make it worse. I have no idea how.

That's a key word. There is work out there, you just don't want to do certain types.

If you bang up one of the young offenders in the riot for 2/3/4 or 5 years, when he gets out he will have missed a large part of growing up and will enter back in to the world as a fully fledge adult. He will probably have kids. He won't be able to get a job because of his past and he will be further disenchanted against the system and will use it as an excuse. His kids will grow up with the same attitude and chip on their shoulder and will continue the cycle.

It's not always that I don't want to do certain types, it's that if an employer has a position going for say a manager of something or other and I don't have managerial experience than I'm not going to get it even if I do apply. There really aren't that many jobs that us average joes can do and obviously when one does come up there are no end of people that will be applying for them. In my personal situation I'm after a fulltime warehousing job or something similar, maybe in the food insdustry as that is where alot of my experience is - I'm not the kind of person who would do well at or enjoy a job like being a customer service staff at a bank or working on the tills in tesco! I'd like to invest in starting my own business up fulltime too but until I get back a secure fulltime job I'm not really comfortable with raiding my savings to use on a bit of a gamble like that...

Regarding sentencing, you say all that but IMO sentences are light enough as it is and clearly aren't having the desired effect of sorting these people out. They serve their short sentence and they go out and do it again... maybe you just can't win either way! In which case, better to bang them up for a number of years than keep them in society causing trouble....

If there was such a deterrent, maybe some looters/lowlifes would think twice about committing the crime. Whilst they know all they will get is a slap on the wrist,or heaven forbid an ASBO, the cycle WILL continue.

As I said earlier we have gone too soft in this country.
It is time for those in power to start earning their crust!

If there was such a deterrent, maybe some looters/lowlifes would think twice about committing the crime. Whilst they know all they will get is a slap on the wrist,or heaven forbid an ASBO, the cycle WILL continue.

As I said earlier we have gone too soft in this country.
It is time for those in power to start earning their crust!

And how would you fund these extra costs?

And how would you fund these extra costs?

Had a very quick look around. Based on 2008 figures:

A prisoner costs around £40,000 per year to keep in prison. You want to keep the rioters locked up for 5 years so £200,000 per prisoner. So far, there have been 750 arrests in London alone. Even with a 50% conviction rate, that totals to £75,000,000 to keep those in prison for 5 years.

In this climate, where are we going to take that money from? Not to mention the cost of building all the new prison spaces. The article mentions £119,000 per prison space. So that's another £44,625,000 if we need to build them all.

All that and not one of the prisoners has paid any debt to society. At least with community service work they are doing something to repair the damage they have caused.

Had a very quick look around. Based on 2008 figures:

A prisoner costs around £40,000 per year to keep in prison. You want to keep the rioters locked up for 5 years so £200,000 per prisoner. So far, there have been 750 arrests in London alone. Even with a 50% conviction rate, that totals to £75,000,000 to keep those in prison for 5 years.

In this climate, where are we going to take that money from? Not to mention the cost of building all the new prison spaces. The article mentions £119,000 per prison space. So that's another £44,625,000 if we need to build them all.

All that and not one of the prisoners has paid any debt to society. At least with community service work they are doing something to repair the damage they have caused.

Good case for the Death Penalty there.

£40,000 a year to keep locked up? **** me... you can live a normal life and be paying off your mortgage etc for less than that! Whatever happened to locking them all in a dark room with nothing but a pot to piss in. :icon_lol:

£40,000 a year to keep locked up? **** me... you can live a normal life and be paying off your mortgage etc for less than that! Whatever happened to locking them all in a dark room with nothing but a pot to piss in. :icon_lol:

We stopped being a third world country.

Quite.

Give people jobs, lovely feckin answer.

Ask Lazzer, he had 4 interviewees recently, not one turned up.

Reduce the benefit culture and make it worth while them going to work.
At present, they get a hell of a lot given to them on a plate, and they have no intention of working.
You've got to ask yourself, why should they when this country is too soft on them.

It is a well known fact that there is a strong correlation between prosperity and crime levels. If all these people had jobs, that requires political will :icon_conf , then I suggest the motivation to be a thieving bastard will be somewhat less. :icon_wink

Good case for the Death Penalty there.

Actually, the death penalty is massively expensive in the USA and the US government could save hundreds of millions of dollars by scrapping it and replacing it with full life tariffs.

The only way to do the death penalty cheaply is to copy the Chinese or Saudi Arabian models, and there's no chance of that in a democratic society.

Last edited:
It is a well known fact that there is a strong correlation between prosperity and crime levels. If all these people had jobs, that requires political will :icon_conf , then I suggest the motivation to be a thieving bastard will be somewhat less. :icon_wink

What sort of jobs are suited to violent, thieving little ****s though? I can't imagine these personality traits lining up too many opportunities no matter what roles the country could create.

I wasn't supporting the Death Penalty. The figures Matt used were being used last week as an argument for it.

In-joke with myself, I am bored.

In that case I will not my shoddy online impersonation of Shami Chakrabarti.

Consider yourself saved. :icon_bigg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670