Speculation Vardy to Arsenal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read somewhere (might even have been pages back in this thread!) that Jack Wiltshire convinced Vardy of the benefits of joining Arsenal whilst they were together on England duty. If there is ANY truth to that, can you imagine the conversation? I suspect that it would have had far less to do with training facilities and the chances of major trophies, and more to do with the metropolis's ability to provide gambling dens beyond the imagination of a boy based in Leicester and enough strange substances to keep a nose stinging in perpetuity.

I genuinely do not see JV's style fitting Arsenal; their midfielders prefer to do something pretty than to throw the ball over the top for a speed merchant. I am sorry to lose him from the City squad, because he is a perfect fit to our style but, I also fear for his future...

Giroud is saying that Vardy wants to join Arsenal. I worry now that we will lose Kante and Mahrez because without the three of them we are, to a degree, a spent force and this could affect any potential new signings.

Sorry don't agree, those players will go or stay around what they believe is best for them and their careers, I really doubt any professional footballer will base their next career decision around whether Jamie Vardy stays or go or anyone else for that matter.

Regardless of the players that leave, we will still be an attractive proposition to a lot of players we are the current champions of England, will play next season in Champions league, have an experienced and respected Manager and quite possibly the best and most progressive backroom team in football, we also have a proven track record of improving our players, whilst the likes of Vardy may well feel he has outgrown us, there will be plenty of players on our radar capable of coming in and having a similar impact and see us as the next step in their career.

I've woken up annoyed with Vardy.

While I can understand the money thing, he and his agent have been really slimy here in the way they've manouvered around the club.

He's behaved poorly, and while he's still a legend for his achievements, this will damage his legacy with the club, at least during his playing career.

He deserves a lot of credit for his footballing accomplishments, but he's acted like a shit this week.

Unless he stays, then he's lovely and I'll give him a cuddle :)

Not sure what your point is here. Do you think we'd have any trouble selling him if we went down?

Imagine that we were relegated in two years time with Vardy on £120k a week for the next two seasons. He's 32, a Championship player with his pace on the slide.

I can easily imagine a scenario where he'd much rather stay on that contract with us than move. Several players did it before when we over reached on contracts - Izzet, Elliott, Savage - were all better paid by us than other clubs were prepared to pay.

I just don't want us to be burdened with contracts that aren't sustainable for a club our size. Yes, we're growing fast but not fast enough for the sort of a contract his agent appears to be demanding.

Imagine that we were relegated in two years time with Vardy on £120k a week for the next two seasons. He's 32, a Championship player with his pace on the slide.

I can easily imagine a scenario where he'd much rather stay on that contract with us than move. Several players did it before when we over reached on contracts - Izzet, Elliott, Savage - were all better paid by us than other clubs were prepared to pay.

I just don't want us to be burdened with contracts that aren't sustainable for a club our size. Yes, we're growing fast but not fast enough for the sort of a contract his agent appears to be demanding.

See your point BN. And I'm sure whoever we sign as a replacement will be a younger, more sellable asset, should the drop hit us. Musa, for example, will be a cheaper (contract wise), younger model.

I do hope these clauses aren't going to see us sell off our other assets under market value.

Worse thing about it all is Jv will go and Wenger will build a team around Vardy that plays the same way they played with Henri. so it will work for the Arses and JV.

I'm going to take Homers advice and stop being a drama queen.

We should know one way or the other soon I suppose.

Vardy is Scum, money grabbing git with no appreciation of what city has done for him.
Vardy is free to move if he likes. How anyone can have personal issue with him is beyond me. If it were us in our jobs and a bigger more successful company came calling, what would we do?

Vardy is Scum, money grabbing git with no appreciation of what city has done for him.

I'm not surprised he's considering leaving when we have fans like you amongst our ranks.

I read somewhere (might even have been pages back in this thread!) that Jack Wiltshire convinced Vardy of the benefits of joining Arsenal whilst they were together on England duty. If there is ANY truth to that, can you imagine the conversation? I suspect that it would have had far less to do with training facilities and the chances of major trophies, and more to do with the metropolis's ability to provide gambling dens beyond the imagination of a boy based in Leicester and enough strange substances to keep a nose stinging in perpetuity.

I genuinely do not see JV's style fitting Arsenal; their midfielders prefer to do something pretty than to throw the ball over the top for a speed merchant. I am sorry to lose him from the City squad, because he is a perfect fit to our style but, I also fear for his future...

Imagine the conversation would include something about getting paid shit loads and not being expected to play any games.

I think that it is fair enough if he wants to leave. After last season he has earned the right. The wage structure is in place for a reason. We are by no means guaranteed to stay in the premier league for the next few years and we have to structure our wages accordingly. He has also helped deliver a trophy that I never thought to see at Leicester. And therefore can go with my thanks. I am sure we will find someone else to play up front!

The more I think about it the less bothered I am about him going. We already could do with an additional striker, if Vardy goes we could use atleast two. If the rumours are true about us trying to get Walcott or Ox-Chamberlain in as part of the deal that would be handy. Personally I really rate Walcott though he's not an out and out striker like Vardy is.

As far as Vardy is concerned he will be on more money but this will be a bad move for what is left of his career. I just can't see him blazing the goal trail like he has here this season whilst at Arsenal. We have very much played to his strengths this year and we have seen that Vardy is less effective when teams start to sit back on us and he has less space.

Whatever happens hopefully we can kick on by making positive additions.

Another way of looking at it would be that an investment of that sort would be made precisely to establish ourselves in the Premier League. Not making investments because we might be relegated would be a self-fulfilling prophecy. But yes, I see your point and as I said, maybe Vardy really will have a steep drop at some point in the next few years. When I think of a 34 year old I think of Zlatan and I can see why that's not really fair here...

If we replace Vardy with Walcott that would be grim. Would hope being champions would give us some buying power.

Another thing to consider is, could Vardy really achieve more? He may be thinking he's had an incredible time, finished with a magnificent team achievement and individually a great season - can he really top that?

I'd love to see him have a go at the Champions League with us but Arsenal will realistically go further than us most likely. If he was 2/3 years younger I think he'd stay and give it a go, but if he wants this move its probably his only chance

There may be SOME hope!

The Daily Mail reporter, who was the first to report the bid, has said there was no medical booked when everyone was reporting it last night.

Apparently we HAVE given Vardy a new contract offer, and Arsenal were hoping for a 2pm medical which Vardy asked to delay to give him more time to consider his options.

Hope and pray people!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670