Watford Post Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will. We're not a good enough team to carry any baggage. Everyone has to contribute, all the time. I'll give DJ time to settle in, but right now he looks a bit lightweight and we've all suffered from the Akinbiyi effect. Not that he was lightweight. Just useless. I'm being kind.

tbh I'd probably agree with you tomorrow!

But today I won't, simply cos for the first time in a long time I walked out of that ground happy.

But nobody will admit to that, its MDV we are talking about here, a bloke behind us shouted fluke when he scored his goal. What has the bloke got to do to justify the £50K we spent on him........:102:

To be fair it was only £25k because we got Maybury in the same deal.

Great performances all round by everyone. Today we saw the worst and best of de Vries, sometimes slow and clumsy but often holding the ball up, heading and passing, never ever giving up. No one deserved a goal more than he did which he created entirely for himself. On balance although he is going to fall over occasionally, I think his sheer strength at holding off the likes of Danny Shittu (literally built like a brick sh*thouse; Hume nearly broke his nose running into him!) and all round effort I think earns him a starting place, with say Cort replacing him sometime in the second half.

I think you have the summary of DeVries performance spot on, poor one minute, then doing his job really well the next.

I think you have the summary of DeVries performance spot on, poor one minute, then doing his job really well the next.

like most of the British workforce then, but in reverse.
Good one minute, then not for the rest of the day

It's about getting the right balance up front. And although MDV wasn't everybodys first choice over the summer months to lead our line this season - if it works then so be it.

I'm pleased for him; And City if we have unearthed (belatedly) a genuine good target man.

Seems typical of some fans who can see no right on DeVries.

Again tonight his poor ball control (first touch) is mentioned, what about DJ's today - the ball was bouncing much further away from him than MDV.

Certainly don't agree that DJ & Hume were better than MDV, the all played a role in this victory.

The only poor performance was the ref, it was never an 11 bookings game, while at the same time he bottled a red card when McAuley was clearly kicked after a foul (was a straight violent conduct red)

We all know none of the officials could work out who clobbered Hume & hence no action could be taken, so instead he books 2 players for afters, one of which (Clemence) was just pulling a Watford player away to try to calm him down, not fighting with him.

Seems typical of some fans who can see no right on DeVries.

Again tonight his poor ball control (first touch) is mentioned, what about DJ's today - the ball was bouncing much further away from him than MDV.

Certainly don't agree that DJ & Hume were better than MDV, the all played a role in this victory.

The only poor performance was the ref, it was never an 11 bookings game, while at the same time he bottled a red card when McAuley was clearly kicked after a foul (was a straight violent conduct red)

We all know none of the officials could work out who clobbered Hume & hence no action could be taken, so instead he books 2 players for afters, one of which (Clemence) was just pulling a Watford player away to try to calm him down, not fighting with him.

True. Fact.

But his first touch was useless. ... It's not Premiership, is it? It's mediocre in the fizzies.
Means well. Manged a couple of headers. Getting slightly less than rubbish.
Scored a goal. It must mean something. Hey?

How many of this current team are?

Weso for me was Man of match. Fantastic perfomace but not just form him the whole team worked their balls off.

I am really happy to give credit where it is due. I thought that DeVries was fantastic. He ran himself into the ground. At times slipped and looked a little clumsy but all in all he held it up excellently, his touch was good, his strength was good and his finish was very nice. Yes for a little while he wasn't in the game but the crucial point is that he never gave up and fought his way into that game. He was bloody knackered by the end and I wanted to invade the pitch and carry him off on my shoulders. He just deserves a hell of a lot of plaudits for that performance. The lack of quit in that man inspired me.

I can't believe that the most constructive thing some people can say about DeVries was that he was pish. That to me is ridiculous. If that is all you can say then you shouldn't say f-all and you probably understand nothing about human beings. DeVries has been barracked for two years by our fans, and at times by myself included. I thought that he had nothing left to offer and I did not want him near our team. But over the past few weeks he has made a believer out of me. I am really proud of his performance and I don't care what anyone says. You can hit me with a barrage of over inflated apparently intellegent insults about the man but IMO he has been fantastic. to come back and prove a point as he has takes a lot of guts and deserves a lot of respect...

So go ahead. Insult him and if you want say I know shit about football...I thought he was great and I have respect for him now.

Bollocks to the negative opinions of him and keep it up MDV.

Last edited:
F*cksake Silv, that is alot of typing.
Any chance of an executive summary because I;m f*cked if I'm reading all of that shit.

F*cksake Silv, that is alot of typing.
Any chance of an executive summary because I;m f*cked if I'm reading all of that shit.

It wasn't shit it was inspired...hardly f*cking War & Peace either mate.:icon_lol:

It wasn't shit it was inspired...hardly f*cking War & Peace either mate.:icon_lol:

Matey that is an essay.
I know how it is, I always over explain my point when I've had a few.
Seriously though, tooooooooooooooooooo long.

Okay just for you here is the watered down version.

Weso was excellent MOTM for me.

DeVries was also excellent and f*ck anyone who can only sum his performance up by saying he was pish...their seat obviously doesn't face the pitch if they even have a seat that is.

No. Its brilliant.:icon_lol:

I'm gonna have to take your word for that, it's far too late to be reading that much. :icon_wink

P.s. Give that a try what I posted on the techie forum, it should sort things out for you.

And on that note I have emptied my glass & am going to bed. God bless.

Okay just for you here is the watered down version.

Weso was excellent MOTM for me.

DeVries was also excellent and f*ck anyone who can only sum his performance up by saying he was pish...their seat obviously doesn't face the pitch if they even have a seat that is.

Aaaah right, I see. Why didn't you say? :icon_lol:

Sounds like a fantastic team performance and hopefully signs of what this team is capable of but I think there has to be some perspective and a whole lot of calming down. We lost on the opening day to newly promoted Blackpool, we struggled past Accrington in the cup and threw away a last minute equaliser at Palace, so very much a mixed bag of results and performances.

Yes 4 - 1 at home to Watford is a great result but I seem to remember a 4 - 2 demolition of Sheff Utd and the 3 - 2 cup win over Spurs under Levein heralding hopes of a return to better times but it wasn't to be. This result has to now be followed up with decent performances and results over the coming weeks to prove that this is no flash in the pan or another false dawn.

Lets keep our feet on the ground and not get too carried away, otherwise it heaps unwanted and unnecessary pressure and expectation onto the management team and players.

Fantastic
10 out of 10 to the Manager and all the players in the total destruction of one of the best teams in the league with present form.
It has been a long wait, the pleasure of turning on the computer to see that final result was inspiring.
Well done Leicester City.
I am proud of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Blackburn 00
2Bristol City00
3Burnley00
4Cardiff City00
5Coventry City00
6Derby00