Watford Post Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Weso for me was Man of match. Fantastic perfomace but not just form him the whole team worked their balls off.

I am really happy to give credit where it is due. I thought that DeVries was fantastic. He ran himself into the ground. At times slipped and looked a little clumsy but all in all he held it up excellently, his touch was good, his strength was good and his finish was very nice. Yes for a little while he wasn't in the game but the crucial point is that he never gave up and fought his way into that game. He was bloody knackered by the end and I wanted to invade the pitch and carry him off on my shoulders. He just deserves a hell of a lot of plaudits for that performance. The lack of quit in that man inspired me.

I can't believe that the most constructive thing some people can say about DeVries was that he was pish. That to me is ridiculous. If that is all you can say then you shouldn't say f-all and you probably understand nothing about human beings. DeVries has been barracked for two years by our fans, and at times by myself included. I thought that he had nothing left to offer and I did not want him near our team. But over the past few weeks he has made a believer out of me. I am really proud of his performance and I don't care what anyone says. You can hit me with a barrage of over inflated apparently intellegent insults about the man but IMO he has been fantastic. to come back and prove a point as he has takes a lot of guts and deserves a lot of respect...

So go ahead. Insult him and if you want say I know shit about football...I thought he was great and I have respect for him now.

Bollocks to the negative opinions of him and keep it up MDV.

:038::038::038::038: well said Silver..

I thought De Vries was brilliant yesterday. His 1st half wasn't great IMO, but 2nd half he was very good, and scored a very good goal !!

Well done MDV :038:

I thought De Vries was brilliant yesterday. His 1st half wasn't great IMO, but 2nd half he was very good, and scored a very good goal !!

Well done MDV :038:

He really wanted it as well. Sitting in the Kop I had a great view of his face just before the ball went over the line and you could see just how much it meant to him. He knows he gets stick off a lot of the crowd, he probably even knows that sometimes he has deserved it, but I hope this is the start of better things for him. He has worked well over the summer, lost a load of weight and hopefully will be a revelation in what we all want to be a promotion winning season.

Sounds like a fantastic team performance and hopefully signs of what this team is capable of but I think there has to be some perspective and a whole lot of calming down. We lost on the opening day to newly promoted Blackpool, we struggled past Accrington in the cup and threw away a last minute equaliser at Palace, so very much a mixed bag of results and performances.

Yes 4 - 1 at home to Watford is a great result but I seem to remember a 4 - 2 demolition of Sheff Utd and the 3 - 2 cup win over Spurs under Levein heralding hopes of a return to better times but it wasn't to be. This result has to now be followed up with decent performances and results over the coming weeks to prove that this is no flash in the pan or another false dawn.

Lets keep our feet on the ground and not get too carried away, otherwise it heaps unwanted and unnecessary pressure and expectation onto the management team and players.

BAH!:icon_razz

Can't we have a nice weekend enjoying the result before people start saying that?? Even if most of us could well be saying it after next week!

Last edited:
I think the substitutions, whilst not massively inspired, show that a) the manager isn't prepared to just sit back when we are winning, but also that he CAN make good tactical substitutions when needed. Something he appeared to lack earlier on

He really wanted it as well. Sitting in the Kop I had a great view of his face just before the ball went over the line and you could see just how much it meant to him. He knows he gets stick off a lot of the crowd, he probably even knows that sometimes he has deserved it, but I hope this is the start of better things for him. He has worked well over the summer, lost a load of weight and hopefully will be a revelation in what we all want to be a promotion winning season.

When he got up and walked away after he had collapsed in a heap after scoring he was actually sobbing.All those months of frustration i would imagine.

Good team performance which earned a good result. Most of the players performed well but jumping on the bandwagon I tend to agree with Melts on the MDV issue, he never gave up trying & managed a good goal but alot of his play was woeful. 10/10 for effort but 2/10 for achievement. Campbell improved in the 2nd. half after a lazy first half.
Undecided about MOTM between Weso or Clemence, both were awsome in midfield. Impressed with Sheehan today. Alround very good and hope it carries on.
Finally 2/10 for the referee, got a lot of decisions wrong and because of this created a lot of bad feeling on the pitch. Bookings were excessive and in a couple of instances incorrect. He booked Campbell for persistant fouling which was amazing as he hadn't been involved in the game upto then surely a case of mistaken identity.

myself and drew was on the itv championship for the goals after humes opener ,i was the one hopping towards MDV after he scored :038::038::038::038:

Are you the guy that usually turns up with loads of kids, sits at the front of block D2(ish) but yesterday came in on crutches and was allowed to sit on the stewards seat in front of the hoardings?

im in E1 second row with 3 kids and i was on a crutche and sat on the first aiders seat to the left of the kop gaol ;)

Thought so. You come past me every home game when you come down the aisle to the front with your kids.

Hope the crutch thing isn't for too long :)

When he got up and walked away after he had collapsed in a heap after scoring he was actually sobbing.All those months of frustration i would imagine.

Nah apparently he was sobbing because he saw some fecking lunatic heading towards him on one leg wielding his crutch

Great TEAM performance and win. They were all good-excellent with MOTM perhaps between Weslowski and Clemence. As for MDV, he undoubtedly did well. Yes he is clumsy but he held the ball up successfully in the main, and it was he that created the time and the opportunity for many of the players to have a strike at goal. The crucial thing is to see whether he can keep this standard up all season. If he does, he deserves to keep his place. And I thought I'd never say that.
Finally, I think there is more to this victory than just players and tactics though clearly those things are significant. It's also about work ethic, its about character & about your off the field behaviour and about your attitude. Its about earning your money. These things and these values MA has alluded to before the season kicked off as being important things he looks to in a player. It's true it will take 10-12 games to really see if this is working, but it wil be a crying shame if MM wields the axe before we can see it.

Yeah he did, but that's cos he worked his socks off, not like some players last season who broke into a sweat by walking out onto the pitch at the start of the game.....

And according to SSN yesterday the peno was scored in the 7 minute added on....

And according to SSN yesterday the peno was scored in the 7 minute added on....

Maybe the crap ref had a four one scoreline on his prematch bet and wasn't going to end it until that score came up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Blackburn 00
2Bristol City00
3Burnley00
4Cardiff City00
5Coventry City00
6Derby00
7Hull City00
8Leeds Utd00