Wellens to Brum

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is Andy King

invisible-man.jpg
What an incomprehensibly ludicrous suggestion. Maybe you should go to a few games :102:

5 mill and Kevin Phillips

Oh no. Not KP again. Don't take it personally but how come you are just about the only person in the football world who wants him?

Would be a real backward step in my opinion. 2 or 3 years ago maybe, but now? Never!

Selling Wellens would make sense. We have plenty of backup in Oakley and Moreno. I've also heard on the grapevine that Sven is thinking of a comeback.

Selling Wellens would make sense. We have plenty of backup in Oakley and Moreno. I've also heard on the grapevine that Sven is thinking of a comeback.
Matt Oakley, door mat, The Doors, Jim Morrison, Mark Morrison, Return of the Mack, Return of the Jedi, Han Solo, hand solo, Enderby Fox, Enderby Town, Leicester United, Manchester United, Roy Carroll, Wigan Athletic, Springfield Park, Dusty Springfield, Dusty Bin.

Matt Oakley, door mat, The Doors, Jim Morrison, Mark Morrison, Return of the Mack, Return of the Jedi, Han Solo, hand solo, Enderby Fox, Enderby Town, Leicester United, Manchester United, Roy Carroll, Wigan Athletic, Springfield Park, Dusty Springfield, Dusty Bin.

3.............2...........1......... And breath!

See what I did there with the 321 dusty bin connection???

What an incomprehensibly ludicrous suggestion. Maybe you should go to a few games :102:

Indeed. Much like Fryatt, I get the impression that when a Leicester player does a lot of work off the ball it does not get appreciated by a certain section of supporters.

tbf I think a lot of our 'supporters' don't seem to appreciate anything about our players, the team in general, the game, the result or in fact the club as a whole.

I get that impression that some fans think there are only 6 different types of footballers:

1. A goalkeeper
2. A stopper/hard-man defender
3. A playmaker
4. A pacey winger
5. A short pacey striker
6. A target man

Get a few of them in each play them in 4-4-2 (with no further instructions or tactics needed) and BOOM! Promotion is ours! It's literally that simple.

Last edited:
I get that impression that some fans think there are only 6 different types of footballers:

1. A goalkeeper
2. A stopper/hard-man defender
3. A playmaker
4. A pacey winger
5. A short pacey striker
6. A target man

Get a few of them in each play them in 4-4-2 (with no further instructions or tactics needed) and BOOM! Promotion is ours! It's literally that simple.

Players lose you games, not tactics. There's so much crap talked about tactics by people who barely know how to win at dominoes. Clough.

Football is a simple game made complicated by people who should know better.
Shankly

Players lose you games, not tactics. There's so much crap talked about tactics by people who barely know how to win at dominoes. Clough.

Football is a simple game made complicated by people who should know better.
Shankly

Yes, because Greece won Euro 2004 because they had the best players. Inter beat Barcelona last season because they had better players than them. Leicester equalled ManCity in the cup because they had players equal of them. Of course the abiliity of the players matters, but it's the exact ludicrous idea that tactics don't matter rooted in English philosophy that causes the English national team to fail every year. It was ignoring the way the German side played last year that got England thrashed, Phillip Lahm got it about spot on with his quotes after that match. You can have the 11 best players in the world, if all 11 are playing at left-back you're going to lose heftily. Also: see the Real Madrid galacticos side of the early 00s. for a team of exceptional players far above any other team on the planet on paper who never really did anything.

But of course 2 managers who managed 40 years a go and constantly came up with "witty" quotes about how working-class and down with the common man they were can't be wrong. (Btw that Shankly and Paisley were famous for noting down meticulous details about every team around and trying to get the better of them through these weaknesses and details).

Last edited:
Yes, because Greece won Euro 2004 because they had the best players. Inter beat Barcelona last season because they had better players than them. Leicester equalled ManCity in the cup because they had players equal of them. Of course the abiliity of the players matters, but it's the exact ludicrous idea that tactics don't matter rooted in English philosophy that causes the English national team to fail every year. It was ignoring the way the German side played last year that got England thrashed, Phillip Lahm got it about spot on with his quotes after that match. You can have the 11 best players in the world, if all 11 are playing at left-back you're going to lose heftily. Also: see the Real Madrid galacticos side of the early 00s. for a team of exceptional players far above any other team on the planet on paper who never really did anything.

But of course 2 managers who managed 40 years a go and constantly came up with "witty" quotes about how working-class and down with the common man they were can't be wrong. (Btw that Shankly and Paisley were famous for noting down meticulous details about every team around and trying to get the better of them through these weaknesses and details).

I don't think that the English mentality is 'tactics don't matter', I think it is more the case that our footballing philosophy is different. England try to play a continental approach (as you'd expect with a foreigh manager) but I think this is our biggest downfall. For me our best international performances have been when we have played at a higher tempo with a more direct approach.

I don't think that the English mentality is 'tactics don't matter', I think it is more the case that our footballing philosophy is different. England try to play a continental approach (as you'd expect with a foreigh manager) but I think this is our biggest downfall. For me our best international performances have been when we have played at a higher tempo with a more direct approach.

That's because that's how our only successful international performance was played. It was revolutionary back in 1966, no one had seen a style and a system like that before and no one one knew how to play it. But the English game hasn't evolved from then, it's stuck in Alf Ramsey's style. Still living off it.

It has nothing to do with foreign/domestic managers. Bobby Robson lucked his way through to a semi-final thanks to two-dives against a mediocre Cameroon side and a semi-wondergoal against a mediocre Belgium side, but other than that no English manager has done any better than Sven or Capello. Besides, Fabio Capello playing a patient, non-direct approach, are you joking?! Have you ever watched any of his sides play?!

It's the type of players we producing that is at the crux of the problem. We put strength and pace above technical ability and intelligence. We're obsessed with producing certain type of players (i.e. the short pacey players, the playmakers and the big strong players who are good in the air). No matter how quick or strong the type of players we produce are, we come up against modern, technical teams like Germany and Spain and they pass us off the park. We can barely get the ball off them. They teach us footballing lessons and we don't learn from them. We continue breeding players based on one or two moulds and certain attributes. A team of technically gifted and intelligent players will beat us any day of the week. Everyone knows it, it's been commented on so many times before, but nothing ever gets done about it.

But yes, there is still a distrust of tactics in English football and a feeling that there's a certain way we should play (4-4-****ing-2 - Mike Bassett) and I think that Clough quote is partly down to it (Clough and his deification really has had a horrible influence on English football overall). Yeah, that was 40 years a go mate, why do you think that applies to the modern game? The sophisticated tactical computer programmes and tactical developments with the game since, mean that tactics are needing to be more thorough and detailed than ever.

Last edited:
Indeed. Much like Fryatt, I get the impression that when a Leicester player does a lot of work off the ball it does not get appreciated by a certain section of supporters.

I thought most people thought that Abe is doing really well, and a lot his work is off the ball tracking the opposition forwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669