West Brom

Status
Not open for further replies.
What was the fans response at the end? Any boos?

It sounded on the RL commentary that our fans only got going at the end when it was too late.

Talking of fans responses the Oldham fans don't seem to be doing much on the live game that you can watch on the link below. All you can hear is the Leeds fans and those annoying songs they always sing. I've turned the sound down now which I would have to anyway as the Mrs is watching that Strictly rubbish

watch the game here

If Oakley is fit, I would play him and Wellens in the middle with N'Guessan and Adams on the wings. If he isn't, why not try Nicky Adams in central midfield?

He has been awful this season in any position he has played. He offers very little in my eyes and it's time he was left on the bench.

West Brom were just better, more clinical with passing, shooting and more willing to take players on. Pearson got the midfield wrong to begin with though and he changed it around and things went better for us after that and it was good to see that he saw a problem and was able to rectify it.

They were the best team we've played this year by quite a distance IMO, I expect them and Newcastle to clinch the automatic places so we would be left to see if we can pinch one of the play off spots.

He has been awful this season in any position he has played. He offers very little in my eyes and it's time he was left on the bench.

Couldn't agree more. The guy is past it.

Incidentally I thought for the first 10 mins of the 2nd half we looked quite threatening, then as soon as Howard came on we switched to hoof ball again, and WBA came back into it.

I cant help but feel disappointed though , I did think they were the better team but we werent far off , if only we'd have had a bit of luck like we had against Reading . Never mind you cant win em all . When waggy moved to the right thought he had the beating of mattock .
I think that the soft first goal and gallys miss in the second half summed up today it was never gonna happen .
Must have meant a lot more to them judgeing by Carsons reaction at the end .

Oakley went AWOL from the right hand side from minute one. Good job Twattock was hit by stage fright as we were wide open there throughout. Neilson isn't very good but asking him to do the work of two players is asking for trouble.

Oakley then gave away the free kick which led to the goal with a really dumb challenge. The wall were poor and Weale let himself down for me allowing the ball to trundle into his corner.

Then we lost the plot completely. The midfield disappeared and they had all the time in the world to pick us off for the second. Again it seemed to me that Weale could have done better.

They could have had six really. Our defence looked worringly vulnerable. I'd also point out that their front two of Moore and Cox were diabolical so they really didn't have to play very well to beat us comfortably today.

You have to put today in context as we've been defensively sound all season. Depends how you look at things really. To measure us today as a newly promoted team looking to consolidate, no real concern. If you're looking for signs of a top six team, we were sadly lacking.

Weale 6

Neilson 6
Hobbs 7
Brown 5
Berner 6

Oakley 5
King 6
Wellens 6
N'Guessen 6

Fryatt 6
Waghorn 5

SUBS
McGivern 4
Gallagher 3
Howard 5

We weren't great so no complaints here about losing, they had all the luck of a side on it's wau to promotion. (I wondwer if they'll actually stay in the Prem for more than 12 months though.....)

I don't think it's any great coincidence that Wellens was off the place and we played poorly, too much hoof ball into strikers that want it to their feet. For all their fortune and spawn WBA are a cut above most teams in this league so we can't get too bogged down in who was shit because they're largely a better team.

Oakley has a groin strain so shouldn't be out for too long but and King has a suspected broken arm(ouch) so I guess we might see some more of Nicky Adams over the next couple of months.

Will Gradel be back now then after the injuries?

Suspension and a groin strain and a potential broken arm judging from NP' comments.

Playing West Brom today was always going to show us how much was required to be a real force in this league.

And to be fair we are no were near good enough..we have players who are real triers..but lack that bit of class.

If we are serious about getting promoted we need in my opinion 5 quality players.

A right back,A centre half,2 Midfielders..and a striker.

I think Oakley's suspended now, with the international break as well that should give him time to get fit.

Blessing in disguise, maybe? Adams might get on the bench now.

Didn't sound like Pearson was too keen on Adams in the post-match when Stringer asked about him (though it's possible it's just the question he objected to).

Oakley is also apparently out for the next game anyway due to 5 yellows? Or so said RL.

What was the fans response at the end? Any boos?

It sounded on the RL commentary that our fans only got going at the end when it was too late.

Bit of booing, but not too much (a lot had left by then). Fans were pretty lively at the start but stuffing was knocked out by the two goals and nothing really got going again apart from a couple of songs towards the end. They didn't sing until they were winning.

Neilson might not be the best player but I appreciated him getting the first tackle in on Mattock and I thought he did alright overall, especially seeing as he was covering one whole side by himself 1st half.

Game was completely dull and the ref was a tit.

Last edited:
Bit of booing, but not too much (a lot had left by then).

There was a fair bit of applause for the second half effort. This changed to booing because of the antics of Carson and one of their defenders who (not literally!) fisted at the Kop.

We were pretty poor - they were only mildly better

Didn't help that we gifted them two giveaway goals

Disappointing stuff, but does show how shite this league really is

We were outclassed. They put balls into spaces for their players to run onto. We put balls at players who already had a defender stood next to them!

There is not enough running off the ball to create space. I know Oakley went off injured but what is the point of having him, Wellens and King in the middle? They had much better close ball control. What we needed was width, and someone with a better kick than Neilson to play the crossfield ball to N'Guessan who was often in an acre of space.

Need to see the replays before I could say whether Weale should have got to either goal. He may have been unsighted for the first, and the second just looked like a great goal, like Gallagher's a few weeks ago.

Need to see the replays before I could say whether Weale should have got to either goal. He may have been unsighted for the first, and the second just looked like a great goal, like Gallagher's a few weeks ago.

We were behind the goal for them and Weales was on his heeles when the first went in, complete fecking fluke but there we go. The second dipped and wobbled in the air like crazy and again, the fact that he didn't move his feet was the reason he couldn't get to it.

Frustrating, he did make a cracking save off Moore at 0-0 though.

Last edited:
westbrom have got goal scorers all over the park, what would you do if fryup leaves or gets crocked

Go and buy a player = or better than him, Why, What would you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669