What could happen now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steven

This from the Foxes Trust outlines the task ahead. :)

Lies, Damn Lies & Statistics Written by Matt Davis Tuesday, 03 February 2009 The facts for the last 20 years in our current division:

Being the sad statistics man that I am, I’ve been reading up on the final points total in our current division (called division 3,2 then 1 depending on the year!). All I wanted to see was what points total we need to 1) make the play offs, 2) be promoted and 3) to go up as champions.

The results are as follows (and are after the Walsall match i.e. 29 games played and 67 points):

To make the play off’s i.e. finish sixth:

The (mean) average points total over the last 20 years in order to make sixth place is 75 points. We are currently on 67 points with 17 games to play. This would therefore require a further 8 points out of a remaining 51 points to play for.

Word of caution: The best points total over this 20 year period that was required to make sixth place was 82 in the 1999/00 season for Stoke City.

Word of optimism: The worst points total over this 20 year period that was required to make sixth place was 69 in the 1989/90 season for Bolton......

To make automatic promotion i.e. to finish second:

The (mean) average points total over the last 20 years in order to make second place is 85 points. We are currently on 67 points with 17 games to play. This would therefore require a further 18 points out of a remaining 51 points to play for.

Word of caution: The best points total over this 20 year period that was required to make second place was 91 in the 1989/90 for Bristol City & 2000/01 for Rotherham.

Word of optimism: The worst points total over this 20 year period that was required to make second place was 81 in the 1991/92 season for Birmingham.

To go up as champions:

The (mean) average points total over the last 20 years in order to be crowned champions is 91 points. We are currently on 67 points with 17 games to play. This would therefore require a further 24 points out of a remaining 51 points to play for.

Word of caution: The best points total over this 20 year period that was achieved to be crowned champions was 101 in the 1998/99 season for Fulham.

Word of optimism: The worst points total over this 20 year period that was achieved to be crowned as champions was 82 in the 1991/92 season for Brentford & in the 2005/06 for Southend

Please don’t tell Nigel Pearson I’ve been dreaming already, but I hope you found these snippets from Matt (Motson) Davis a worthwhile read!!!

Last Updated ( Tuesday, 03 February 2009 )

Only a bunch of idiots could fail now.

Too much energy being wasted speculated on this "total points" bollocks. We only need one more point than the third placed team, currently we have 14 more points and counting. We are in a very good position to get back to the league that isn't good enough to be be the best league in England. Hardly worth shitting ourselves over.

Who gives a flying f**k about previous years, this year is what's important and we've almost cracked it.

Last edited:

Too much energy being wasted speculated on this "total points" bollocks. We only need one more point than the third placed team, currently we have 14 more points and counting. We are in a very good position to get back to the league that isn't good enough to be be the best league in England. Hardly worth shitting ourselves over.

Who gives a flying f**k about previous years, this year is what's important and we've almost cracked it.

Round of applause for that man :038: does anybody really give a toss what the stats are for the seasons before we were involved in this division? Not me.

How to win the title: accumulate more points than all the other teams. Simple.

I just want this season, and this sh*t league behind us. Despite winning all the while I still find the fixture list depressing.

The sooner we cna be confirmed as going up the better.

I just want this season, and this sh*t league behind us. Despite winning all the while I still find the fixture list depressing.

The sooner we cna be confirmed as going up the better.

I feel a bit like that.Can't really 'celebrate' winning in a League like this,such a humiliation being in it in the first place.Just want to get promoted and pray we are never in this League again.Can't join in with the hysteria..sorry:102:

Big up.

I feel a bit like that.Can't really 'celebrate' winning in a League like this,such a humiliation being in it in the first place.Just want to get promoted and pray we are never in this League again.Can't join in with the hysteria..sorry:102:

I just hope you and all the other miserable feckers who feel that way stay away when the silver cup is presented to us at one of our last home games.

We are where we are and we can only play against those others who are also in this division.

No, we shouldn't be here but we are. It wasn't Pearsons fault and he deserves to listen to us all singing, dancing and generally being happy clappy when our promotion is assured.

Miserable bastard :icon_bigg

I just hope you and all the other miserable feckers who feel that way stay away when the silver cup is presented to us at one of our last home games.

We are where we are and we can only play against those others who are also in this division.

No, we shouldn't be here but we are. It wasn't Pearsons fault and he deserves to listen to us all singing, dancing and generally being happy clappy when our promotion is assured.

How dare you! :icon_lol:

Not a chance of me being there,don't go to any matches so you can party and listen to 'We are the Champions' until your heart is content.
Are you Rob Kelly by any chance ?

I just love going to games and watching us win! Makes such a change from 4 seasons of shite

:038:

I didn't expect my opinion to be popular.I'll be pleased of course,maybe its me being an exile.
I'll shut up now.Party on folks

Top work on the stats!

It is always nice to have a general idea of a points target.

Clubs in the Premiership always aim to get to 40pts asap, they dont aim to get a point more than the team in 18th.

Kind of agree..

I'm happy we're winning each week, and it's a good feeling.. but we are in League 1, and I still can't believe we've dropped this low into such a shit league.

That's not to cheapen the work done by Pearson and the boys this season, "we are where we are" and all that and can "only beat what's in front of us"... but still doesn't change the fact that I can't get that excited about beating the likes of Yeovil.

The sooner we're out of this league the better... and for that reason I like looking at the points totals, to know we're almost there!

I'll carry on celebrating each week when we win, and will be happy once promotion is secured/we've won the league... but more a happiness of "thank **** we're out of that" rather than "what a great achievement"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670