What do the stats say?

Is there any stats that correlate the would be results based on xG against the actual result? Seeing the percentage of xG success would be good.

xG is surely a much more meaningful stat than Shots and Shots on Target? Stats that football fans have used for decades to assess a teams performance.

I would say it's also more meaningful than possession for that purpose also. As we know well, passing across the defence repeatedly can make the possession stat look good but does not equate to a good performance.

xG is not perfect, but at least it does factor in where it happens, where the ball came from and other data which makes it far more meaningful than any other stat that most football fans seem to think is important.

Apparently it doesn’t even matter if the ****’s offside and the goal wouldn’t have counted.

load of shite
The same as shots on target (if the match isn't stopped for the offside). So I presume you have the same view that all similar stats are useless?

The same as shots on target (if the match isn't stopped for the offside). So I presume you have the same view that all similar stats are useless?
That also sounds like a load of shite, yes. If you’re counting things that happen after a ref blows or should blow their whistle, it’s totally and utterly meaningless. The goal will never count so why should the stat? Christ, if shooting directly at the keeper’s legs after you’ve already been flagged offside count towards your shots on target stat then DJ Campbell’s numbers must have been amazing.

Do we really need all of these useless ****ing stats when what we see before our very eyes is the best indicator of what actually happened?

Bar the blue tinted spectacle brigade, most on here can more accurately recount 'data' from a match and ascertain whether overall the result was justified.

For instance in the game v Liverpool at home, we were outplayed, defended stoutly and as I recall Liverpool had multiple shots on goal but Kasper had a good game. We created one good opportunity and scored from it. The naysayers would suggest that therefore without Kasper the result would have been different and perhaps he played above his Xg, unfortunately that theory again, doesn't hold water as players don't play consistently at 7.0, they fluctuate based on many factors, such as:

• Player mood
  • Diet
  • Time of day
  • Opposition
  • Atmosphere
  • Home or Away
  • Shagged missus or not
  • Camaraderie
  • Pitch condition
  • Weather
  • League position
  • Fatigue
  • Frequency of games around said fixture
Did we deserve to win, debatable but probably not. Xg would suggest that we should have been battered.

Well according to BN we should have lost about every single game this season based on it.

Silly boy.

xG suggests that we have so far picked up 6 points more than we've earned based on chances created and chances conceded.

You can choose to look at that as a positive in terms of the quality of our finishing and goalkeeping. Or you can look at it as fortunate. Or a bit of both.

Or you could just wibble on about how it's a load of shit all the time.

Silly boy.

xG suggests that we have so far picked up 6 points more than we've earned based on chances created and chances conceded.

You can choose to look at that as a positive in terms of the quality of our finishing and goalkeeping. Or you can look at it as fortunate. Or a bit of both.

Or you could just wibble on about how it's a load of shit all the time.
I choose wibble

Is there any stats that correlate the would be results based on xG against the actual result? Seeing the percentage of xG success would be good.

It holds up. That’s, like, the entire point.
OK. Show me the percentage stats over every premier league match so far this season. What is it? High 80s?

Silly boy
No need for that.

xG suggests that we have so far picked up 6 points more than we've earned
But presumably this is 'averaging things out'. It might be more useful to know the number of games in which we have picked up a greater number of points than "deserved" and the number of games in which we have picked up a lesser number of points than "deserved".

I think you made the point earlier that Xg was more valuable than other commonly quoted stats. For the record, I say **** all stats (other than number of goals awarded for and against) and **** off distracting me from the game by flashing them onto the big screen. And, while I'm in the mood, **** the advertising boards too, especially when that ****ing dachshund runs round the pitch.

Modern football really is shite but at least we don't have to watch the antics of Mike Dean for much longer. Though having said that he alone will probably manage to make VAR even worse than it already is!

• Player mood
  • Diet
  • Time of day
  • Opposition
  • Atmosphere
  • Home or Away
  • Shagged missus or not
  • Camaraderie
  • Pitch condition
  • Weather
  • League position
  • Fatigue
  • Frequency of games around said fixture
Did we deserve to win, debatable but probably not. Xg would suggest that we should have been battered.
Them, or John Terry?

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669
9Coventry City4664