What have you achieved today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That may have been the original meaning, but these days it's acceptable to call something like GDL an acronym.
No I think BM's right.
acronym noun a word made from the first letters or syllables of other words, and usually pronounced as a word in its own right, eg NATO. Compare abbreviation, contraction, initialism. acronymic adj.
ETYMOLOGY: 1940s: from Greek akron point or tip + onyma name.

Did you not notice the word 'usually' in there?
The use of that word means it's not always the case that it's pronounced as a word in its own right.

At the same time, it ensures you don't have a licence to just throw the word 'acronym' around wherever initialisms appear. :icon_bigg

Acronyms are pronounced as words. 'Scuba' is an acronym, for example, whereas GDL is an initialism but not an acronym.

But what sort of tosser would point that out?

:icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

I was actually going to say initialism, but I thought it would've made me seem like an even bigger cock than usual. Brilliant.

Can gay go back to meaning gay and not mean gay as it currently does? :102:

Hmm. Not sure how much it has changed. When I was on holiday, I read some war story I found in the flat where we were staying. It was a tale of much stiff upper lip bravery in the destroying of the dockyard at Saint-Nazaire, written in the 50s. Full of plenty of gay fellows, such as one chap who sported a monocle and strode around swinging a cane.

Hmm. Not sure how much it has changed. When I was on holiday, I read some war story I found in the flat where we were staying. It was a tale of much stiff upper lip bravery in the destroying of the dockyard at Saint-Nazaire, written in the 50s. Full of plenty of gay fellows, such as one chap who sported a monocle and strode around swinging a cane.

did he shout "hurrah" alot ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Liverpool615
2Manchester C  614
3Arsenal614
4Chelsea613
5Aston Villa512
6Fulham611
7Newcastle611
8Brighton69