What Have You Been Watching on TV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's my favourite programme, I've got all seven series on DVD and watched them 5-6 times. The last couple aren't as good as the rest, but still better than most stuff on TV.

I can see why. Some of the dialogue and quick-fire tete-a-tetes are superb, and the President's retorts in particular are brilliant.

It's also fascinating to learn about the US political system as it's not something I've ever studied, although how factual it is I have no idea.

It's my favourite programme, I've got all seven series on DVD and watched them 5-6 times. The last couple aren't as good as the rest, but still better than most stuff on TV.

Are the last couple from when the writer's strike was on?
It affected a few US TV series like 24.

Ditto, it is superb.

And fryattfox, the second series finale is one of the best on TV, ever, in my opinion.

It's also fascinating to learn about the US political system as it's not something I've ever studied, although how factual it is I have no idea.
I've read that it's a quite accurate description of working in the White House as well as the subjects they're discussing. Obviously, it's a bit biased in favour of the Democrats, but that probably suits us Europeans better.

Still, what I like the most about it is that you get to hear both sides. Real life politics seems to me - although I've never been involved, and it's probably different on a grass-root level - like it's a lot about trying to win elections and carving out a career for yourself. So, yes, great entertainment and educational at the same.

Would echo the West Wing comments. My all time favourite as well although I stopped watching after Aaron Sorkin stopped writing them as it didn't quite feel the same.

I think the season finales are some of the best programmes ever and, imo, each gets better up to the fourth series when Sorkin left.

The final part of "Putin, Russia and the West". Very informative and quite an eye-opener for me. I hadn't appreciated the merits of Medvedev, in skilfully maintaining relations with the West and fighting corruption - as an antidote to the worst excesses of Putin. Unfortunately it will all come to nothing when they "change jobs" and Putin becomes president again.

The final part of "Putin, Russia and the West". Very informative and quite an eye-opener for me. I hadn't appreciated the merits of Medvedev, in skilfully maintaining relations with the West and fighting corruption - as an antidote to the worst excesses of Putin. Unfortunately it will all come to nothing when they "change jobs" and Putin becomes president again.

Hardly fair and balanced, or particularly truthful, though was it Hector? I watched some of the first part, but had to turn it off. I'm no fan of Putin, by any stretch of the imagination, but this was nothing more than Western propaganda. Goebbels himself would be proud of such a hit piece.

Summarised as:

'There are none. And the last one to come out ultimately killed himself.'

It's a sad world that we live in.

Too true

Just going to make myself a big fat bacon buttie to cheer meself up......

I'm educating the boy with Zombieland - he needs to learn about guns, sex and surviving a zombie holocaust from somewhere.

Rule 17: Don't Be A Hero.

Just watching "Coppers" on Channel 4.
Its featuring Leicester City and our quiet fans right now.

The rest of the programme is about Nottinghamshire Police and what they have to deal with.

The clash on the bridge has just featured.

Last edited:
Summarised as:

'There are none. And the last one to come out ultimately killed himself.'

It's a sad world that we live in.

I'm pretty sure it was more along the lines of 'statistically there must be some, none of them are ever going to come out though, so why the **** have we wasted our time on this programme?'

For me, it was more focussed on looking back at Justin Fashanu's suicide and the issues surrounding it by his neice, it almost felt a little self-serving. It didn't particularly have much to do with looking at why footballers in this day and age feel they can't come out and be who they really are. It'll take a brave footballer for sure, but I don't think the reaction will be as massive as everyone suspects it will be.

You can count on Luis Suarez calling the first gay footballer a fudge-packing batty boy and then claiming it's a term of endearment in Uruguay though.

I'm pretty sure it was more along the lines of 'statistically there must be some, none of them are ever going to come out though, so why the **** have we wasted our time on this programme?'

For me it was much more a case that no one would talk, or talk on camera, about it.

The FA refused to give any serious comment, club chairmen refused to be interviewed, players refused to engage in the program. The Millwall players who did just contributed typical post-match platitudes.

When the only serious comment on the subject from the game comes from Joey Barton you know you have a game in denial.

After a home game against Brighton I wrote to the club, the police, the council, the FA, Leicestershire MPs and the MEP. I'd complained to stewards and the police in L1 about the nature of the chanting and not one single person took action or responsibility - the club didn't even bother to reply. The police stated that they can only respond to events that they are aware of - to which I asked how else I should draw something to their attention beyond complaining to PCs at the match standing next to those chanting homophobic songs.

There is no will within the game to change anything and stop this happening. Miss Fashanu exposed that even her dad contributed to the problem which still exists and made me wonder if he'd seen the finished work before broadcast and I felt her personal connection actually gave the program some validity that it would otherwise have lacked due to a lack of cooperation from football at large.

For me it was much more a case that no one would talk, or talk on camera, about it.

The FA refused to give any serious comment, club chairmen refused to be interviewed, players refused to engage in the program. The Millwall players who did just contributed typical post-match platitudes.

When the only serious comment on the subject from the game comes from Joey Barton you know you have a game in denial.

After a home game against Brighton I wrote to the club, the police, the council, the FA, Leicestershire MPs and the MEP. I'd complained to stewards and the police in L1 about the nature of the chanting and not one single person took action or responsibility - the club didn't even bother to reply. The police stated that they can only respond to events that they are aware of - to which I asked how else I should draw something to their attention beyond complaining to PCs at the match standing next to those chanting homophobic songs.

There is no will within the game to change anything and stop this happening. Miss Fashanu exposed that even her dad contributed to the problem which still exists and made me wonder if he'd seen the finished work before broadcast and I felt her personal connection actually gave the program some validity that it would otherwise have lacked due to a lack of cooperation from football at large.

Excellent post, but when we, as a society, accept people describing bad things as 'so gay' there is no chance of change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669