What's going on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Real Sharapova said:
But who says he wants to invest? And he was hardly poor at the time of us going into admin. He could have at least put in the profits he made when he sold his shares at floatation. It seems to me he is happy at carping from the sidelines ( if Bruin is to be believed ) without putting his money where his not inconsiderably large mouth is.

Maybe at the time, he didnt have the level of investment available to take overall control, it could have been a personality clash with the current consortium. We are outsiders and it is highly likely that we will never know the circumstances behind Martin Georges' level of investment at the time of admin.

However what we do know now, is that he has substantially increased his wealth and if rumours are to be believed that he is making noises about making further investment or a takeover bid. As for the comment regarding him 'carping from the sidelines' , I think without being in knowledge of the full facts we cannot really comment as to his involvement in last weeks debacle. But if Bruins information is correct, it would appear that he is growing increasingly fustrated by the current regime.

Real Sharapova said:
But who says he wants to invest? And he was hardly poor at the time of us going into admin. He could have at least put in the profits he made when he sold his shares at floatation. It seems to me he is happy at carping from the sidelines ( if Bruin is to be believed ) without putting his money where his not inconsiderably large mouth is.

Who's to know how much he did put in. Prior to the sale of Weetabix, he certainly had'nt ever been a man with enough money to throw say £5million or even £2 million into a football club and not worry if he lost it all.

Ironically, when he did have enough money to do just that, he'd been removed from the board perhaps rightly at the time for his association with the 'old LCFC'.

However, with things as they currently are, with an MD who apparently has no respect or percieved ability from those who work with him and a Pierpoint era split looming large, times have changed.

Here we have a man who genuinely loves LCFC, who is capable of personally changing finances for the better as well as having a track record as a businessman and in his time as Chairman of running a financially sound club and having a sound knowledge of football.

WHy should the mistakes of his successors (Smeaton & Elsam) stop him being a viable alternative?!

Quite frankly, if he did want to put in capital and/or take the club over thereby preventing the sale of players in the summer, I couldn't care less if the bloke was a board member under Elsam.

Last edited:
Real Sharapova said:

It may be that he of the type that is not interested in owning 5% of a business whilst unsure of those who own the other 95%.

bocadillo said:
It may be that he of the type that is not interested in owning 5% of a business whilst unsure of those who own the other 95%.
Or it may be he's a tight bugger!;)

We promise we will ask MG outright when we next see him whether he does have any ambitions to take ownership.

If that is the case we would seek to have a formal meeting to get a full understanding of his plans and ensure that fan representation on the board are part of them.

He wasn't at the Hull game, so for now this speculation will have to rumble on.

Last edited:
bocadillo said:

I would say the same for David Wilson too.. he doesn't want to put anything more in if he has no say in the club's direction.

Originally Posted by Steven
True. I think we all understand now where the FT loyalties lie.

Real Sharapova said:
To be fair, I think their loyalties correspond with most of the fans - we cannot go bust again, and we cannot spend money we haven't got.

Thanks RS for correcting Steven, quite right, the number 1 priority is to avoid getting into financial difficulty & that can mean some hard decisions have to be made from time to time.

We as fans obviously want Premiership football, but not at any cost.

Our earlier analysis is based on viewing the financial status of the club on a monthly basis & the Trust's interpretation of it. We have not been asked by the club to prepare fans for anything which is what one or two seem to imply here.

Last summer our views were asked about fans likely reaction to potential sales & our view at that time was other than Stearman, there wouldn't be much reaction. More players come into that catagory now.

However if we do need revenue, we can only sell players somebody wants to buy. Obviously another way is to cut costs or gain additional sponsorship deals wherever possible ("the extra minutes are sponsored by...").

Interesting discussion.

What puzzles me is why if MG is interested in buying the club does he not come out and say that is what he wants to do, instead of encouraging others to do his promotion.

Secondly he is a wealthy man who could, if he had the desire, have bought the club out of admin personally. It seems to me that we look a far better proposition now than when we were in admin and this is not a purely philanthropic approach.

My overall concern however is for the future success of LCFC, therefore if someone has the money and skills to achieve greater success then bring it on. I am however sceptical in these situations, just remember the idiot GK.

Agreed MG time at chairman was a successful era for our club he cannot be blamed for elsom's mistakes and I believe the reason why he didnt invest more at the admin stage was because he couldnt be chairman.

If he offered to buy out the club and of course invest it would be criminal to turn him down given his past experience and resources he provides.

MG did alot for this club at the time he was chairman, he gave us Little, McGhee and MON, he was also behind the building of the Carling stand which at the time was massive for this club. He has a great knowledge of football and it seems we are in the same sort of position we were when he last took over. If he is willing to put his money were his mouth is why not, he was around when thing went wrong, but he wasn't at the helm.

One thing is for certain though, he needs to do something with those eyebrows :icon_eek:

EMC Fox said:
sweeping generalisations...

(you know all brooms are made from horse hair?)

:icon_lol: :icon_lol:

You bearded clam you :081:

I think MG has one simple question to answer for me.

He has obviously been around the scene at LCFC for many years, without making a significant financial contribution of the sort that is needed to catapult us to premiership sucess. Therefore what is different now ?

If he is simply a different face working broadly under the same financial conditions to the current board then thanks but no thanks, if he has got the money to buy the club and then invest £5m on the squad then I for one will back him, and I think so would the current board.

Foxes_Trust said:
In terms of financial security the club are ok, have an agreed overdraft facility with their bank which hasn't been breached.

However Tim Davies revealed at our AGM that the £1 million coming our way as Wigan will stay up is already swallowed up covering the shortfall in match ticket sales this season.

Given the parachute payment will now be ended, this cuts a further £2 million off the revenue for next season. The original plan for the Tigers ground share would have easily offset this in a mixture of shared costs saved & revised payment terms for the stadium finance arrangement.

With the majority of the remaining players contracts having 2 years+ to run, it does indicate very limited transfer activity in the summer & the increased liklihood of selling a player(s) which would attract a good fee.

More or less as I expected.

When we are talking about selling players - we need to be clear about the implications. Its no use supporters kidding themselves that the likes of Sylla, Hammill and Hammond (all certain frees IMO) or even players like Williams, Gerbrand, Hughes, Maybury etc are going to bring in serious money. The really marketable players are: Stearman, Fryatt and Hume. You could have added Weso but he would be unsellable for injury reasons.

Now, I am not blaming anyone because we all know that solvency is simply the only bottom line.

But I think that it just indicates that its time to energetically pursue a change in the ownership structure and whilst the FT understandably have a thing about board representation - I guess that's such a big deal as far as a lot of supporters are concerned.

Redditch Fox said:
Foxes_Trust said:
In terms of financial security the club are ok, have an agreed overdraft facility with their bank which hasn't been breached.

However Tim Davies revealed at our AGM that the £1 million coming our way as Wigan will stay up is already swallowed up covering the shortfall in match ticket sales this season.

Given the parachute payment will now be ended, this cuts a further £2 million off the revenue for next season. The original plan for the Tigers ground share would have easily offset this in a mixture of shared costs saved & revised payment terms for the stadium finance arrangement.

With the majority of the remaining players contracts having 2 years+ to run, it does indicate very limited transfer activity in the summer & the increased liklihood of selling a player(s) which would attract a good fee.

More or less as I expected.

When we are talking about selling players - we need to be clear about the implications. Its no use supporters kidding themselves that the likes of Sylla, Hammill and Hammond (all certain frees IMO) or even players like Williams, Gerbrand, Hughes, Maybury etc are going to bring in serious money. The really marketable players are: Stearman, Fryatt and Hume. You could have added Weso but he would be unsellable for injury reasons.

Now, I am not blaming anyone because we all know that solvency is simply the only bottom line.

But I think that it just indicates that its time to energetically pursue a change in the ownership structure and whilst the FT understandably have a thing about board representation - I guess that's such a big deal as far as a lot of supporters are concerned.

sorry I should have indicated the end of the quote from the FT after the line ending "which would attract a good fee"....and also added Paddy to my list of players who would fetch a significant fee.

1966 said:
I think MG has one simple question to answer for me.

He has obviously been around the scene at LCFC for many years, without making a significant financial contribution of the sort that is needed to catapult us to premiership sucess. Therefore what is different now ?

Read the earlier posts: he wasn't in a position to do so earlier - if you haven't got the liquid money you can't spend it.

For Pete's sake, we are in the position where somebody has gotten into the position of having the financial resources to help the club out, who has experience of running the club, and who supports the club, and the first thing you come out with is a moan for not selling everything sooner because you personally have more love for Leicester than Weetabix...

People don't become successes by making decisions of the heart, but by making good business decisions: what gives us the right to expect somebody to sell at the wrong time just to help out something that is higher on our own list of priorities?

Be grateful that there is potentially an opportunity for someone to help our club now, rather than feeling you somehow have a right to dictate how somebody manages their assets :018: :icon_roll

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Bournemouth00
2Arsenal00
3Aston Villa00
4Brentford00
5Brighton00
6Chelsea00
7Palace00