Williams

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Williams should play in front of the back 4,try it once this season see how it goes.He's the best passer of a ball we have by a mile IMO.

I can see both sides of the argument here. Williams does frustrate as he isn't the up and at 'em type of player that fans naturally gravitate to in this division.
But for us to get where we all want to be we need a bit of extra footballing nounce and ability and therefore he is a gamble well worth taking IMO. We have to understand that he will frustrate the hell out of us on occasions.

Twenty years ago lots of fans preferred Ali Mauchlen to Gary Mac for much the same reasons as why some don't rate Gareth Williams today...............

"usually" ? like that mate, thanks, yes I do genuinely believe Gareth is our best player, I think that for whatever reason our fans seem to have a downer on the man, people like, say Hume can do the most stupid things and get cheered whilst GW get`s slated, he is, as I have admitted a "luxury" type of player but when you`re playing well you can afford one of those, he has also improved on his work rate but to be honest I don`t really care about that, his vision and passing is superb and he can make space brilliantly too, has a hell of a shot on him as well.

If Williams can play to his potential he'd be an automatic choice for central midfield. Despite my criticism of him (which I stand by), he has been our best midfielder recently. But that just illustrates how poor the rest have been.

Before the season it looked like our midfield was going to be strong, but it's not worked out that way. We've not had a decent wide player (unless you count Smith for two matches...), Tiatto has spent most of the season injured or suspended (I think we could have done with someone like him on Saturday), Williams and Hughes have both failed to play to their potential, and Joey, despite his goals, has only occasionally played as well as he can.

mad biker said:
"usually" ? like that mate, thanks, yes I do genuinely believe Gareth is our best player, I think that for whatever reason our fans seem to have a downer on the man, people like, say Hume can do the most stupid things and get cheered whilst GW get`s slated, he is, as I have admitted a "luxury" type of player but when you`re playing well you can afford one of those, he has also improved on his work rate but to be honest I don`t really care about that, his vision and passing is superb and he can make space brilliantly too, has a hell of a shot on him as well.
One thing I do agree with there MB, is Hume. If he misses a 6yrd sitter he still gets the Huuuuumefrom the crowd. Williams missing the same chance would be slated. The crowd has it's favourites for whatever reason, Williams isn't one of them. But my explanation would be this:

Life is all about perceptions. If you are not perceived to be trying you will get slated. More often than not Hume and Williams will probably have achieved the same come the end of the game. However, the perception Hume gives is that he trys hard (apart from Saturaday against Preston), Williams on the other hand gives the perception that he doesn't try hard.

You are never what you think you ar you are only ever what others think you are

Melton Fox said:
One thing I do agree with there MB, is Hume. If he misses a 6yrd sitter he still gets the Huuuuumefrom the crowd. Williams missing the same chance would be slated. The crowd has it's favourites for whatever reason, Williams isn't one of them. But my explanation would be this:

Life is all about perceptions. If you are not perceived to be trying you will get slated. More often than not Hume and Williams will probably have achieved the same come the end of the game. However, the perception Hume gives is that he trys hard (apart from Saturaday against Preston), Williams on the other hand gives the perception that he doesn't try hard.

You are never what you think you ar you are only ever what others think you are

Spot on.

Stalin once had half the Moscow Spartak team arrested, charged with "playing football in a bourgeois manner". There is indeed a tendancy to idolise players who rush around a lot & get stuck in, whle regarding those who tend to drift in and out of games, making the occasional telling contribution, as lazy. Beckham, le Tissier, Williams.....

OldGit said:
Spot on.

Stalin once had half the Moscow Spartak team arrested, charged with "playing football in a bourgeois manner". There is indeed a tendancy to idolise players who rush around a lot & get stuck in, whle regarding those who tend to drift in and out of games, making the occasional telling contribution, as lazy. Beckham, le Tissier, Williams.....

Then theres the ones who don't get stuck in,never make a teling contribution and don't appear at all interested.....but thats enough about Momo sylla.

Maybe now is the time to change the formation, we could play 3 in midfield with Williams being the central creative figure, we are weak at present in the flank positions and IMO this would enable us to select our strongest team and play to our strengths.

My line up would be :

Henderson

McCarthy
Kisnorbo
Johansson

Stearman
Gudjonsson (Weso next season)
Williams
Hughes
Sheehan

Fryatt
Hume

Subs

Maybury
Gerrbrand
Hammond
O'Grady
Tiatto

PFKAKTF FOX said:
Maybe now is the time to change the formation, we could play 3 in midfield with Williams being the central creative figure, we are weak at present in the flank positions and IMO this would enable us to select our strongest team and play to our strengths.

My line up would be :

Henderson

McCarthy
Kisnorbo
Johansson

Stearman
Gudjonsson (Weso next season)
Williams
Hughes
Sheehan

Fryatt
Hume

Subs

Maybury
Gerrbrand
Hammond
O'Grady
Tiatto

Very much a MON style line up!

Fox From The Hudd said:
Very much a MON style line up!

Would definately be our strongest line up and would allow us to play our best players in their natural positions.

Last edited:
I actually thought Williams was fairly poor today, let to many passes go astray and as for the time when he went to run for the ball and then almost stopped in our own box until the cov player went for it and then he decided to run for it, i was furious at his apparant lazyness.

As someone above said he is a luxury player, but can we really afford a luxury player in this league when it is so tight from top to bottom and is a real scrap to fight our way out of the division.

highland fox said:
I think Williams should play in front of the back 4,try it once this season see how it goes.He's the best passer of a ball we have by a mile IMO.

I seen the fryatt goal now and that is a result of williams ability to see openings for attack and his passing ability, most players would just have concentrated on keeping possession.

This is my first entry........ been viewing site for a while, but like loads of people who don't participate in stuff I thought I'd change that now.......

I said to my 12 year old son at the start of the season I though Williams could be our best player this year. He's been a let down because like so many footie fans we thrive on passion and effort from our players. His talent is there to see , but it seem it's when he can be bothered his arse. We won't get near the play-off's again unless RK (hero) sorts the mid-field out . Hughes is too lightwieght and Maybury isn't fast or cultured enough, Weso could be part of the answer but he needs help.... anyway thats my first effort ... so I'm ready to be buried !!

C'mon CITY

Dunmow Fox said:
This is my first entry........ been viewing site for a while, but like loads of people who don't participate in stuff I thought I'd change that now.......

I said to my 12 year old son at the start of the season I though Williams could be our best player this year. He's been a let down because like so many footie fans we thrive on passion and effort from our players. His talent is there to see , but it seem it's when he can be bothered his arse. We won't get near the play-off's again unless RK (hero) sorts the mid-field out . Hughes is too lightwieght and Maybury isn't fast or cultured enough, Weso could be part of the answer but he needs help.... anyway thats my first effort ... so I'm ready to be buried !!

C'mon CITY

For what it is worth, this is not the worst post by any stretch of the imagination. :icon_bigg :icon_razz ;) Correspondingly Williams is by no means our worst player. :icon_wink ;)

welcome.gif

Last edited:
fcukcov said:
I actually thought Williams was fairly poor today, let to many passes go astray and as for the time when he went to run for the ball and then almost stopped in our own box until the cov player went for it and then he decided to run for it, i was furious at his apparant lazyness.

As someone above said he is a luxury player, but can we really afford a luxury player in this league when it is so tight from top to bottom and is a real scrap to fight our way out of the division.

This post sums up exactly my point, this was a typical end of season, meaningless game, both teams were piss poor, no one played well but who`s singled out Williams !! as I`ve said many times, for his sake and mine because of the crap written about him on here let`s hope Gareth goes in the summer to play where he should be playing, the Premiership.

mad biker said:
This post sums up exactly my point, this was a typical end of season, meaningless game, both teams were piss poor, no one played well but who`s singled out Williams !! as I`ve said many times, for his sake and mine because of the crap written about him on here let`s hope Gareth goes in the summer to play where he should be playing, the Premiership.

Are you just preparing us for something here MB???

No mate am just getting a bit fed up of the unjustified anti Williams crap I am seeing on a so called "fans" forum !

mad biker said:
No mate am just getting a bit fed up of the unjustified anti Williams crap I am seeing on a so called "fans" forum !

Then stop posting. It is a fans forum and in that case then there will be many different opinions. :056:

For my part in this free and frank exchange I think Gudjonsson is the worst midfielder at the moment and that that the argument that Williams is a luxury player we can ill afford is crap. This League is full of honest (and dishonest) endeavour and a player that can lift us above the quagmire, even briefly, is to be encouraged, even more so if they have City shirt on.

What we really need at the moment (for Hughes' sake as well) is a quality "hod carrier" in midfield. :icon_wink ;)

You know something Steven I think you have a very good point there mate, I think I will stop posting on here, thanks for the advice, if something pisses you off then stop doing it ! Bye all.

mad biker said:
You know something Steven I think you have a very good point there mate, I think I will stop posting on here, thanks for the advice, if something pisses you off then stop doing it ! Bye all.

:006:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570