Wolves Post match thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
And a right back, a central defender, a left midfielder, a central midfielder, a right midfielder, a left sided forward, a forward, and a right sided forward.

I agree we need more than just a left back, a few creative midfielders and a prolific striker are a must too. As I said in the post above the one you quoted. :icon_wink

Because players raise their game when they face teams of a superior nature hence Cup upsets.Non League sides beat League opposition it doesn't mean they are better than them or have beeter players.
Fact is, it's physically impossible to raise your game above your maximum ability levels.

Maybe the Chelsea, Villa and Watford games were the best our players will ever be. If so, if our Manager is able to get the best out of them every week, we'll piss this league with the team we have got.

All the point I am making is, is that our players are better than we are seeing.

Last edited:
Fact is, it's physically impossible to raise your game above your maximum ability levels.

Maybe the Chelsea, Villa and Watford games were the best our players will ever be. If so, if our Manager is able to get the best out of them every week, we'll piss this league with the team we have got.

All the point I am making is, is that our players are better than we are seeing.

I don't think there is any harmony at the club. It was hinted at by Holloway some time ago that some of the older players resent the newer ones coming in and if that's true they need to get over it. :102:

And the point I'm making is some of them aren't and yesterday and inparticulary the first half is as good as some of them are.The Table doesn't lie,we are there because we have a poor bunch of players.I'm walking away you seem to refuse to grasp that I just might be right,I thought similar to you but these players have had how many different Managers to sort their motivation etc out,the truth is they just aren't very good

But that comment would imply that Watford are the only 'big' league team we have been able to raise our game for. Surely Wolves, Ipswich, Palace and Sheffield United are 'big' enough for our players to get excited and raise their game for them too?

I think there is more to it than just facing decent opposition. Cup games, fair enough. The Watford game, well come on lets face it, even Allen knew before that one that he would be on his way hence his 'performance' on the centre spot beforehand. Maybe he was able to motivate one final 'big' effort from his team in a way that nobody else has since.

Well haven't they? Watford were top.When the leaders come to your ground your home team more often than not raise your game.Waftford was clearly a one off and people stillbe harping on about Watford,Villa and Chelsea when we kick off next season against Walsall,Port Vale etc

Then we should be able to win a few games shortly according to your theory. As we are almost bottom of the league we can confidently expect that our players will lift against every team we play with the exception of Scunny and Preston (from memory I think they're below us).

I don't think our defence is so bad. I just think we need to start creating chances as N'Gotty did when he put John in on goal. If he can do it why can't our midfield? And why wasn't Hayes in the game? Surely he would be our best option on the left wing?

We do need another striker and a few midfielders, which is exactly what Holloway will be looking at getting in. If we get them, and play as a team, I fully expect us to climb back up to midtable obscurity.

Other than Clemence we haven't got a midfield,the other players we use in midfield are forwards or defenders

I'm with HF on this one.

It's difficult if not impossible to 'prove' anything in football - but it's a near certainty given the recurrently bad results under successive managers that it's the players that are sub-standard i.e. they are below the bar for an average championship side. What I wouldn't know is whether this is mainly because they are just individually very poor or because there are dynamics as suggested above in this thread that means that the dressing room spirit is bad and there is a collective problem. Neither can you put the blame on the bad signings - which of course some of us like me ridiculed at time e.g. Cort, Kaebi, Hellings....and Neilson (who many people questioned). The fact is that we were already bad before they arrived....and nothing has changed.

I don't think that there is a cat in hell's chance of Holloway getting significantly better results out of this lot. He just needs to sign a couple of decent players in January to apply a sticking plaster - hope we survive - and then if he's still around (which must already be in question) try to re-build in the summer.

You are seriously deluded. The point I'm making is that most of our players are seriously shit and we're not in the position in the division because of any other fundamental reason. Yes, they're obviously mentally ****ed up and very under-confident but it hardly changed the fortunes of the side when new managers came in (as you'd expect there to be a lift with players wanting to play for the place). It's the same tripe served up each time (Megson and Ollie). And that's because they are not good enough. Martin Allen was a joke of a manager with his signings and it's very important that Ollie clears the mess left by him.

You are seriously deluded.
Really?

Maybe it's just a case of me being wrong :102:, I think "seriously deluded" maybe a bit over dramatical.

However, I still believe that our players are better than their performances of late are showing.

I'd challenge anybody to put a Y/N by these names in answer to this question:

Are the players listed below currently playing to the best of their ability:

Iain Hume
Matty Fryatt
Stephen Clemence
Patrick Kisnorbo
James Chambers
Collins John

I've finally seen the match and I thought, for what it's worth, that we were all right - not great but not terrible either. A decent point won IMO. First half Wolves were shocking but that's not our fault and not surprisingly they were much better second half (sounds like a few people expected them to roll over for us, for some reason, rather than fight back into the game like one of the better teams in the league would, at home). However we really should have taken our chances...

Even though he should have scored, at least John got into those positions because no fecker else has for months. But I don't think he's the answer long term.

Fryatt has skill and is supposed to be a goal poacher but that's no use if you never get the ball in dangerous areas or make runs to create space. He only looks impressive to me with the ball at his feet, facing goal outside the area. Nobody scores many from there...

Hume did well; great goal and always looked lively. But he makes several awful decisions in every game.

Kisnorbo is a more than decent player at this level. Distribution is not great (name me a defender in this league who can pass) but he reads the game very well and has good physical attributes. I'm very glad we've got him.

McAuley looked a bit suspect IMO.

Chambers and N'Gotty did OK playing completely out of position. We are really desperate for midfielders!

Can't really understand the slagging Clemence got. He did OK IMO considering he was surrounded by defenders. He needs a midfield to play alongside!

If Stearman played like that every week he'd actually be worth a place in the team (but he still has a tendancy to make horribly rash decisions).

Mattock looks like a little child in a man's game, but again I thought he did OK.

Overall I'm almost happy with it....

... considering!

Other than Clemence we haven't got a midfield,the other players we use in midfield are forwards or defenders

I don't understand why King and Hayes weren't used. Sometimes I wonder about Holloway's choices in team selection. And why not play a reserve grade midfielder rather than play other players out of position? Doesn't make sense to me. :102:

Are the players listed below currently playing to the best of their ability:

Iain Hume
Matty Fryatt
Stephen Clemence
Patrick Kisnorbo
James Chambers
Collins John

I wouldn't say you're seriously deluded, but I'm not going to commit to saying whether the players you've listed are playing their best either. To do that you'd have to see them a lot more than I do. Also all players have their ups and downs, as we all do. Chambers shouldn't be judged anyway cos he never seems to play in his proper position. John is just coming back from injury (again) and as Desert Fox has stated Clemence needs a midfielder alongside him. :icon_conf

I don't understand why King and Hayes weren't used. Sometimes I wonder about Holloway's choices in team selection. And why not play a reserve grade midfielder rather than play other players out of position? Doesn't make sense to me. :102:

I actually thought it was a great idea to play N'Gotty there, to stifle Olofinjana. Bruno's pass to CJ in the 1st half was exquisite too.

I actually thought it was a great idea to play N'Gotty there, to stifle Olofinjana. Bruno's pass to CJ in the 1st half was exquisite too.

I thought it was a good idea to employ someone there but didn't think N'Gotty was the man BUT I actually thought he did well there.

I thought it was a good idea to employ someone there but didn't think N'Gotty was the man BUT I actually thought he did well there.

I agree,in the 2nd half Olifanjawa (spelt wrong) got more into the game because NGotty satback too deep.It wasn't until Kenton came on and got into him that Olifanjawa had less of an effect on the game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669