Women's World Cup 2023

Graz

Couldn't see any thread about this!

Lauren James' performance today is worth talking about though.

2 goals and 3 assists - probably unlucky that her other goal was also ruled out too - and a couple of wonderful finishes. First time an England player - male or female - has been directly involved in 5 goals in a World Cup game.

England didn't look great in their first 2 games, but seemed to play really well today. Albeit I'm not sure how strong that China team is.

I watched this game and really enjoyed it - so different from watching England men. Some very good team-work, organisation and a desire to go and score goals.

Agree with all of the above.

They changed formation today to a 3-5-2 due to injuries and it worked very well against the 4-4-2.

A couple of cracking goals as well.

Seen the highlights from today's game and feel Hemp deserves a lot of credit too as that first touch to set up her finish was excellent.

Goalkeeping was pretty horrific for 2 of the goals and I think Danny Ward may have even saved another.

Knockout rounds are where it starts to get interesting as there is still quite a huge disparity in ability in the Women's game, if you're allowed to say that.

Quite liked hearing the VAR decisions played over the PA system, not perfect but much better than having no idea what secret discussions are going on.

...if you're allowed to say that.
Please god no !!!

Not here of all places. Can't we have just one place in this lunatic cartoon world where I don't have to hear that phrase ?

Jesus, it sucks the soul out of me whenever I hear it.

Yes you're allowed to say it. We all are. Because it's an obvious truth. I mean, Haiti FFS ?

The women's game is at about the same level internationally as the men's was around the time of the 1974 world cup.

Please god no !!!

Not here of all places. Can't we have just one place in this lunatic cartoon world where I don't have to hear that phrase ?

Jesus, it sucks the soul out of me whenever I hear it.

Yes you're allowed to say it. We all are. Because it's an obvious truth. I mean, Haiti FFS ?

The women's game is at about the same level internationally as the men's was around the time of the 1974 world cup.
Which England didn’t qualify for ;)

Is that the Haiti who came close to holding the champions of Europe to a draw, FFS?

Oh dear. Megan Rapinoe missed a penalty in the shootout in her final ever game and now the US are also out...

England more or less nailed on now you'd think. Which is fine. I just wish it wouldn't inevitably mean loads of articles comparing it with the men's game that have almost definitely been pre-written before the tournament even started.

"Lets compare apples with oranges & get a bit hysterical " Yawn.

Oof, England held to 0-0 in 90 mins by Nigeria.

Extra time coming. And now England have to face it with 10 players after a stupid sending off from Lauren James for a stamp.

From hero to villain if England go out here. It was a Beckham-esque sending off.

Stupid move from Lauren James and very, very difficult for England to win this now against a very strong and physical Nigeria team.

Oof, England held to 0-0 in 90 mins by Nigeria.

Extra time coming. And now England have to face it with 10 players after a stupid sending off from Lauren James for a stamp.

From hero to villain if England go out here. It was a Beckham-esque sending off.

Stupid move from Lauren James and very, very difficult for England to win this now against a very strong and physical Nigeria team.
It will go to penalties I guess

Let's hope the women have a better time than the men normally do in these.

Feeling very Beckham Vs Argentina 98 this!

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566
9Coventry City4464
10Preston 4463