Worst Away Game You Ever Attended

Status
Not open for further replies.
FA CUp final 1969. I was only a kid and absolutely gutted that we lost, especially after the excitement of going to every one of the earlier round with my Dad and Uncle. Now 50 years later, looking back I tend to think, "At least I once saw City in an FA Cup final"

Sousa actually managed to cling on until after the next game, the 4-3 at Norwich the following Tuesday where Fryatt got sent off. You just knew he was done after that.

Aye, I'd managed to forget that. He shouldn't have lasted until the end of the Portsmouth game.

I thought it was Bobby Davison, but having small children has fried my brain a bit, so I could easily be wrong.

I thought so too. There was a song we lustily sang that night that went something like "6 nil down don't give a ****..." or similar. I recall that we all seemed to have a terrific night.

I thought so too. There was a song we lustily sang that night that went something like "6 nil down don't give a ****..." or similar. I recall that we all seemed to have a terrific night.
I remember a lot of "we want 6" chants, then "we want 7", followed by "we want 8". I'm sure we scored the last goal (could be wrong) and people were going mad :icon lol:

We had a sweepstake for last goalscorer on the bus on the way up there. I drew one of the goalkeepers and it was decided that would be shared between the two people who drew GK's if it finished 0-0. That went well :icon lol:

I don't go to many away but the worst was a 4-0 drubbing at Stamford Bridge before the Abramovic revolution. Best, probably a 3-2 win over Forest at the City ground. I think that one was a late Knockaert winner on the last day which meant we snook into 6th place a few years back. Another really good one I remember was a 4-3 cup game at Craven Cottage. I can't remember if we won or lost but it was a great atmosphere, James Wesolowski scored and Steve Walsh was there in the stands with the fans...

Worst journey Newcastle away, someone ran into the back of our car on the way to the M1 decided to carry on as the lights were ok only for one of the back tyres to explode near East Mids airport. we couldn't get in the boot open & had to be towed to get a new tyre. made in to Newcastle just in time for kick off boring 0-0 draw and Kevin McDonald was sent off.

Was at the Sheffield Weds 7-1 and saw Everton put 7 past us at Goodison. Brum scoring 6 times at Filbert St the list goes on. Probably the worst tough choice loosing 5-0 at Man U and F****t inside a week in 1981 was grim

I could also add Ayresome park, midweek
Lost 2-0, Walsh carried off with a bad knee injury

& the 1982 cup semi v Spurs

I wasn't really counting neutral venue games, but the Blackburn playoff final was a bit of a shitter.

Um… Clive Clarke is still alive. The Forest player who scored that night died recently though.
I remember, he died and was resuscitated I believe, perhaps should have reflected that in my post.

Leaving the ground the news going around was just that one of our players had died, I remember making my way home in a daze feeling sick.

I remember, he died and was resuscitated I believe, perhaps should have reflected that in my post.

Leaving the ground the news going around was just that one of our players had died, I remember making my way home in a daze feeling sick.
Yeah I was at that game. It was a bit surreal and worrying. We were stood right next to a very helpful steward, who was keeping us informed as to what was going on, or at least as much as he knew at the time.

There's been a lot. Not coming from Leicester most of the games I went to were in the London area. Three stand out though.

Last game of the 76-77 season at an already relegated Spurs, lost 2-0(?). I thought at the time that we looked like relegation fodder for the next season already. Fast forward a couple of months and there was Frank McLintock giving his half time team talk on the pitch at QPR. Leicester were dire that day and I knew that my thoughts during the Spurs game were correct.

May 1985, a 4-0 loss at Luton, bloody awful performance at a crap ground.

Oldham - League Cup early mid 80s.
We took the lead but lost 3-1 I think. Alan Young scored at some point, can't remember if he was playing for us or them that night.
Can't forget the cold and wet. Rained all night and the 'car park' was just a very muddy field. Grim.

There was an away match at Port Vale at the dog end of the Pleat era.

We were abject, got rained on in the open away end all afternoon. Lost 2-0 I think. It was one of those away games where you'd look around at each other like addicts buying their morning drink/drugs. We were a pitiful bunch. There was no logic to being there. Defeat was inevitable.

Most notable for a (debut?) from Billy Davies in midfield. For reasons lost in the mist of time, we were pretty excited at the prospect of him strengthening our team. He was absolutely dreadful that afternoon. Like we'd signed a toddler by mistake. He was one of the least effective players we ever bought and he sloped back up to Scotland citing homesickness within weeks of arriving.

Sitting with the Sheffield Wednesday fans and seeing us get spanked 4-0 to a relegated home side. I am sure Matin O'Neill left shortly afterwards.

I dunno about the worst game but the coldest had to be the away game at Sixfields during the L1 campaign. It was bloody freezing and the wind cut through like a knife.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4490
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4469
8Coventry City4363