Confirmed Transfer Jermaine Beckford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very fortunate bobble off the defender to set him on his way. Appears to be quick and willing to take people on which is always great but doesn't look like he has a very good touch! Not sure about this one myself, would have preferred Maynard, but Beckford has been prolific in the past albeit at a lower level and he did alright for Everton in his first season in the Premier League.

Very fortunate bobble off the defender to set him on his way.

Which happens regularly, especially at this level, the main thing is that he persevered to the end and put the defender under the pressure to make that mistake.

Completely agree. Why in this day and age they still have to reschedule the club season around international fixtures, when most people care far more about club football is beyond me.

Either play the qualifiers in midweek or in the summer, just not on sodding weekends.

Or...stick the League Cup on these weekends.

First round - Last weekend of July
Second round - Bank Holiday Monday
Third round - September international break
Fourth round - October international break
Quarter Finals - Nov international break
Etc Etc

Or...stick the League Cup on these weekends.

First round - Last weekend of July
Second round - Bank Holiday Monday
Third round - September international break
Fourth round - October international break
Quarter Finals - Nov international break
Etc Etc

Possibly, but I think teams would be complaining about having their hands tied with selection as they have players away on international duty. Honestley, don't just see why they can't play them midweek when the CL fixtures aren't on. I reckon you'd probably get a bigger tv audience for a Tuesday night game than a Saturday 3pm kick-off anyway.

Completely agree. Why in this day and age they still have to reschedule the club season around international fixtures

"international weeks" are a relatively recent thing, it's not so long ago that qualifying matches would always be played on Wednesdays.

Having a week for internationals means the squad have longer to prepare for matches, and they can play two matches in a few days.

Is it really such a problem to have a few Saturdays off during the season?

Is it really such a problem to have a few Saturdays off during the season?
When there are so many inconvenient Tuesday/Wednesday night away trips because there aren't enough Saturdays in the season for the ludicrous number of fixtures, yes.

When there are so many inconvenient Tuesday/Wednesday night away trips because there aren't enough Saturdays in the season for the ludicrous number of fixtures, yes.

What is convenient for you may be inconvenient for someone else. Some people can't get to Saturday games and welcome midweek games.

I've had a look at the fixtures for this season, and for 1991-92 season (when there were no international weekends), to see how the midweek away league matches compare.

This season we have:
Middlesbrough, Burnley, Watford, Bristol City and Blackpool

In 1991/92 we had:
Barnsley, Brighton, Portsmouth and Grimsby.

So having international weekends hasn't made much difference, just one more midweek away match this season compared to 20 years ago.

What is noticeable though is the length of the journeys involved. It would be much more sensible to organise more local matches in midweek. I have a feeling the police don't like that happening though. It's nothing to do with International weekends.

What is convenient for you may be inconvenient for someone else. Some people can't get to Saturday games and welcome midweek games.
I think it's fair to say Saturdays are convenient for a greater number of people than Wednesday nights, or any other midweek day, for fixtures at the other end of the country. A couple of seasons back Hartlepool v Southend was on a Friday night. Without knowing, I'd guess the away end was virtually empty.
I've had a look at the fixtures for this season, and for 1991-92 season (when there were no international weekends), to see how the midweek away league matches compare.

This season we have:
Middlesbrough, Burnley, Watford, Bristol City and Blackpool

In 1991/92 we had:
Barnsley, Brighton, Portsmouth and Grimsby.

So having international weekends hasn't made much difference, just one more midweek away match this season compared to 20 years ago.
My point was that those Saturdays could be put to better use.
What is noticeable though is the length of the journeys involved. It would be much more sensible to organise more local matches in midweek. I have a feeling the police don't like that happening though. It's nothing to do with International weekends.
Quite why the police would dislike local derbies on weeknights is beyond me, but that is one of the 'reasons' given in the article somebody (me?) posted here a year or so ago.

Last edited:
A couple of seasons back Hartlepool v Southend was on a Friday night.

Last season Carlisle's matches at Colchester (720 mile round trip) and Brentford (620 miles) were on Friday night. There was no good reason for moving either of them from the Saturday.

I always used to use the Saturdays when Leicester weren't playing to go to a ground I'd not been to before, or to watch a local non league team.
Not playing games on a Saturday is not a new thing. In 1993/4 we played ten games on Sundays. Nine on Sundays in 1992/3 and 1995/6.

Quite why the police would dislike local derbies on weeknights is beyond me

Presumably because it's harder to nick people in the dark.

I think it's fair to say Saturdays are convenient for a greater number of people than Wednesday nights, or any other midweek day, for fixtures at the other end of the country. A couple of seasons back Hartlepool v Southend was on a Friday night. Without knowing, I'd guess the away end was virtually empty.

Quite why the police would dislike local derbies on weeknights is beyond me, but that is one of the 'reasons' given in the article somebody (me?) posted here a year or so ago.

120 fans.

Very fortunate bobble off the defender to set him on his way. Appears to be quick and willing to take people on which is always great but doesn't look like he has a very good touch! Not sure about this one myself, would have preferred Maynard, but Beckford has been prolific in the past albeit at a lower level and he did alright for Everton in his first season in the Premier League.
This boy could fire us into the premier league - of this I have no doubt - yes he's arrogant yes abit conceited yes he can sulk but this can work in our favour - when was the last time we had a centre forward who totally believes in himself - it's about time we had a premiership quality goalscorer who dosent like losing

Do the police have a say in the fixture list? I know they have the power to move a kick off time forward or back to earlier in the day or the night before etc but I've never known them to have any influence whatsoever on which game can be played what week. It would be mayhem! I 'm pretty sure it would fall solely on the shoulders of the Football League to arrange which games are played during a midweek fixture list.

I think it's a good point though, local matches would be better in midweek to help out fans having to travel to and from the grounds after work.

Last edited:
Do the police have a say in the fixture list?
I stand to be corrected here, but I believe a lot of people have a say in the fixture list. I understand that a computer produces a draft fixture list and this is then subject to revision after submissions by the police, British Transport Police, the clubs themselves and also, I think, The Football Supporters' Federation amongst others. The British Transport Police will try ( not always with success ) to have clubs who are particular rivals not travelling on the same line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566