Post Match Leicester 2 Arsenal 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we play like we did yesterday all season, I think we'll struggle to survive.

Our attacking threat is terrific and we run at teams with pace and confidence. However, if we continue to ship goals so easily, this won't last. Attackers form doesn't last. It especially doesn't last when their hard graft in creating and scoring goals is made completely futile by idiotic, amateurish defending. Eventually, they get to the point where their confidence takes a hit and then the real trouble begins. This is when you stop scoring and cannot stop conceding. Vardy and Mahrez have been exceptional so far and this will not go on forever.

We won't play sides with the pace and counter-attacking sense of Arsenal every week. But teams have now seen a very obvious way to counteract our playing style and you can be sure that Norwich and those that follow will be very well prepared for us. The same happened last season following the Man Utd game.

Every time Arsenal counter-attacked us, we had fewer than four defenders. Sometimes it was three, often just two. In possession, we attempted a 2-4-4 formation with both full backs seemingly uninterested in defending at all. This looks good when it works, but it won't work unless we face a totally unprepared side from now on.

Now is the time to change our personnel and style a little. We must play either four defenders that prioritise defending or three central defenders allowing the wide players more licence to roam. We are also playing too high a line when both our central defenders are slow. We also have a keeper that needs protection because he currently appears incapable of making a save worthy of the name.

We have a lot of good players and a great deal of potential to have a successful season, but we must grow up.

Leicester City let in five goals and was still cheered off the pitch. I cannot remember a Leicester team where that would have happened. There is a feeling that whatever happens this team gives everything and so the supporters actually support it.

The score line was harsh. 4-2 or even 3-2 would have been reasonable. However, there was no doubt that over the 90 minutes Arsenal were the better team.

Arsene and Claudio greeted each other like old friends. There was no Mourinho type antipathy there. Wenger spent the match getting irritated. Even when Arsenal were 4-1 up he seemed upset.

Great Caesar was furious when the referee did not see a foul on Shinji. The wild Roman hand gestures brought back memories of that frustrating, dysfunctional and to me greatest of cities.

Shinji and Leonardo are both players who can, in that poisonous phrase l"do a job" in the Premier League. If we are to go up a level we need somebody better than that alongside Vardy. Kramaric seems to me just not good enough.

A lady near me got excited when Leonardo was about to come on. She had her camera phone ready and got a photo of him topless. Does anybody happen to know when Leicester City ladies are playing next?

If we play like we did yesterday all season, I think we'll struggle to survive.

Our attacking threat is terrific and we run at teams with pace and confidence. However, if we continue to ship goals so easily, this won't last. Attackers form doesn't last. It especially doesn't last when their hard graft in creating and scoring goals is made completely futile by idiotic, amateurish defending. Eventually, they get to the point where their confidence takes a hit and then the real trouble begins. This is when you stop scoring and cannot stop conceding. Vardy and Mahrez have been exceptional so far and this will not go on forever.

We won't play sides with the pace and counter-attacking sense of Arsenal every week. But teams have now seen a very obvious way to counteract our playing style and you can be sure that Norwich and those that follow will be very well prepared for us. The same happened last season following the Man Utd game.

Every time Arsenal counter-attacked us, we had fewer than four defenders. Sometimes it was three, often just two. In possession, we attempted a 2-4-4 formation with both full backs seemingly uninterested in defending at all. This looks good when it works, but it won't work unless we face a totally unprepared side from now on.

Now is the time to change our personnel and style a little. We must play either four defenders that prioritise defending or three central defenders allowing the wide players more licence to roam. We are also playing too high a line when both our central defenders are slow. We also have a keeper that needs protection because he currently appears incapable of making a save worthy of the name.

We have a lot of good players and a great deal of potential to have a successful season, but we must grow up.

Agree with almost all of that, especially regarding the high line and how exposed we leave our, rather labored, back two.

I work for a group that has access to deep data from OPTA, I did some digging on us and we absolutely play a 244 based on positional maps. Easily the most attacking side in the league. While I love it, it's plainly obvious why we ship goals by the bucketload.

That all said, it's worth remembering how well we've done the last few months and not write it off on the back of one result.

Had we sat back and accepted it, we'd have lost 2-3.

I'd have taken that at 1-4

No complaints from me for going for it.

Me neither just a slight grumble on some of the performances.

I was thrilled with the first half, we looked like we had goals in us. It will be tough to beat clinical sides like Arsenal as they will expose our weaknesses too easily.

Not a great day result wise, but entertaining nonetheless.

I remember one or two on here said after the Spurs game that we should have 'gone for it' and that CR had been too defensively minded. Perhaps, in the light of Spurs' result yesterday, he got it right then and wrong yesterday.

I remember one or two on here said after the Spurs game that we should have 'gone for it' and that CR had been too defensively minded. Perhaps, in the light of Spurs' result yesterday, he got it right then and wrong yesterday.

You're spot on. It's like allowing your kid to only eat sweets and chocolate. They'll be happy and it will fine for a while but soon enough, major problems will start that are very difficult to fix.

Ranieri knows what he's doing. He just needs to assert his style and tactical approach more.

Our strength is in attack and pace. If we shore up a bit we lose at least a tiny bit of that edge.

We need to stick to our principles of attacking particularly at home.

We will lose to the top four probably but I would sacrifice eight defeats for the six results we have achieved against 'lesser' opposition this far. I know we will have some slip ups against some ofcthos lesser sides but feck me we scare teams with our pace and attacking intent.

Don't change it at all, just get better exponents of our system when they become available.

If it hadn't of been so flipping hot that day, we may well of had a go at them from the start.
The only day I've ever worn shorts to watch City. Too hot for cricket, never mind football!

Bringing on Kramaric effectively left us with ten men. Utter dogshit.

Incredibly harsh. It wasn't until Kram came on that we actually started creating chances again and looked like scoring. Yes he should have scored his effort from 6 yards out but you can't deny it took a world class ave from Cech to stop him. He also played a good ball across the 6 yard box that Cech palmed out and which Ulloa should have definitely scored from.

Alternatively he may have decided the only way to win was to try and win. I'd rather see us lose while being confident enough to go for it than accept defeat and sit back. We aren't strong defensively and defending for 90 against the Arse is different to trying to contain Spuds for 90, we'd probably have conceded the same amount yesterday without scoring any.

Our first defeat by more than 2 goals, since we came back up to the Premier League.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669