Pre Match Leicester v Brighton - FA Cup R5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been waiting my whole life for us to get to an FA Cup final but I would sack it off in the blink of an eye if I thought I had to watch it at home from an armchair without a single fan in attendance. That's not the FA Cup.

Would you rather win the fa cup or the Europa league?

Would you rather win the fa cup or the Europa league?
Tbh, the FA Cup.

The FA Cup has featured long in my memory/upbringing. I associate it with the pinnacle of (club) football achievement. As a kid growing up, I scored winning goals for Leicester City in FA Cup finals.

The Europa league is nothing to me. Now if you said the UEFA Cup, Nobby Stiles, rattles and scarves....

Nah, seriously, I can see the sense of the Europa league but for me personally the FA Cup would have more, um, resonance... meaning... significance... whatever.

The Europa and it’s not even close. The trophy in itself isn’t the prize, it’s the entry to next season’s Champions League that’s the goal and that’s one of two ways to get there.

The Europa and it’s not even close. The trophy in itself isn’t the prize, it’s the entry to next season’s Champions League that’s the goal and that’s one of two ways to get there.

Plus winning European competition raises the profile way more (as long as its in living memory)

I honestly couldn't tell you who won the Europa League last season. Seriously. I think it was an English club but I wouldn't swear to it. I could hazard a guess maybe... but that'd be based on who's in the CL and didn't finish top 4/5/6 in the Prem. Perm 1 from 3 sort of thing. Or was it that Spanish club that always wins the Europa League?? Oh, I don't know.

Not that I could tell you won the FA Cup last year either tbh. But that's kinda not the point. Basically, if we're not in it then I don't give a shit!

I honestly couldn't tell you who won the Europa League last season. Seriously. I think it was an English club but I wouldn't swear to it. I could hazard a guess maybe... but that'd be based on who's in the CL and didn't finish top 4/5/6 in the Prem. Perm 1 from 3 sort of thing. Or was it that Spanish club that always wins the Europa League?? Oh, I don't know.

Not that I could tell you won the FA Cup last year either tbh. But that's kinda not the point. Basically, if we're not in it then I don't give a shit!
The default answer is usually Sevilla.

Let's be honest, our squad isn't strong enough to win either competition.

I'm not sure we're strong enough to win the Europa League, but I think we're strong enough to win the FA Cup - we know we can beat any team on our day (except maybe Liverpool - but they're already out).

If you mean squad isn't strong enough to win either competition while prioritising Top 4 in the Prem, then yes you're right.

The thing is we do most of our shopping in Europe. The European teams take the Europa way more seriously than most English teams / supporters.

Winning it and becoming a constant on the European scene will almost certainly give us a big edge in transfer negotiations.

Most modern young European players probably don't give a flying toss about the FA Cup unfortunately. It's been degraded so severely over the years that most won't know what it is.

European success would be way more lucrative for the club on it's current journey.

European success would be way more lucrative for the club on it's current journey.
Oh, I'm sure it would. I don't doubt it for a second. I'm just being selfish and remarking on which would mean more to me.

The default answer is usually Sevilla.

I had to check, I thought it wasn't them last year because they were in the Champions League, but you were right.

They've stayed in the CL past the group stages this season, so at least it won't be them again

Can we win the Europa league? Of course we bloody can.

In many ways I think we are similar to Sevilla and if they can win it, multiple times, then we can win it if we throw everything at it.

If Leicester City were to win the bloody Europa League it would get about as much fanfare as when we won the league. Unfortunately that's because it's extremely unlikely.

If Leicester City were to win the bloody Europa League it would get about as much fanfare as when we won the league.
I’m sorry, what?!

We could win the treble of the Premier League, FA Cup and Europa League this season and it still wouldn’t.

If Leicester City were to win the bloody Europa League it would get about as much fanfare as when we won the league. Unfortunately that's because it's extremely unlikely.

Current odds on us winning it are 12/1. That's not 5000/1.
The odds would have been longer before the tournament started, but not by much, we were favourites to get through our group.
You can get similar odds on us winning the FA cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4469
8Coventry City4363