Andy Welsh

Status
Not open for further replies.
ET.jpg

I don't see why so many people are disappointed with it... I'm sure most people seemed to think he was decent when we had him last season. Surely better than Tiatto anyway, and Levi can't play every game.

I agree with Graz, he did OK last year and people were going on and on about how we hadn't strengthend the left midfield during the summer. RK would obviously have done so if he'd been able to get Welsh in.

I get the feeling that if we'd have been strengthening the squad on the back of a better start to the season people would have been happy to back RK on this one.

I love the way he is suddenly a 'forward' as we are short of strikers :102:

Reminds me of when we signed Andy Impey and the press had this story that he would play up front on his debut due to a shortage of strikers. Me, my brother and a mate all put a fiver on him at 20-1 to score first.

He played right wing and scored about twice in 5 years with the club :icon_roll

I am pleased we have re-signed Welsh. One of our biggest problems is not being able to break teams down at home when teams like Burnley, Colchester and Southend visit and put men behind the ball.

Without a player in our current side who can beat another player and whip crosses in we struggle. Welsh gives us the ability to get round the back of teams. Granted he wont score many goals, if any at all, but he will be a threat in wide positions and create chances for the likes of Fryatt and Hume. We will be a better team with him in it in my opinion.

That Lenny Pokeman, the young black winger, has done well but against Greg Halford of Colchester it was man against boy. I was embarrassed for the lad. He needs a break. He has shown some promise but has some way to go to be a regular just yet. I wouldn't be surprised to him sent out on loan.

I also though Welsh reasonably good. Having a proper left winger will give us some width and options, not just lumping the ball forward to CoG or Low, hopefully emulating the ball on the floor play that we had at the end of last season. Having worked well at getting the ball to Fryatt last year I expect the scoring problems will sort themselves.

He is a decent player. I think that it is the midfield and full backs that have been the reason that our strikers have had trouble scoring, get the ball to them near the ground and there will be goals.

I don't think that Welsh is the worst signing in the world but LM is not a position that desperately needs strengthening (striker, CM, RM do). Given our financial position I can only assume that somebody is lined up to go in January. At the end of last season this might have been Stearman but on current form I think it must be PK. If in the next few days RK says how important PK is to the team then he is definately on his way!

I also though Welsh reasonably good. Having a proper left winger will give us some width and options, not just lumping the ball forward to CoG or Low, hopefully emulating the ball on the floor play that we had at the end of last season. Having worked well at getting the ball to Fryatt last year I expect the scoring problems will sort themselves.

He is a decent player. I think that it is the midfield and full backs that have been the reason that our strikers have had trouble scoring, get the ball to them near the ground and there will be goals.

Good point.

I don't think that Welsh is the worst signing in the world but LM is not a position that desperately needs strengthening (striker, CM, RM do). Given our financial position I can only assume that somebody is lined up to go in January. At the end of last season this might have been Stearman but on current form I think it must be PK. If in the next few days RK says how important PK is to the team then he is definately on his way!

By the way I hope I'm wrong about PK.

I'm personally happy with this signing. He is definitely better than Tiatto and Levi is still a bit young and raw at the moment. Think it will improve the team so good signing IMO.

Given our financial position I can only assume that somebody is lined up to go in January.

We've got a guy in on loan and are probably not paying all his wages. This doesn't suggest to me that we have to get rid of someone :102:

We've got a guy in on loan and are probably not paying all his wages. This doesn't suggest to me that we have to get rid of someone :102:

I'm just assuming that as everyone keeps saying that we are broke we would only bring in Welsh if money was coming from somewhere. As LM is not a top priority, any money we do have would be spent where it is more urgently needed. I suspect that we are looking to sign this guy in January.

Reminds me of when we signed Andy Impey and the press had this story that he would play up front on his debut due to a shortage of strikers. Me, my brother and a mate all put a fiver on him at 20-1 to score first.

He played right wing and scored about twice in 5 years with the club :icon_roll

About twice? Wasn't it exactly twice? Once in a bad defeat at Bradford and then in a home game against Middlesbrough. But I remember him mostly for that low cross which put Cottee in for the first goal in a rare win at Newcastle. And don;t forget he was more of a wing-back than a winger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Liverpool615
2Manchester C  614
3Arsenal614
4Chelsea613
5Aston Villa512
6Fulham611
7Newcastle611
8Brighton69
9Nottm F69