Are stalled contract talks now starting to affect performances on the field?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fact is, players often have to wait until the end of their contracts before getting offered a new one. This isn't a phenomenon that has just started; it has always happened.

What!!!! All of it?? Even the apostrophes?

Apologists will jump in to remind you of the short careers that the poor darlings have when what they really should be doing is telling it to the idiots who live up to their income and don't put any away for the future. The players that we are talking about earn more, many of them much more, in their short footballing careers than the rest of us do in a life time. If they accepted the realities of this and tempered their lifestyle to the level of their average lifetime earnings they would still have a standard of living that most of us can not even dream of. And if they're really broke they could always get another job.

I do not disagree with anything that you have said, but it does not address the question raised by this thread. The question is not, "SHOULD the contract situation.....", but "IS the contract situation starting to affect performances"

If they win us promotion they get the chance to play in the Prem and earn new deals. If they don't, we probably won't be in a state financially which would allow us to keep them, unless its on reduced wages. And if it doesn't work out for us this season I'm sure the likes of Nugent, Morgan and Schmeichel won't have any trouble finding a club offering good wages. Just get on with it, basically.

They'll be off like a feckin' shot if we don't go up, given half a chance

If the fact they are concerned about new contracts is having a detrimental effect on their performances, then they can feck off.

I do not disagree with anything that you have said, but it does not address the question raised by this thread. The question is not, "SHOULD the contract situation.....", but "IS the contract situation starting to affect performances"

I agree. My answer to your direct question is that IMHO it is not affecting performances. I have no more evidence for this than anybody would have for the contrary view. Once the whistle blows, I would expect that his contract is the last thing that will be on a player's mind.

Last edited:
If they win us promotion they get the chance to play in the Prem and earn new deals.

I'm not sure that this is true for reasons I have already stated. Helping a club gain promotion to the Premier League may directly lead to a player's demise as a regular in that promoted team - and if the event happens to fall at the end of his contract it may mean that his contract will not be renewed.

Apologists will jump in to remind you of the short careers that the poor darlings have when what they really should be doing is telling it to the idiots who live up to their income and don't put any away for the future. The players that we are talking about earn more, many of them much more, in their short footballing careers than the rest of us do in a life time. If they accepted the realities of this and tempered their lifestyle to the level of their average lifetime earnings they would still have a standard of living that most of us can not even dream of. And if they're really broke they could always get another job.

Look. All I'm saying is that they are entitled to get as much money as they can while they are able to do it. How they spend it is of no concern to me. I don't begrudge the players a penny.

If they are overpaid, the market will (and is) correct (ing) itself.

Last edited:
What!!!! All of it?? Even the apostrophes?

**** off boc, the players are on the breadline and we must give them another £20k per week contract ASAP.

Us mortals get paid handsomely for 40-hours work per week. These poor feckers have to do a couple of hours training every other day and then have to run on a Saturday!!

How do you think the poor feckers are going to give their illiterate 10-year old an iPad this Christmas!?

Perhaps they chose their career to make money?

20 years? Hahaha.

For every Dave Nugent there is a Dean Ashton or a Stefan Moore.

Well maybe they should have chose a prolonged career that would pay them well throughout their life.

Most players sign pro at 16-18. They'll play the 35+. Hahahahahaha what ****ing spanner said that 35+ years take away 16-18 is more like 20 years than 10? hahahahaha.

Stuart Tomlinson.

Last edited:
Give me a 15 year career any day the lucky buggers

Actually, just give me an actual career.

Well maybe they should have chose a prolonged career that would pay them well throughout their life.

Most players sign pro at 16-18. They'll play the 35+. Hahahahahaha what ****ing spanner said that 35+ years take away 16-18 is more like 20 years than 10? hahahahaha.

Stuart Tomlinson.

Maybe you should have chosen a career that earns more money if it's that important to you?

Stuart Tomlinson.

I'll stop after this, since you aren't listening anyway.

Lots of players turn pro at 16 and by 22 are out of work or slipped down the leagues and aren't making much (Stevenson, Ashton, Reeves). There are also players, like Matt Jones, Matt Piper, Clemence, Muzzy etc etc whose careers are cut short by injury.

So, take in all of the players with the long careers you are talking about, add in the players who have been unfortunate or haven't developed and you'll find the average of their career spans to be far lower than you think.

We are going around in circles. Bottom line for me: having the arse with players because they want secure contracts is a wee bit silly.

Lots of players turn pro at 16 and by 22 are out of work or slipped down the leagues and aren't making much (Stevenson, Ashton, Reeves). There are also players, like Matt Jones, Matt Piper, Clemence, Muzzy etc etc whose careers are cut short by injury.

So, take in all of the players with the long careers you are talking about, add in the players who have been unfortunate or haven't developed and you'll find the average of their career spans to be far lower than you think.

We are going around in circles. Bottom line for me: having the arse with players because they want secure contracts is a wee bit silly.
This.

And I'll just repeat my point as you have clearly not read, or listened if you like.

No one forced them to chose a cut-throat career choice that could be a bit of a gamble.

This is beside the point being discussed though as we are on about our first team regulars.

Bottom line for me is that if you feel sorry for any of our players supposedly worrying about what they will do after this season they you are a bit mental.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570