Are stalled contract talks now starting to affect performances on the field?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morgan has been whining again.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/leicester-contract-row-wes-morgan-2986855

He's really starting to get on my tits now. Shut the feck up and play football.

I've just had a look at the '11' out of contract players and there is only Schmeichel, Morgan, Nugent and Dyer who'd probably get one anyway. All of whom would get a Championship club easy if we didn't give them a contract.

Don't fall for this shite Vichai/Top/Terry. You're doing the right thing.

Morgan has been whining again.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/leicester-contract-row-wes-morgan-2986855

He's really starting to get on my tits now. Shut the feck up and play football.

I've just had a look at the '11' out of contract players and there is only Schmeichel, Morgan, Nugent and Dyer who'd probably get one anyway. All of whom would get a Championship club easy if we didn't give them a contract.

Don't fall for this shite Vichai/Top/Terry. You're doing the right thing.

I agree. Footballers have had it too easy for a while now anyway. Even if FFP just gives clubs an excuse to snatch back a bit of leverage, then I think that's a good thing.

The quotes in that article read more like tangent speak. They'll all be stirring things up no doubt.

If Wes is not careful he will alienate himself from the management. No player is irreplaceable.

Yeah, some of his quotes there are pretty ill advised.

As BN said, there are only four that will get a sniff of a new contract and those four will have three paths:

1. We go up, they get premier league contracts, everybody hugs
2. We don't go up, we offer them championship contracts, they take them, everybody hugs
3. Sign for another championship or lower premier league club, bypassing the chance of a big deal from us in the event we win promotion.

As for the other 8? They'll get paid until June, then good luck to them.

Yeah, some of his quotes there are pretty ill advised.

As BN said, there are only four that will get a sniff of a new contract and those four will have three paths:

1. We go up, they get premier league contracts, everybody hugs
2. We don't go up, we offer them championship contracts, they take them, everybody hugs
3. Sign for another championship or lower premier league club, bypassing the chance of a big deal from us in the event we win promotion.

As for the other 8? They'll get paid until June, then good luck to them.

I agree MA.

If he has any real ambition of playing in the top league in England he will keep his mouth shut and keep working towards that goal, that will secure him a new contract.

I suspect the subtext of this might be "we're doing well, we want more money/a continuation of the insane contacts we're most likely on"

If he has any real ambition of playing in the top league in England he will keep his mouth shut and keep working towards that goal, that will secure him a new contract.

and so should his girlfriend...

I hear he's so worried about his contract situation that he's resorted to wearing an extra jumper rather than put the heating on at home. Perhaps we should give him some of the Foxes Trust money?

Even if these players are on £20k per week - it's hardly skid row is it?

Even if these players are on £20k per week - it's hardly skid row is it?

Would a player that is on say £20k/week now be any happier now if he was offered an additional 1 year now on £10k/week, which is more likely to be the pay offered if we don't get promotion ? (random wage figure chosen, not indicating any particular player)

FFP is going to have the impact of contracts not being offered in January at the vast majority of clubs in our division, it's just that the vast majority of our out of contract players are going to have to accept large contract reductions if they are playing in the Championship (at any club) or even lower division next season.

However if they focus on top level performances, they can prove that they are worth a Premiership wage (be that with us or if not promoted elsewhere)

Agents who do a proper careers advice service would do well to remind players of this

I may be in a minority, but I don't think Wes has said / done much wrong. He, naturally, would like a new contract sorting, paying him as much money as he can possibly command (using the leverage of things going rather well at the club at the moment, and him being a key part of that partial success). He is still showing 100% commitment to the club, and his performances have been good.

In addition, part of his responsibility as captain is to be a mouthpiece for the players in the squad. Better him speaking collectively of a desire to get contracts sorted, than each of the players individually airing their grievances.

That said, I don't think we should be in a massive rush to tie them up. Like others have said, the threat of them leaving in January doesn't appear to be huge. I do wonder why we can't sort the major players out with a very two-tiered contract offer. I think regardless of what division we are in, we will still want Dyer, Nugest, Kasper and Morgan; the only issue is the different terms of their contract depending on whether we're in the Prem or the Champ. A contingent contract really isn't rocket science.

I may be in a minority, but I don't think Wes has said / done much wrong. He, naturally, would like a new contract sorting, paying him as much money as he can possibly command (using the leverage of things going rather well at the club at the moment, and him being a key part of that partial success). He is still showing 100% commitment to the club, and his performances have been good.

In addition, part of his responsibility as captain is to be a mouthpiece for the players in the squad. Better him speaking collectively of a desire to get contracts sorted, than each of the players individually airing their grievances.

That said, I don't think we should be in a massive rush to tie them up. Like others have said, the threat of them leaving in January doesn't appear to be huge. I do wonder why we can't sort the major players out with a very two-tiered contract offer. I think regardless of what division we are in, we will still want Dyer, Nugest, Kasper and Morgan; the only issue is the different terms of their contract depending on whether we're in the Prem or the Champ. A contingent contract really isn't rocket science.

This is all correct but it shouldn't be done via the media

I was told that Wes and Konch both have automatic one year contract extensions triggered by number of appearances - this should happen in the next few games...
Whether that's good enough for them remains to be seen...

The players aren't going to accept the much reduced Championship contracts the club would have to put to them now and there is no likelihood of them accepting a 2-tiered contract either since it would lock in the reduced Championship wages, better to wait until there is clarity about which league the club is playing in on all sides. If players are moaning about it good luck to them in sorting something now, the situation is much different from 12 months ago

Sam Vokes has just signed an extension deal at Burnley until 2017. In my opinion he is no better a player than Vardy or Nugent.

Begs the question of whether we should be doing the same thing, just to satisfy the players. We could loan them or transfer them once we are in the prem?

Sam Vokes has just signed an extension deal at Burnley until 2017. In my opinion he is no better a player than Vardy or Nugent.

Begs the question of whether we should be doing the same thing, just to satisfy the players. We could loan them or transfer them once we are in the prem?

:102: or we don't get promoted and end up with a load of players on huge contracts and a massive FFP fine. Crazy.

Last edited:

Is his contract anything like as valuable as those enjoyed by the two City players?

Begs the question of whether we should be doing the same thing, just to satisfy the players.

BTQ abuse alert - BTQ abuse alert!

To prevent a player being able to enter into pre-contract talks with other clubs, the new contract must be at least as valuable as the one that is about to expire; it is adequately clear that City are unwilling to enter into new contracts on such terms - and for good reason! So in effect there is no way of stopping the alleged dissatisfaction. If the players believe they can get similar terms elsewhere in the current financial climate, I suggest that they should do so without delay.

We could loan them or transfer them once we are in the prem?

And if we did offer them new contracts on similar terms to their current ones, who do you think would have the money to take them off our hands?

Last edited:
Is his contract anything like as valuable as those enjoyed by the two City players?

BTQ abuse alert - BTQ abuse alert!

To prevent a player being able to enter into pre-contract talks with other clubs, the new contract must be at least as valuable as the one that is about to expire; it is adequately clear that City are unwilling to enter into new contracts on such terms - and for good reason! So in effect there is no way of stopping the alleged dissatisfaction. If the players believe they can get similar terms elsewhere in the current financial climate, I suggest that they should do so without delay.

And if we did offer them new contracts on similar terms to their current ones, who do you think would have the money to take them off our hands?

I can see that being an issue for the likes of Konchesky, Kasper and Nugent who were signed at a time when money appeared no object. Dyer too, I think had his contract extended under Sven though I doubt at the same value as the other 3.

Morgan is a slightly different case in that his worth to the club is as it was when Pearson signed him, if not greater. FFP is no excuse as it was known when we signed him.

That leaves the likes of Whitbread, Waghorn, St Ledger, Danns, Taylor-Fletcher and Wasilewski who I doubt will even be offered another contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669