Astrit Ajdarevic

Status
Not open for further replies.
From todays mercury ....

Premier League giants Liverpool say the ball is now in Leicester City's court over the future of teenager Astrit Ajdarevic.

The Anfield club have confirmed that the 18-year-old Swedish youth international will not be returning to Liverpool once his loan deal at the Walkers Stadium ends next month.

And Johnny Owens, who heads up the Liverpool academy, believes City could steal a march on their rivals by making a move to secure winger Ajdarevic's services on a permanent basis.

Owens said: "He won't come back to us and he will see out the season with Leicester and then they will have the first chance to offer him something.

"Other clubs will no doubt have a look at him as well so we'll have to wait and see what happens."

Ajdarevic made his first appearance for City as a second-half substitute in the home game against Carlisle on April 4.

He quickly impressed the Blue Army with his ability to keep possession, and had a hand in what looked to be City's winner before they were pegged back in injury-time by the Cumbrians for a 2-2 draw.

Ajdarevic joined Liverpool from Swedish club Falkenberg and made an immediate impact on Merseyside as a member of their FA Youth Cup-winning side in 2007.

But Owens admitted Ajdarevic had become frustrated at being unable to break into the first-team ranks at Liverpool.

"It was understandable because we have 60 professionals at Melwood (Liverpool's training camp) and I could see he was getting frustrated and he needed to look elsewhere to try to make it to the top level professionally," said Owens.

"It was vital to Astrit's development that he went to a team that wants to play football. I spoke to (City coach) Steve Walsh and it was clear that Leicester fitted the bill."

Owens believes that Ajdarevic can still play a part as City close in on their promotion back to the Championship.

"They've already got a strong squad at Leicester, but bringing in someone such as Astrit can add a fresh impetus."

City have a further Liverpool connection with both goalkeeper David Martin and central defender Jack Hobbs on season-long loans.

is he worth the risk??? ive not seen him play

Too early to say YV, what I saw of him he is probably more flair than grit, but if the fee is free or low then why not. Like most have said on here and what I have been saying for years is we need that tough tackler sorting out first in the centre!!

Too early to say YV, what I saw of him he is probably more flair than grit, but if the fee is free or low then why not. Like most have said on here and what I have been saying for years is we need that tough tackler sorting out first in the centre!!

Somebody with just the best qualities that Danny Tiatto had would fit the bill. No-nonsense, will put a foot in and then make a decent pass.

I haven't seen anything from him yet that suggests that he is worth a permanent contract.

Im not surprised with the amount of game time he's had.

What risk is there in signing an 18 year old for nothing? (presuming from that article that Liverpool don't want a fee.)

Liverpool will not be entitled to a fee. They have made it very clear that he will not be under contract to them from 1 July: to be entitled to a fee they would have to offer him a contract for the new season at no worse terms than the one that is about to expire.

Im not surprised with the amount of game time he's had.

That is at least part of what I am saying. But in the little time that I have seen, I have seen nothing that impressed me.

He is going to want first team football by the sounds of it. We are not in the position to guarantee anyone first team football so if you ask me we shouldn't bother.

That is at least part of what I am saying. But in the little time that I have seen, I have seen nothing that impressed me.

His hair is quite impressive.

He is going to want first team football by the sounds of it. We are not in the position to guarantee anyone first team football so if you ask me we shouldn't bother.

Surely that applies to anyone we sign, whats the point in signing a player who dosnt want first team football and is happy to sit on the bench/turn out for the reserves? So by your thinking, we will never sign anyone.

Plus im pretty sure he will have more of a chance of 1st team football here if he works hard, than at Liverpool wheres theres 60odd professionals fighting for it :102:

Surely that applies to anyone we sign, whats the point in signing a player who dosnt want first team football and is happy to sit on the bench/turn out for the reserves? So by your thinking, we will never sign anyone.

Plus im pretty sure he will have more of a chance of 1st team football here if he works hard, than at Liverpool wheres theres 60odd professionals fighting for it :102:

Fair point that you make. I'm just saying he sounds like the type of player who gets in a mardy when he isn't playing and he expects to be in the team every week. I don't want players like that.

Fair point that you make. I'm just saying he sounds like the type of player who gets in a mardy when he isn't playing and he expects to be in the team every week. I don't want players like that.

Didn't you want us to get DJ back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570