Brexit

I thought remainers were the snowflakes and then we get people saying we voted for Brexit because we got called some names??

yeah, a lot of snowflakery and name calling when opinions are challenged.... and strangely, no coherent arguments against or, say, quoted studies that prove arguments wrong
I was stunned to learn that people of a pro-Brexit stance are capable of being hyper-offended by sensible commentary. An oft-repeated refrain of conservatives across the English-speaking world and also America is “facts over feelings”, yet they seem to be the people ignoring the facts to vote with their feelings.

Any facts are as you wish or choose to present them.

Sone may be right at the time of writing but when this all settles down the facts will be different once again and open to interpretation to suit ones own argument and/or agenda.

If wages go up for lorry drivers, that doesn’t mean they are more productive, or that everyone is now living in a high wage economy. It means prices are higher whilst wages are flat, so fall in real terms

The reason wages are going up for HGV drivers is because for years they have been surpressed by multiple companies using cheap foreign labour to keep wages artificial low, now that cheaper foreign labour has been removed the wages are finding their way to what should be the real levels.

The problem was the middle classes with their white collar jobs that were never competing with cheap foreign labour were never bothered about blue collar workers having to accept poor wages, zero hours contracts forced self employment and all the crap that being in the EU brought with it.
When the vote came in to leave the EU the people that for years that were being undermined taking for granted and ignored suddenly had a voice and a chance to have their say. These same people couldn't give a rats arse about not being able to buy a 2nd home in the Dordogne, they wanted a decent wage with dignity and to be treated fairly with proper T&C.

It all could of been avoided but now we are reaping what we have sowed.

It won't end here the UK was the 1st wave the Dutch are having similar problems within their society and the EU are scared if they get a vote to leave the working class will give the same outcome the UK did.
The Dutch are just waiting to see how it plays out for the UK before they react, this is one reason why the EU is determined the UK will crash and burn.

Yes, yes, it was a working class revolution

That was definitely why people voted for it
So why was the majority of the areas that voted leave all in working class areas with high levels of immigrants and the majority of the areas that voted remain were London and the South East

So why was the majority of the areas that voted leave all in working class areas with high levels of immigrants and the majority of the areas that voted remain were London and the South East
No, that’s true, racism is unheard of in areas with a lot of immigrants

Most big cities, including Leicester, voted remain. Scotland voted remain.
Places with a lot of people with university degrees voted remain.

A lot of rural areas voted leave.

People voted leave for two reasons - ‘taking back control’ of laws rules and regulation - and immigration

That’s it

I was stunned to learn that people of a pro-Brexit stance are capable of being hyper-offended by sensible commentary. An oft-repeated refrain of conservatives across the English-speaking world and also America is “facts over feelings”, yet they seem to be the people ignoring the facts to vote with their feelings.

BM you are of course correct that the right claim to put facts over feelings but do the opposite. Why do you confine it to the right? So do the left. It is called being human.
I go back to my post number 172 and a far greater crisis. Those who supported James II and those who supported William III were faced with the same set of facts. They also agreed that those who disagreed with them were either stupid or corrupt. In 1688-89 people on both sides were just as sure as any of the posters here.
It would have been nice to have seen more "unconditional regard" and less certainty on this thread.

I do believe it was a protest vote but what I don't get is why the non white collar workers decided to vote for the private school lot from Eton that are as far detached from working class lives as possible?

I do believe it was a protest vote but what I don't get is why the non white collar workers decided to vote for the private school lot from Eton that are as far detached from working class lives as possible?
I don't think they voted for a private school lot they would of voted for anyone including Jeremy Vine or Genghis Khan if they offered leave

Well my daughter just got a nice new blue non-eu British passport

So everything worked out just fine as far as I can see
I got mine recently, but I think it is black, not blue. Anyway, when my Irish citizenship finally comes through (and then my Irish EU passport), it will go into a draw to gather dust.

People voted leave for two reasons - ‘taking back control’ of laws rules and regulation - and immigration

That’s it
Don’t forget the fishies

The reason wages are going up for HGV drivers is because for years they have been surpressed by multiple companies using cheap foreign labour to keep wages artificial low, now that cheaper foreign labour has been removed the wages are finding their way to what should be the real levels.

The problem was the middle classes with their white collar jobs that were never competing with cheap foreign labour were never bothered about blue collar workers having to accept poor wages, zero hours contracts forced self employment and all the crap that being in the EU brought with it.
When the vote came in to leave the EU the people that for years that were being undermined taking for granted and ignored suddenly had a voice and a chance to have their say. These same people couldn't give a rats arse about not being able to buy a 2nd home in the Dordogne, they wanted a decent wage with dignity and to be treated fairly with proper T&C.

It all could of been avoided but now we are reaping what we have sowed.

It won't end here the UK was the 1st wave the Dutch are having similar problems within their society and the EU are scared if they get a vote to leave the working class will give the same outcome the UK did.
The Dutch are just waiting to see how it plays out for the UK before they react, this is one reason why the EU is determined the UK will crash and burn.

Fair call on the difference of jobs....as Stewart Lee says...."well what if i WANT coffee served to me cheaply"

A Brexit benefit is....higher wages if you work in a sector populated by workers from the wider market

Although the definition of "real" for the wage level of lorry drivers....doesn't really exist, real is...how it is

But as for other countries leaving the EU after watching the UK......seems as though we have done the EU a favour, they have petrol and everything over there. Other countries think we're mad

And the whole blaming the EU for Brexit....did we get back control or not?

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566
9Coventry City4564
10Preston 4563