Speculation Chong Tae-Se

Status
Not open for further replies.
When he first played for them it had been 40 years since they'd played in the World Cup finals and I don't think anyone expected them to qualify for the 2010 finals. So I don't think it was anything to do with the World Cup, it was more to do with his attachment to the country, despite not having lived there.

I'm not saying I don't think we should sign him, just that I think the people who say he had no choice about playing for North Korea, or that he did it to play at the WC finals are not aware of his history.

This is what it says about him on Wikipedia:

"Jong is a third generation South Korean who was born in Nagoya, Japan to second generation South Korean parents with South Korean citizenship. His mother identified herself as a North Korean and sent him to attend a private school in Japan run by Chongryon, a group closely tied to the North Korean government – where he started football at its elementary school club. He later attended Korea University, a private university in Tokyo also funded by Chongryon"

So it sounds like he was brainwashed by the North Koreans from a young age.

i've met plenty if Koreans in Nagoya, a significant number of them living in boxes under the raised highways. It's not a glamorous life for them, but I guess that makes little difference. The Japanese treat Korean immigrants fairly harshly and that may have changed the guys perception if capitalism but why would people have a problem with his football choices?

It all goes to prove that he uses his brains then good for him.
It proves nothing. Vinnie Jones played for Wales, despite being about as Welsh as Southend pier, and he is a complete tool.

This is a bit of a non-point unless both Japan and South Korea tried to 'pick' him to represent their national team. I also made the point that there are bound to be a number of factors in making a decision about 'who' to play for, even where the situation is such that there is a decision to be made.

I consider myself to be English but could probably qualify to play for Scotland and given the opportunity (which obviously is not going to happen) I would jump at it, as I would to play at that level. That is not so say that I give active or tacit support to whichever political party or movement the Scotland selectors are most aligned with or the actions of the Scottish as a nation and people over the past few hundred years.

I don't actually believe that you disagree with me. Feel free to focus on specifics that have no bearing on the actual argument though! I do like this forum, but often potentially decent debates get derailed very quickly by irascible, argumentative so and so's so who don't necessarily disagree or have any opinion, but arm themselves with the twin guns of pedantry and obfuscation and their insatiable urge for confrontation and disagreement who sideline what is actually being discussed.

Just my tuppence worth and I freely admit to being very tired, still quite hungover and finding it hard to let go of yesterday's irritability having found that someone had driven across my front garden, destroying a foot tall retaining fence, a four foot fushsia and several asiatic lilies. This really annoyed me and I sense it is probably behind some of these posts!
Have an extra hour in bed tomorrow, then have a massive fry up.

Guilty by association? It's not like he's Kim Jong-Il's right hand! (not a sexual reference).

I think we should be more concerned that he was branded the "North Korean Rooney" last year (IIRC). Is he banging postitutes? Does he have a receding hairline?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669