Claudio Ranieri Appointed Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hear hear. Obviously we didn't know it at the time (nor, I think, did the owners) but the sacking of Pearson and appointment of Ranieri might the best thing that has happened to the club for a very long time.

That's all very fine, but deep down we all know he's a clown.

http://www.skysports.com/football/n...ive-ways-hes-changed-things-at-leicester-city

I found this quite interesting, and mostly accurate. Many seem to think that Ranieri has started so well by not changing anything from Pearson's excellent run at the end of last season. This article disputes that and I agree with the sentiment.

I doubt whether anyone with any knowledge of football, that has watched several of our matches, could fail to see loads of improvements in our team this season.

The ones mentioned in this article are largely accurate. It is impossible to know how individuals that have clearly improved this season would have been under Pearson but it would stretch reality to put none of it down to Ranieri.

The main improvements for me are in terms of our shape, our intelligence in and out of possession, our conservation of energy, our bursts of pace and attacking intent, and so on. The things called 'game management'. More than anything, our improvement is about us making best use of what we have. We are also always prepared for the opposition and how they play much more than we ever were under Pearson.

I feel a lot better about Pearson now that he's gone from the club. I will always appreciate his decision to use the huge funds available to him to invest in excellent recruitment, medical and fitness facilities. But I cannot imagine us being anything like where we are now had we retained him. He was simply not technically capable of doing these things and never employed anyone that could do them either. His finding an effective way of playing towards the end of last season was nothing more than pure luck half way through the game at West Brom having exhausted just about every formation and variation in personnel over months of miserable misuse of a perfectly capable squad of players.

One final thing is that we're remarkably well liked this year. Pundits, journalists and fans from other teams love us. Much of this is because we have a manager that manages to talk (in his third or fourth language) with the sort of humour, modesty, intelligence and calmness that always seemed way beyond Pearson. Ranieri represents the club so much better and makes our success something that I'm prouder of.

The main improvements for me are in terms of our shape, our intelligence in and out of possession, our conservation of energy, our bursts of pace and attacking intent, and so on. The things called 'game management'. More than anything, our improvement is about us making best use of what we have. We are also always prepared for the opposition and how they play much more than we ever were under Pearson.

I'm not sure whether or not you saw the interview with Albrighton on Soccer AM on Saturday but one of the first things he mentioned was shape.

Ranieri said that we were far too open and had so many gaps in between our players when defending that it made it so easy for the opposition to break us down.

I know our defensive record thus far hasn't shown it, but I do feel from open play we have considerably improved defensively since we picked up the clean sheet against Palace. Set pieces are a different matter though and an area for big improvement.

Second, he said that playing to the team's strengths was key. The team had lots of pace in attacking areas, so counter attacks were an obvious point of where we could hurt the opposition.

Finally, another thing that I liked was that Albrighton mentioned losing. He said all the manager asks is that if we lose, we lose in the right manner and he will not be upset. Albrighton felt that under NP if he didn't score or get an assist he would be dropped the next week and that put pressure on him. He said Ranieri understands players have off days and he feels more freedom under CR.

Happy days indeed.

I'm not sure whether or not you saw the interview with Albrighton on Soccer AM on Saturday but one of the first things he mentioned was shape.

Ranieri said that we were far too open and had so many gaps in between our players when defending that it made it so easy for the opposition to break us down.

I know our defensive record thus far hasn't shown it, but I do feel from open play we have considerably improved defensively since we picked up the clean sheet against Palace. Set pieces are a different matter though and an area for big improvement.

Second, he said that playing to the team's strengths was key. The team had lots of pace in attacking areas, so counter attacks were an obvious point of where we could hurt the opposition.

Finally, another thing that I liked was that Albrighton mentioned losing. He said all the manager asks is that if we lose, we lose in the right manner and he will not be upset. Albrighton felt that under NP if he didn't score or get an assist he would be dropped the next week and that put pressure on him. He said Ranieri understands players have off days and he feels more freedom under CR.

Happy days indeed.
In the interview that I saw on soccer am, Albrighton never mentioned any of the last part.

I doub t whether anyone with any knowledge of football, that has watched several of our matches, could fail to see loads of improvements in our team this season.

The ones mentioned in this article are largely accurate. It is impossible to know how individuals that have clearly improved this season would have been under Pearson but it would stretch reality to put none of it down to Ranieri.

I feel a lot better about Pearson now that he's gone from the club. I will always appreciate his decision to use the huge funds available to him to invest in excellent recruitment, medical and fitness facilities. But I cannot imagine us being anything like where we are now had we retained him. He was simply not technically capable of doing these things and never employed anyone that could do them either. His finding an effective way of playing towards the end of last season was nothing more than pure luck half way through the game at West Brom having exhausted just about every formation and variation in personnel over months of miserable misuse of a perfectly capable squad of players.

One final thing is that we're remarkably well liked this year. Pundits, journalists and fans from other teams love us. Much of this is because we have a manager that manages to talk (in his third or fourth language) with the sort of humour, modesty, intelligence and calmness that always seemed way beyond Pearson. Ranieri represents the club so much better and makes our success something that I'm prouder of.
Well BN, its not often if ever that I have agreed with you but this time your spot on, there is no doubt that Ranieri is a definite improvement on the Pearson regime. Pearson left a strong squad and his ground work has helped the Club enormously, but Ranieri has fine tuned what he left, and we are seeing the benefits of his knowledge. Ranieri has a fantastic way with the media, and its nice to know that he will not create a headline for the wrong reasons. I don't remember City ever getting this amount of free publicity, Jamie Vardy has done fantastically well, but behind him is Ranieri managing the publicity side so well and so effectively.

I doubt whether anyone with any knowledge of football, that has watched several of our matches, could fail to see loads of improvements in our team this season.

We have a huge amount to thank Pearson for but basically our Thai owners have gone for a managerial upgrade.

We have a huge amount to thank Pearson for but basically our Thai owners have gone for a managerial upgrade.

There was a point where Southampton chose to bin off Nigel Adkins, who had been key to their meteoroic rise to the premier league, and replace him with a new manager called Mauricio Pochettino. When Pearson was sacked, whilst I was surprised, a small part of me hoped this gamble from our owners would have similar results.

It's not unfair to say that Ranieri, whilst I suspected he would do well, has hugely surpassed all expectations. He has recognised our strengths and given us a highly specific playing style which is working absolute magic. Anyone saying this is still Pearson's team could not be more wrong. Great work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566