Post Match Crystal Palace 1 - 2 Leicester City

Status
Not open for further replies.
Schmeichel - 7 - Safe pair of hands, only beaten by a wonderfully placed strike from Parr.
Moore - 6 - Solid debut, performed defensive duties well. Distribution needs work.
Mills - 5 - Poor first half, makes some very unusual decisions with and without the ball. Improved towards the end.
Tunchev - 5 - Got away with a blatant handball. Not match fit but well on the way back.
Bamba - 8 - Made several crucial clearances and a couple of risky runs.
Kennedy - 8 - Man of the match. Completely aware of everything around him, made several key tackles and confident going forward.
Abe - 7 - More than happy in the three man midfield in the first half. Equally comfortable after the switch to 4-4-2.
King - 7 - Superb. The King of last season returned today. Like Abe, did a lot of work to win and retain the ball.
Danns - 8 - Best game in a Leicester shirt by a mile. Scored one, created another, worked tirelessly to win the midfield battle. Immense.
Schlupp - 5 - Made some good runs but never looks like beating or even matching a defender for speed or strength. A long way from being ready for this league.
Nugent - 4 - Pointless.

Dyer - 5 - Ran around a lot but didn't affect the game much.
Howard - 0 - Achieved nothing, red card was his own fault.
Beckford - 4 - Didn't have much time to affect the game but looked dangerous. First touch improving.

I wouldn't disagree with these too much. I would probably lower Danns' rating (midfield worked their proverbials off, but in truth we were poor and couldn't keep the ball) and would increase Schlupp's (for looking like our only threat for much of the game) and Nugent's (work rate and some nice link up play). I thought Beckford looked very interested and very dangerous when he came on.

Overall, it was great to see us battle to a result - it seems like a long time since we have done that. I thought we were clearly the inferior team, we didn't play very well and we really struggled to retain possession, BUT we wanted the result and it was a pleasure to witness it.

I hope that Steve Howard never ever plays for us again. God knows why he is adored by so many fans?

I wouldn't disagree with these too much. I would probably lower Danns' rating (midfield worked their proverbials off, but in truth we were poor and couldn't keep the ball) and would increase Schlupp's (for looking like our only threat for much of the game) and Nugent's (work rate and some nice link up play). I thought Beckford looked very interested and very dangerous when he came on.

Overall, it was great to see us battle to a result - it seems like a long time since we have done that. I thought we were clearly the inferior team, we didn't play very well and we really struggled to retain possession, BUT we wanted the result and it was a pleasure to witness it.
I can understand where you're coming from to a point. I gave Danns an 8 because he was doing a lot of the tackling in midfield, and the quality of his set pieces. He also took his goal superbly. Schlupp did look threatening at times but can you honestly say when he's got the ball you believe he'll score? He's not got the physical attributes to cut it just yet. As for Nugent, a lot of the things he tried came to nothing and he was just frustrating in the end. Another thing that I noticed was his body language towards the two kids when they made individual mistakes. He acted exasperated rather than supportive. He should he encouraging them.

I disagree entirely about us being inferior. Palace were dire going forward. Retaining possession was a problem for us today but winning it back was so easy that at times it was like we were playing a non-league side.

Yeah he needs to be more like Waghorn and less like Yakubu. Alan Young summed it up perfectly when he said fans won't mind if he's playing poorly if he's running around. He forgot to add that this makes fans morons.

Rather harsh.
Most football fans would love to have been good enough to play as professionals and they like to see players willing to give everything.

Perhaps the greatest bond between fans and player in my time was Nat Lofthouse and Bolton. The Bolton fans knew that Lofthouse would play with a reckless disregard for his own safety - and it should be said the safety of his opponents. Of course he was also very good.
IMO the greatest player of all time was Di Stefano of Real Madrid and it was notable watching a DVD of their 7-3 beating of Eintracht how hard he was willing to work for the team.

It is possible to be a great striker and not work hard (Jimmy Greaves and Gary Linecker) but you can only get away with that if you score a lot of goals.

I recently explained the difference between Steve Howard and Jermaine Beckford thus:
if they made a movie of Carry On Leicester City then Steve Howard would be played by Sid James whereas Jermaine Beckford would be played by Charles Hawtry.

I thought Yakubu was one of the best Leicester players I've ever seen, but there's a difference: Yakubu created his own chances and the reason we were scoring so many was down to him not necessarily the players around him, whereas Beckford needs chances fed to him on a plate. There's a reason the goal poacher is on the decline so much in the modern game: Pressing is one of the most important parts of the modern game. We should be defending as a team. Not talking about aimless running around a lot which is pointless, but if it's effective pressing than it's a very important attribute to the team and not even attempting it is definitely a negative attribute which Beckford has.

I definitely find it frustrating when Beckford refuses to close down or press defenders he is 2 yards away from. If that makes me a moron, so be it.

Last edited:
I thought Yakubu was one of the best Leicester players I've ever seen, but there's a difference: Yakubu created his own chances, Beckford needs them on a plate. There's a reason the goal poacher is on the decline in the modern game: Pressing is one of the most important parts of the modern game. We should be defending as a team. Not talking about aimless running around a lot which is pointless, but if it's effective pressing than it's a very important attribute to the team and not even attempting it is definitely a negative attribute which Beckford has.

I definitely find it frustrating when Beckford refuses to close down or press defenders he is 2 yards away from. If that makes me a moron, so be it.

Moron. I know what you mean, and there is a difference, but what I have seen over the Christmas games Beckford has been closing down a lot more. Young, along with some fans, are obsessed with players winning every ball in the air as though it is the be all and end all. If Beckford (or Gallagher, he gets stick for it) isn't going to win a header I would sooner he tries to read the direction to win the second ball, which he does.

Pressing is one of the most important parts of the modern game. We should be defending as a team. Not talking about aimless running around a lot which is pointless, but if it's effective pressing than it's a very important attribute to the team and not even attempting it is definitely a negative attribute which Beckford has.

I'm confused. This is exactly the thing you said, quite rightly, Yakubu shouldn't be spending all his energy on last season. But now Beckford should be doing it?

I'm confused. This is exactly the thing you said, quite rightly, Yakubu shouldn't be spending all his energy on last season. But now Beckford should be doing it?

No, because we could afford to facilitate for Yakubu as he was so brilliant at creating his own chances though. Through his movement and strength and when he got them, he also took them. Even though he's a goal poacher, he wasn't a player who needed great service and most of the assists to his goals were just simple passes, because he was so good at finding that space as to where that was all that's needed. In that case Yakubu was a luxury we could afford, because he added so much to the team from an attacking threat.

I don't see that with Beckford, I'm happy to be proven wrong, but he just seems like a player who isn't going to get himself into positions where a simple ball is needed, he seems needs balls being flicked on over the top to find him and then to try and get behind the defence and use his pace to get into one-on-one situations. From what I gather from Leeds fans he was always really poor when not played alongside a target man (Becchio) to win balls in the air and to flick them on for him. I don't think lack of service from the midfield as so many have been saying is the problem per say, so much as lack of a good strike partner.

I don't know, it just seems to me that both Nugent and Beckford don't suit each other and that they both need a target man or a player who can hold the ball up well alongside them and if it were either Nugent or Beckford who was the player who we should bring that player in to support, then I'd definitely want that to be Nugent as his all round game is much better for me. I certainly don't think we should facilitate for Beckford with the current set of players, though if we bring in a suitable strike partner for him then that may change, but even then I think the strike partner might suit Nugent better.

Last edited:
If you want to believe Bert, he somehow was able to lip read what Howard called the linesman. Apparently the linesman was 'a ginger ****'

if they made a movie of Carry On Leicester City then Steve Howard would be played by Sid James whereas Jermaine Beckford would be played by Charles Hawtry.

I'm sending this in to Private Eye for their 'Pseuds Corner' spot.

When is the deadline for 5 yellow cards not being a suspension anymore? Is it new year or is it in Feb/March time, can't remember. We currently have 5 or 6 players on 4 yellow I think.

Schmeichel - 7 - Safe pair of hands, only beaten by a wonderfully placed strike from Parr.
Moore - 6 - Solid debut, performed defensive duties well. Distribution needs work.
Mills - 5 - Poor first half, makes some very unusual decisions with and without the ball. Improved towards the end.
Tunchev - 5 - Got away with a blatant handball. Not match fit but well on the way back.
Bamba - 8 - Made several crucial clearances and a couple of risky runs.
Kennedy - 8 - Man of the match. Completely aware of everything around him, made several key tackles and confident going forward.
Abe - 7 - More than happy in the three man midfield in the first half. Equally comfortable after the switch to 4-4-2.
King - 7 - Superb. The King of last season returned today. Like Abe, did a lot of work to win and retain the ball.
Danns - 8 - Best game in a Leicester shirt by a mile. Scored one, created another, worked tirelessly to win the midfield battle. Immense.
Schlupp - 5 - Made some good runs but never looks like beating or even matching a defender for speed or strength. A long way from being ready for this league.
Nugent - 4 - Pointless.

Dyer - 5 - Ran around a lot but didn't affect the game much.
Howard - 0 - Achieved nothing, red card was his own fault.
Beckford - 4 - Didn't have much time to affect the game but looked dangerous. First touch improving.

agree with most ... bit more for Schlupp... 6+ ... he worked very hard and worked himself a couple of v good chances. He's probably 18mnths away from coping with this level. I like him though.
And for all the stick he gets Beckford looked like he wanted to play for the cause... and once Howard told the linesman he was a "ginger c**t" Beckford had little chance to impress.

Also if you noted Pearson made a big fuss of Beckford at the final whistle... i feel he'll keep trying with him..

anyway ..great day out ... and nice to see some young players tried... we went with some Palace fans who thought Moore had a good solid game. Kennedy didn't do his chances and harm either.. Bamba and Abe were my stand out players.

on the negative... Lloyd Dyer shouldn't be near the first team now.. he has lost the ability to take on his fullback 1-1.. and he had at least 4 chances to do that today.

Wellens was there today . but even on the bench.! interesting if he gets near the team again ?

:038::038::038::038::038:

I'm sending this in to Private Eye for their 'Pseuds Corner' spot.

I thought it was rather apposite.
Sid James craggy and hard but irresponsible and well past his best like one of our strikers.
Charles Hawtry wimpish and thoroughly ineffectual like another of our strikers.

Anyway pseuds look down on Carry On Movies - they prefer to write to Pseuds Corner instead.:icon_lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669