Post Match Crystal Palace 1 - 2 Leicester City

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy new year all :-)

Not posted for a while as I have been enjoying a drink sodden festive period which only ended today.

2012 off to a banging start with an away win.Plus the crap I put on ebay after xmas has sold for much more than expected so no Dry January for me :-D

I'll start 2012 with a story...as used to be traditional.It is inspired by Steve Howard.

I completely accept that todays sending off was bloody stupid & unprofessional & that he can have no excuse.

BUT...it does make me pine a bit for the former,more casual days of the game in times gone by.

During my less than glorious days as a sunday youth league striker I was once the victim of a refereeing howler.
I was running into the box having just received a pass,I was looking down at my feet while trying to bring the ball under control & saw the white line pass under my boots just as the opposing centre-half rammed his left elbow into my ribs.As the sharp pain hit & the wind went out of me I lost control of the ball & dropped to my knees.As I did so i heard a sharp blast from the ref's whistle.

PENALTY! brilliant,I thought...especially as I'd be taking it & therefore had a chance of sunday morning glory at the theatre of dreams that was Braunstone Park in the late 70s.
as I clambered to my feet I saw to my horror that the ref had in fact awarded an indirect free kick...outside the box! My teenage outburst was heartfelt:

ME: "What the f**k is that ref?...It was f**king inside & how is a f**king elbow a f**king obstruction!!" (big AND clever you see :-D)

REF: "It's outside,you were blocked off,I didnt see an elbow.Free kick,indirect.Get on with it"

To be fair to him,he was blindsided so couldnt have seen the elbow...that centre-half knew his business.Predictably,then as now,the linesman (who was on the RIGHT side & bang in line...saw f**k all either!)
None of this mattered to me though in the heat of the moment.

ME: "You f**king wanker,thats a penalty clear as f**king day.You've cost us the game you f**king twat"

REF: (wandering across for a word) "Look son,I know you're upset but its a free kick.Deal with it.& less of the language OK?...

...now f**ck off before I book you,you lanky c**t!!" :-D

I miss those innocent days!

Last edited:
If they said that they're wrong.

They're not reset. Players on 4 yellows still have 4 yellows.

The thing that's changed is that there's no suspension for getting 5 yellows from the start of January. There are still suspensions for getting to 10 or 15 yellow cards. Players who get to 5 yellows get a warning but no suspension.

This. And the suspension goes up to 2 matches for 10 yellows.

I disagree entirely about us being inferior. Palace were dire going forward. Retaining possession was a problem for us today but winning it back was so easy that at times it was like we were playing a non-league side.

I think we will just have to agree to disagree, because in my mind there is no way that we deserved to win the game. I would guess that the stats would support my view, although I haven't seen them and I recognise that they mask a hell of a lot. That's not to say that Palace were good, but I thought they were better than us today. It's also not me having a go at our players, because I thought their commitment was excellent and they thoroughly deserved to be clapped off the pitch.

I think they start with a clean slate on 1st January.

Not quite. They are still being totted up. Five cautions now gets them a "warning as to future conduct".

If they get to 10 cautions before the second Sunday in April, they get a 2-game ban whether or not they have previously served a 1-game ban for 5 cautions.

The 'deadline' for the 15 caution 3-game ban is the end of the season.

Edit: bugger!

Last edited:
Gwilliam, are we going to see more of your sarcastic persona seen in the John Pa(i)ntsil thread? It was brilliant!

Wrong way round I'd say - Glenfiddich is a far superior tipple.

But by the time you've necked the JD, your taste buds won't be able to distinguish the Glenfiddich.

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  513
2Liverpool512
3Aston Villa512
4Arsenal511
5Chelsea510
6Newcastle510
7Brighton59
8Nottm F59
9Fulham58