FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Southgate has all the tools ( intended ) to make England a dominant world class team. He just doesn't have a ****ing clue how to use them.

He's just a woke negative boring nodding dog to the FA
"Woke" being just thrown as a weird generic insult there. "Gammon".

On the plus side as we're out Southgate and the team can now say whatever they want about the human rights violations in Qatar.

oh, no? Oh.

From that list (everyone to score 30 or more goals for England) :

Kane (53 goals 17 pens)
Rooney (53 goals 7 pens)
Charlton (49 goals 3 pens)
Lineker (48 goals 4 pens)
Greaves (44 goals 0 pens)

Owen (40 goals 1 pen)
Lofthouse (30 goals 0 pens)
Shearer (30 goals 6 pens)
Finney (30 goals 3 pens)

Notwithstanding these are all time greats highlighted, the majority of these goals came in friendly games, with most of those in competitive competitions in the Home Nations Championship against the might of Wales, Northern Ireland and the Jocks (who at least were more of a challenge back in the day).

Kane does seem to be whatever the footballing equivalent of a flat track bully is, but in the rankings of England goalscorers in World Cup Knockout stages, he (3 goals) trails Lineker (6) and Hurst (4), ahead of Bobby Charlton (2), and arguably has the next WC to go at too,

Kane is a carbon copy of Rooney before him. Helps himself to shitloads of goals against rubbish but top class international defences shut him out with relative ease. I imagine whoever replaces him long term will be the same.

Plus 17 of his 53 goals have been penalties. By far the highest proportion of anyone in the top England scorers list.

From that list (everyone to score 30 or more goals for England) :

Kane (53 goals 17 pens)
Rooney (53 goals 7 pens)
Charlton (49 goals 3 pens)
Lineker (48 goals 4 pens)
Greaves (44 goals 0 pens)
Owen (40 goals 1 pen)
Lofthouse (30 goals 0 pens)
Shearer (30 goals 6 pens)
Finney (30 goals 3 pens)

The bloke is a massive ****ing fraud.

NB : Same goes for Rooney who needed FORTY more caps to reach the same total Kane currently has. ****ing chimp.
I do hate to be pedantic but it is worth looking at who Charlton and Lineker racked up goals against. The flat-trackbully narrative isn't quite a fair one.

Lineker is probably the most impressive, but he ran up plenty of numbers against the likes of Malaysia, US, Albania, New Zealand and Poland.

I agree that Kane is something of a fraud - but not the line of argument I'd take.

Edit - I now see the note above this one. Mine is redundant.

If you look at the goals to game ratio the best striker England have had is Jimmy Greaves, he really was very good.

If Kane had played like a poacher instead of a marauding billy big bollox forward, he would have had a few more goals on Saturday.
Callum Wilson would have bagged a few if Southgate had the gonads

‘Tis a term used by right wing ****wits and stupid ignorant ****s

Neither of which would be able to describe to you what it actually meant
Beautifully put.

I do hate to be pedantic but it is worth looking at who Charlton and Lineker racked up goals against. The flat-trackbully narrative isn't quite a fair one.

Lineker is probably the most impressive, but he ran up plenty of numbers against the likes of Malaysia, US, Albania, New Zealand and Poland.

I agree that Kane is something of a fraud - but not the line of argument I'd take.

Edit - I now see the note above this one. Mine is redundant.
You both seem to agree with me that in general terms he's pretty easily contained by the better international defences.
But the main point of my list was really to illustrate the massive penalty count contribution to his total.

Btw, he's also missed from the spot 4 times. Which is actually an England record, although I doubt he'd put it on his CV.

You both seem to agree with me that in general terms he's pretty easily contained by the better international defences.
But the main point of my list was really to illustrate the massive penalty count contribution to his total.

Btw, he's also missed from the spot 4 times. Which is actually an England record, although I doubt he'd put it on his CV.
Now there’s a stat I can get behind!

Well. I'm going to miss Modric. I used to watch a lot of La Liga & he was often the only pleasureable part of watching Real Madrid. Fabulous player. If his career hadn't run parallel to Messi's & Ronaldo's he'd have been cited as the best in the world by many.

Plus...if we remain unconvinced by Ward Brendan could do worse than make some enquiries in Zagreb. Best keeper in the tournament. Young but not too young, commanding, top class shot stopper, used to the play out bollocks etc...

Well. I'm going to miss Modric. I used to watch a lot of La Liga & he was often the only pleasureable part of watching Real Madrid. Fabulous player. If his career hadn't run parallel to Messi's & Ronaldo's he'd have been cited as the best in the world by many.

Plus...if we remain unconvinced by Ward Brendan could do worse than make some enquiries in Zagreb. Best keeper in the tournament. Young but not too young, commanding, top class shot stopper, used to the play out bollocks etc...

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/...news/leicester-city-offered-world-cup-7920810

“the 27-year-old was 'offered' to Leicester for a fee of between £4m and £9m, but they instead signed Alex Smithies on a free transfer”

Superb :038:

In other news my free bet on Croatia is now only worth £200. The £1320 for winning the thing would have been good news for the gas bill but hey ho, free money & all that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566