For those more anal.........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Granite Fox

It struck me that MM was right and all of the delays regarding the takeover have probably cost us a chance of the play-offs.

I thought i would be a little anal and do some analysis to see if he was right and this is what I found..

Before the MM takeover rumours really broke in the press (start of November) we had recovered from a bad start and were on the very fringes of play-off contention with 21 points from 15 matches.

The takeover lasted from November through to the end of January (mute point whether Luton at home was in or out of this). During this 3 month period we managed only 12 points from 15 matches (relegation form).

Since he has been unofficially at the helm we have garnered another 11 points from 5 matches.

So that is a total of 32 points from 20 matches before and after the takover uncertainty (average of 1.6 points per match) against 12 points from 15 matches during the period of uncertainty (0.8 points per match).

This period of uncertainty has arguably cost us 12 points. That would have given us 56 points - just 3 points off the play-offs with a game in hand over most.

It struck me that MM was right and all of the delays regarding the takeover have probably cost us a chance of the play-offs.

I thought i would be a little anal and do some analysis to see if he was right and this is what I found..

Before the MM takeover rumours really broke in the press (start of November) we had recovered from a bad start and were on the very fringes of play-off contention with 21 points from 15 matches.

The takeover lasted from November through to the end of January (mute point whether Luton at home was in or out of this). During this 3 month period we managed only 12 points from 15 matches (relegation form).

Since he has been unofficially at the helm we have garnered another 11 points from 5 matches.

So that is a total of 32 points from 20 matches before and after the takover uncertainty (average of 1.6 points per match) against 12 points from 15 matches during the period of uncertainty (0.8 points per match).

This period of uncertainty has arguably cost us 12 points. That would have given us 56 points - just 3 points off the play-offs with a game in hand over most.
good post!!!!!:038:

i wouldn't call that anal. i'd call it sad!! ;)

Hindsight is a wonderful thing though - you can only hazard guesses on what may have happened. If you look at it another way, we could have done even worse and been in the bottom three.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing though - you can only hazard guesses on what may have happened. If you look at it another way, we could have done even worse and been in the bottom three.

Yes you are right, we can't say what would have happened (Lies, damn lies and statistics and all of that), but there is a marked difference in performance.

Let's be brutally honest about it ... we are not good enough yet. Yes we've had a few good results of late but realistically we are not good enough to be in that top six

Whereas next season lets hope we are there or a little higher :icon_bigg ;)

For the first few games we were garbage, absolute horse shite in fact. We went on a mini good run and then we were shite again. Just before the MM rumour came along, we went on another mini good run and then reverted back to being shite again.

This coincided with the whole MM saga and gave some people the excuse they were craving.

Since MM has gained control we have seen a totally different club to anything we've seen for the past 3 seasons.

So, the delays have not cost us a play off spot, the fact that we have been shite up until 4 games ago cost us a play off spot

For the first few games we were garbage, absolute horse shite in fact. We went on a mini good run and then we were shite again. Just before the MM rumour came along, we went on another mini good run and then reverted back to being shite again.

This coincided with the whole MM saga and gave some people the excuse they were craving.

Since MM has gained control we have seen a totally different club to anything we've seen for the past 3 seasons.

So, the delays have not cost us a play off spot, the fact that we have been shite up until 4 games ago cost us a play off spot

or maybe the fact that we have several passionless players who couldnt give a toss about lcfc up until mm took over and now they want a bigger pay cheque and maybe a nice season in the prem have started to play better is the real reason.:102:

or maybe the fact that we have several passionless players who couldnt give a toss about lcfc up until mm took over and now they want a bigger pay cheque and maybe a nice season in the prem have started to play better is the real reason.:102:
Either way, I don't believe the MM saga is responsible for us missing the play offs, if anything it's reponsible for us avoiding relegation

Any rush into the play-offs would be bad for us in the long-run. We would become like Watford, relegated by December and building for the Championship in January. Take this as a season of consolidation, even an improvement from last term.

Any rush into the play-offs would be bad for us in the long-run. We would become like Watford, relegated by December and building for the Championship in January. Take this as a season of consolidation, even an improvement from last term.

I said the other day I would be more than happy finishing where we are right now.

I am sure that you are right and the direction he has brought to the club has had a really positive effect. I am also sure that the prolonged takeover would have had a negative effect on the club also (these things have affected businesses outside of football in a negative way also).

Sometimes a new owner and manager cannot turn things around - ask the 'appy 'ammers fans!

For us though, the future looks a lot brighter. Management and players know they have to deliver MM's expectations or they will be saying Bye Bye very quickly.

Bollox. If it's there grab it.

I'd rather spend a season in the prem and attempt to survive then rebuild with our millions than hang around in this league building a foundation hoping to go up.

Tosh

For us though, the future looks a lot brighter. Management and players know they have to deliver MM's expectations or they will be saying Bye Bye very quickly.
Indeed it does, and for once I'm excited about my club

I'd rather spend a season in the prem and attempt to survive then rebuild with our millions than hang around in this league building a foundation hoping to go up.

Tosh

I agree - it will give us all hope and the club lots of dosh to play with over the next 3 seasons. Aint gonna happen though (until next season anyway)

Tosh

Rubbish, there is no logic in that. We wouldnt survive, look at Crystal Palace and Watford for that logic. We go up next season with half a Premier side and have a chance of a long term success in the Premiership.

If we were to get promoted now, all the young prospects we got would be vastly out of their depth, any new manager or current sacked by October, it would cause more trouble than staying in this division. The Summer would be a mad scramble for decent players, we probably sign overflated prices and many players reject us because our long-term future looks crap.

Rubbish, there is no logic in that. We wouldnt survive, look at Crystal Palace and Watford for that logic. We go up next season with half a Premier side and have a chance of a long term success in the Premiership.

If we were to get promoted now, all the young prospects we got would be vastly out of their depth, any new manager or current sacked by October, it would cause more trouble than staying in this division. The Summer would be a mad scramble for decent players, we probably sign overflated prices and many players reject us because our long-term future looks crap.
Not even gonna argue this, you're talking like a cnut, the FA are welcome to you.

I can't agree with your view - if you have the chance, then take it and do the best you can to make it work. Where would City get the finances to match even one season in the Prem for rebuilding? I think MM is shrewd enough not to overspend and gamble too much on survival (can't remember him doing that at Pompey and most of us hoped and believed they would come down again).

Not even gonna argue this, you're talking like a cnut, the FA are welcome to you.

Well look at any club what has gone through the play-offs in the last five years.

WATFORD - Nearly Relegated, Difficult to see them promoted next season
WEST HAM - Great Season, nearly relegated, half of their current players have contract clauses to see them on the way somewhere else if relegated.
CRYSTAL PALACE - Relegated, no sign of them coming back up any sooner.
WOLVES - Relegated, only recently suggested going back up.
BIRMINGHAM - A few season in there, now back.

Now tell me that going up via the Play-Offs, is a good option in the long-term.

Now tell me that going up via the Play-Offs, is a good option in the long-term.
OK, I take it back. You are 100% correct, getting promoted via the play offs is very bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669