For those more anal.........

Status
Not open for further replies.
MM was right if the deal went through earlier we could have been fighting for play-offs but now its just about finishing high as possible in the league table so we can build on that for next season, if we can finish between 8-10 it could be a real boost for us next season to finish in the play-offs, with the teams that look like they are gonna come down for the Permiership, west ham, warford, charlton? wigan? they are strong teams if they can hold there players espically west ham who have money to spend so next season is going to be a really difficult season.

That's difficult to predict! We may never compete with the big 4 but we can compete with clubs the size of Wigan, Fulham, Bolton, 'Boro, Reading given some investment and good management thoughout the club. Leicester is one of the top 10 biggest cities so the potential is there (Bristol City & Rovers may also argue that too!)

Clubs of simular size to us will also be yo-yo clubs including those you have mentioned, yo-yo does not just mean 1 year up one year down. Apart from Bolton (who I feel are doing a bit of a Leicester with Big Sam like we did with MON, just making better decisions than we did) the rest of the clubs you mention are Yo-yo clubs. To be an 'established' prem team IMO you need to be there for well over five years and be able to continue performimg even when managers and players leave. But even saying that, take away Big Sam and make a dodgy appointment and Bolton could sink as quickly as we did.

Yeah I think I agree with you there, certainly on the fickleness(?) of football fans anyhow. I think we should be grateful that we are able to talk about the possibility of promotion at all. Four months ago we were not in a too dissimilar position to Leeds and look at what's happened to the two of us since. Lets be sensible and not greedy and hopefully we can enjoy the summers exciting transfer activity and then, hopefully, a full season next season in which we are able to compete with the best.

Another point of debate I'd like to throw in the ring is with Mandaric's managerial record. We'd most likely have any manager sacked in October of Premiership season, creating more disfuncition and probelms. Then the new manager would want his own players and etc.

Saying all this I'd love us to go on some incredible run with a fairy-tale ending. Certainly restore my faith in the club.

Last edited:
Another point of debate I'd like to throw in the ring is with Mandaric's managerial record. We'd most likely have any manager sacked in October of Premiership season, creating more disfuncition and probelms. Then the new manager would want his own players and etc.

Saying all this I'd love us to go on some incredible run with a fairy-tale ending. Certainly restore my faith in the club.

But I think you can say that about whenever we go up and the same as any club that gets promotion from any division too.

..........Mandaric's managerial record...........QUOTE]

I don’t know how anyone can comment on that when he has only ever been a chairman.

Clubs of simular size to us will also be yo-yo clubs including those you have mentioned, yo-yo does not just mean 1 year up one year down. Apart from Bolton (who I feel are doing a bit of a Leicester with Big Sam like we did with MON, just making better decisions than we did) the rest of the clubs you mention are Yo-yo clubs. To be an 'established' prem team IMO you need to be there for well over five years and be able to continue performimg even when managers and players leave. But even saying that, take away Big Sam and make a dodgy appointment and Bolton could sink as quickly as we did.

Peter Taylor was the words you were looking for!!

But the reason I believe my argument is this:

So we go up.

We go down but only thanks to an Alan Maybury own goal on the last day of the season. Regardless of any parachute payments or £50million, we still only be able to attract the same type of players which we can with MM's money alone. I believe we have enough with 9 million, that we can attract the very best of the surplus the Premiership has to offer. Players who cost any more than that wont want to come The Championship because of the quality of football.

I don't understand your thinking. if we can't attract better players than £9million would allow, how are we supposed to build a team to compete in the premiership, while being in the championship?

the truth is, there is only one way to build a premiership team, thats being in the premiership, with premiership money. a good manager and wise decisions are vital too of course.

I believe that even with milans money we will only be able to get Championship level players. so when ever we get promoted serious investment will be needed to turn us into a premiership team, with the gap getting bigger, that will harder the longer we wait.

Its not just about how much the player we can attract is valued at, its more important the type of player. If we can get some people on board who actually SEE the club as a Premiership team in a year or two then we're laughing. Far better a player with ambition than just any big money transfer.

I don't understand your thinking. if we can't attract better players than £9million would allow, how are we supposed to build a team to compete in the premiership, while being in the championship?

the truth is, there is only one way to build a premiership team, thats being in the premiership, with premiership money. a good manager and wise decisions are vital too of course.

I believe that even with milans money we will only be able to get Championship level players. so when ever we get promoted serious investment will be needed to turn us into a premiership team, with the gap getting bigger, that will harder the longer we wait.

Two situations

2007-08 Season in the Championship: Mandaric gives us £9 million to spend

2008-09 Season returning from the Premiership: We have £50 million to spend.

9 million should cover what's need to buy the best of the Premiership's surplus. If you think 9 million will only buy Championship players you're wrong. When's the last time you seen a £3million deal between Championships clubs?!?

When's the last time you seen a £3million deal between Championships clubs?!?

Coventry and birmingham for mcsheffery...end of aug 2006, Thanx ;)

Last edited:
Two situations

2007-08 Season in the Championship: Mandaric gives us £9 million to spend

2008-09 Season returning from the Premiership: We have £50 million to spend.

9 million should cover what's need to buy the best of the Premiership's surplus. If you think 9 million will only buy Championship players you're wrong. When's the last time you seen a £3million deal between Championships clubs?!?

When was the last time a premiership quality player signed for a championship club? nevermind 11 of them. and i don't mean players that have been there and couldn't cut it.

It's the budget what was quoted in the Press. I can only work off that. I believe that half of the players we get in the Summer will be freebies and loans with permament deals if successful.

How many premiership quality players will be available for free, and end up at a championship club? they will go to premiership clubs.

As a championship club with money we might be able to get a few decent players, but we will never be able to build a premiership team until we are in the premiership.

9 million should cover what's need to buy the best of the Premiership's surplus.

Do you really think we'll spend that much on players?

And if we do, we still have to pay them - and they'll want bigger wages than any of our current players.

If the budget is anything like that I'm sure the bulk of it will go on wages, not transfer fees.

Surely a realistic total to spend next year would be around the three million mark. You don't need much more than that to fashion a side capable on pushing for promotion, and after that you build on what you got.
Then again, i could be totally undercutting it

I don't think we should spend anything on transfer fees. Get as many freebies as poss and tempt them here with high wages, it's the only thing most of them understand.

I don't think we should spend anything on transfer fees. Get as many freebies as poss and tempt them here with high wages, it's the only thing most of them understand.

True, :eek: , but if we do pay a bit extra then everyone needs to make sure who ever does the buying, one of my worries with RK, doesn't buy monkeys. ;)

I agree with regards to the players maybe coming from the premiership older players or maybe fringe players.
I would like to think that maybe a couple foreign players could be brought in to spice up the team a bit.

I agree with regards to the players maybe coming from the premiership older players or maybe fringe players.
I would like to think that maybe a couple foreign players could be brought in to spice up the team a bit.

Plus they tend to be cheaper. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Liverpool615
2Manchester C  614
3Arsenal614
4Chelsea613
5Aston Villa512
6Fulham611
7Newcastle611
8Brighton69