For those more anal.........

Status
Not open for further replies.
i actually think we have the opportunity to shake our yoyo club image with the new regime. If we stayed up for a few seasons we would be more attractive to players than teams like wigan who have become a solid premier outfit upto now.

I agree in a way, but we will never be a 'big' club so are bound to go through the yo-yo stuff. We did what you are suggesting with MON, but look what a few bad decisions did.

Obviously we're not going to go up this season, so the argument is pointless.

But I like pointless arguments...

I can't believe people are saying they don't want us to get promoted this season.

The fact is the Premiership money is increasing massively next season. All the teams in the Premiership will be able to strengthen their team as a result, so in future it's going to much harder for promoted teams to stay up.
The only way to compete with the Premiership teams will be to go up and get some of the Premiership money. The longer we leave it, the bigger the gap will be, and the more difficult it will be to stay up.

The money MM will spend is a drop in the ocean compared to the money the teams in the Premiership will be getting - and they're starting from a stronger position. Even if we go up and come straight back down again we'll be in a stronger position than if we don't go up immediately - as long as the club is managed sensibly.

But the reason I believe my argument is this:

So we go up.

We go down but only thanks to an Alan Maybury own goal on the last day of the season. Regardless of any parachute payments or £50million, we still only be able to attract the same type of players which we can with MM's money alone. I believe we have enough with 9 million, that we can attract the very best of the surplus the Premiership has to offer. Players who cost any more than that wont want to come The Championship because of the quality of football.

We're not going up though, and how anyone even thinks it's possible is beyond me!

I disagree, but supposing you're right, we may as well go up anyway, and spend the Premiership money on paying off the Stadium loan.

Now that's not something I took into consideration. I just based my argument on the football pitch.

I suppose I was exaggerating in my statement of 'Going Up this season would see MASSIVE negative effects. Just cause more harm than good on the pitch and in terms of personnel playing or coaching.

Last edited:
It is possible. Just very very very unlikely.

Yeah, but this is Leicester City you're talking about! It won't happen! Infacgt I'd bet the deed of the house on us not going up!

Obviously we're not going to go up this season, so the argument is pointless.

But I like pointless arguments...

I can't believe people are saying they don't want us to get promoted this season.

The fact is the Premiership money is increasing massively next season. All the teams in the Premiership will be able to strengthen their team as a result, so in future it's going to much harder for promoted teams to stay up.
The only way to compete with the Premiership teams will be to go up and get some of the Premiership money. The longer we leave it, the bigger the gap will be, and the more difficult it will be to stay up.
The money MM will spend is a drop in the ocean compared to the money the teams in the Premiership will be getting - and they're starting from a stronger position. Even if we go up and come straight back down again we'll be in a stronger position than if we don't go up immediately - as long as the club is managed sensibly.

couldn't agree more

But the reason I believe my argument is this:

So we go up.

We go down but only thanks to an Alan Maybury own goal on the last day of the season. Regardless of any parachute payments or £50million, we still only be able to attract the same type of players which we can with MM's money alone. I believe we have enough with 9 million, that we can attract the very best of the surplus the Premiership has to offer. Players who cost any more than that wont want to come The Championship because of the quality of football.

I'd like to believe that. But £9Million is going to start looking like a pittance soon - it's already starting to this season.

If "Ifs and ands" were pots and pans there'd be no need for tinkers

we will never be a 'big' club so are bound to go through the yo-yo stuff.

That's difficult to predict! We may never compete with the big 4 but we can compete with clubs the size of Wigan, Fulham, Bolton, 'Boro, Reading given some investment and good management thoughout the club. Leicester is one of the top 10 biggest cities so the potential is there (Bristol City & Rovers may also argue that too!)

I agree with Hazzman.

IF we got promoted this season, and then spent next year in the relegation zone, would you all be thinking 'Well, I don't mind us being beaten week in week out, at least we are getting some cash in' - would you bollox!
It would be 'Manager out!', 'Milan out' etc. Believe me, I have experienced enough 'yo-yo' seasons and remember what they are like, money or no money!

To get relegated from the prem could begin the whole cycle again from PT's days.

Rather get a good solid side together in the next 14 months and go up with a team that can get up and stay up.

Last edited:
Rather get a good solid side together in the next 14 months and go up with a team that can get up and stay up.

What makes you think we'd be able to get up and stay up in 14 months?

All the Premiership teams will be £50 million richer, how is any team from this division going to compete? The sooner we go up, the easier it will be to stay there.

I agree with Hazzman.

IF we got promoted this season, and then spent next year in the relegation zone, would you all be thinking 'Well, I don't mind us being beaten week in week out, at least we are getting some cash in' - would you bollox!
It would be 'Manager out!', 'Milan out' etc. Believe me, I have experienced enough 'yo-yo' seasons and remember what they are like, money or no money!

To get relegated from the prem could begin the whole cycle again from PT's days.

Yeah I think I agree with you there, certainly on the fickleness(?) of football fans anyhow. I think we should be grateful that we are able to talk about the possibility of promotion at all. Four months ago we were not in a too dissimilar position to Leeds and look at what's happened to the two of us since. Lets be sensible and not greedy and hopefully we can enjoy the summers exciting transfer activity and then, hopefully, a full season next season in which we are able to compete with the best.

What makes you think we'd be able to get up and stay up in 14 months?

All the Premiership teams will be £50 million richer, how is any team from this division going to compete? The sooner we go up, the easier it will be to stay there.

My point exactly - the gap is going to get wider and wider - so promotion the sooner the better for me. If we could do it this year I would take it - but it isn't going to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669