How Are People Feeling Today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a myth that the Health and Safety Executive banned conkers. They get a lot of blame for stuff that's nothing to do with them.

Why do they call it a myth, then go on to confirm it as being true? Are they just saying "It wasn't us who banned it!"?

I think you should ask the kids at the school that have banned it whether it is a myth.

See jeff's reply above. Also from QI I believe that the school/headteacher that "banned" it did it as a stunt to try to make people aware of how over the top the Health and Safety in schools was becoming.

jeff's right and the HSE now have a myth of the month which shows which story from the Sun that month was incorrect in blaming them.

See jeff's reply above. Also from QI I believe that the school/headteacher that "banned" it did it as a stunt to try to make people aware of how over the top the Health and Safety in schools was becoming.

jeff's right and the HSE now have a myth of the month which shows which story from the Sun that month was incorrect in blaming them.

So, you agree that it isn't a myth that it was banned?

Hmm not entirely, I think the story goes that the headmaster simply made them wear protective googles and gloves to highlight the health and ssafety problem.

Thanks for clearing that up Lazzer.:icon_roll

What :102::icon_lol:

Its just conkers. You dont want a myth ? you wanna hit it full on,smash it ,hang out the back of it. They have actually been banned from my local school as they are a nut and they fear a child could suffer anaphylactic shock on contact.

Would you really want to watch a building burn while the fire brigade fight their way through the traffic when timely action could see the amount of damage minimised?
Did you know many ordinary materials such as nylon, wool and silk produce cyanide when they burn?
Would you seriously hang around breathing that in to save someone else's insured business from burning?

If there's a fire at our place, we are expected to remain in the building and check all the rooms to ensure that there's no-one hiding at the back/refusing to come out/playing the twat.

We are also expected to leave our office door unlocked where there is several thousand pounds worth of tech (possibly including my phone and laptop). The kids know this so it presents them with an ideal opportunity to help themselves.

After a poor showing on the egg front yesterday all my girls delivered again this morning.

Fresh eggs all-round for my lucky weekend visitors.

Did you know many ordinary materials such as nylon, wool and silk produce cyanide when they burn?

Do you work in an office decorated with many ordinary materials such as nylon, wool and silk?
Or did you just copy and paste that from some website?

Would you seriously hang around breathing that in to save someone else's insured business from burning?

I would certainly stay around to put out a small fire rather than see a workplace and business be put out of action with all ramifications that go with it. No wonder insurance premiums are rocketing if all people want to do is watch a small fire turn into a big one.

I feel rather nervous at the thought of DJing tomorrow night. That being said, by 7 pm I'll be on me third or fourth cider, so probably won't be feeling quite so nervous.

Do you work in an office decorated with many ordinary materials such as nylon, wool and silk?
Or did you just copy and paste that from some website?
No, I don't and no, I did not.
I used to be a fire warden and had all the fire extinguisher/smoke room/fire hose training back in the late 80s.

In recent years we've had all the extinguishers taken out of the building and everyone has been made to complete a CBT which was essentially a cartoon stick man raising the alarm on discovery of a fire, and then leaving the building by the nearest fire exit. All our fire signs have been changed to simply say...

In the event of a fire
1. Raise the alarm
2. Exit building
3. Go to assembly point

I am also an accredited Evac Chair trainer, as one of the people I manage is a wheelchair user. All the advice I've had from all the industry experts I've spoken to in the last 5 years or so re fire safety revolves around prevention and escape plans.

The most recent conversation I had with the fire inspectors who came to see my certificates and chair servicing records threw more light on the subject. They basically said that unless you had breathing apparatus on, you should never fight any fire in the workplace.

You cannot possibly be expected to know exactly what is burning, and the vital seconds you waste with an extinguisher could render you unconscious, or could be the seconds in which an explosive material goes bang. Smoke is the biggest killer in a fire and you need not to be around it.

Bear in mind I work for a blue chip company and this is the latest thinking. HSE are no longer responsible for fire safety in the workplace, it is local Fire and Rescue services domain which is probably behind the change (this bit is from a website... http://www.hse.gov.uk/fireandexplosion/workplace.htm#building).

Disclaimer: I am not an expert. Do your own research. If you fancy fighting fires like a wannabe hero fireman, be my guest.

No, I don't and no, I did not.
I used to be a fire warden
I am also an accredited Evac Chair trainer

Do you have an important looking hi-vis jacket and a cap with a shiny badge on it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Bournemouth00
2Arsenal00
3Aston Villa00
4Brentford00
5Brighton00
6Chelsea00
7Palace00
8Everton00