Ipswich 3 Leicester 0

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been through this thread and am amazed that Sven's wonderful quote isn't here (or perhaps it is and I missed it!).

When asked by the Sky reporter what he thought of the conditions he said, "We have a lot of snow in Sweden, but we don't play football, we ski on it."

Says it all, but with dignity. :038:

I have been through this thread and am amazed that Sven's wonderful quote isn't here (or perhaps it is and I missed it!).

When asked by the Sky reporter what he thought of the conditions he said, "We have a lot of snow in Sweden, but we don't play football, we ski on it."

Says it all, but with dignity. :038:

I mentioned it. Having later thought about it I think I did notice a few players take to a bout of skiing during the match.

What really riles me about yesterday's game was that if it were Manchester United, Chelsea etc the game would not have been allowed to continue beyond 20 minutes.

Can you honestly see Sir Alex or Carlo allowing 100's of millions of pounds worth of players play on an ice rink with careers at stake? Simple answer is no. So why then is it alright that Ipswich and Leicester can play on it?

Don't get me wrong I fully accept that Ipswich adapted to the conditions far better than we did and deserved to win but surely the least we deserved is to have a go and play on the match on grass. The result may not have been any different but surely the powers that be could have given us a fair crack? Sven has tried to mould us into a footballing team & what chance was there to do that in 3 inches of snow?

Finally, did the referee give any consideration to the additional chance of injury when he suspended play? You don't have to be a qualified fitness expert to know that most injuries occur when you stop activity, get cold and the muscles tighten. So not only did he make us play in a snow drift, he has contributed to us probably losing 4 key players to potentially long term muscle injuries!

However, like I said, Ipswich deserved to win the game of snowball.

What really riles me about yesterday's game was that if it were Manchester United, Chelsea etc the game would not have been allowed to continue beyond 20 minutes.

Can you honestly see Sir Alex or Carlo allowing 100's of millions of pounds worth of players play on an ice rink with careers at stake? Simple answer is no. So why then is it alright that Ipswich and Leicester can play on it?

I suspect if one of those teams were winning the game their manager would have wanted the game to go on, as Roy Keane wanted yesterday.

No it wouldn't have happened if Man U had been playing but Keane and Ipswich would have been set on playing for obvious reasons not least because they would know we're a bit of a soft touch away from home and probably not completely up for it - they got it right.

As for the ref - he got carried away because of the Sky dimension.

Not fair - but football like life isn't fair.

ipswich adapted better than us to the snow, but of course they may have trained in it whilst our weather has been more mild.

There was no hint of snow when we arrived in Ipswich, and there was no snow on the ground when the players were warming up for the game itself.

Sven got it wrong yesterday. Regardless of whether the game should or should not have gone ahead, it did. Our style does not suit those type of conditions, and if the hard wintry conditions are not going to go away, I just hope that Sven and the players have learnt their lessons.

I fully agree with Jimmy Lad's comments. I didn't see the second half, was the the break for clearing the lines on the pitch?
I just can't see Arsene Whinger prepared to risk is already precious players play in those conditions. Ultimately, we were not good enough and deserved nothing.

I Watched it in Copenhagen. when i asked the barman to put skysports 2 on so i could watch the leicester game he told me it had been cancelled and that they were showing ice hockey!!! I assured him it was on and low and behold he apologised when he realised it was indeed football.

All my opinions have already been stated by others. We need to forget about it and move on, 3pts required against dirty leeds.

If Sven had any sense whatsoever he would have told his players to slip and slide all over the place to force the cancellation.....

If Sven had any sense whatsoever he would have told his players to slip and slide all over the place to force the cancellation.....
It would have been gamesmanship but definitely my preferred tactic when clearly none of the players were up for any sort of football.

I said that during the game as well. I'd have asked 2 or 3 of them to do it as to not make anyone too suspicious.

It would have been gamesmanship but definitely my preferred tactic when clearly none of the players were up for any sort of football.

Really glad we didn't do that actually.

Me too.

It was Ispwich. A rearranged fixture in good conditions would have seen us losing by far more than just three goals.

I think we got away with this one.

Talksport are just having a discussion about how Attwell showed the way we should do things in keeping the game going.

Just watched the highlights on tv. That match should never have been played and certainly should have been stopped at half time. I don't think that we will have a problem with Leeds on our pitch.

I think Sven's right to make excuses for his men on this occasion, he's got to make sure no-one thinks we're jinxed away from home.

And the truth is that he got it wrong on this occasion. We all expected dire conditions and, in his own words, his game plan was to play passing football.

He's 62 and the early signs may well be good, but he's still got a thing or two to learn about the Championship.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669