Kevin Phillips

Status
Not open for further replies.
He did say at the start of the summer he wanted to leave Birmingham to get more appearences, and he left a Prem club for a Champ club last summer, so i dont think its that unlikely

It won't matter that he is 36, he knows what posistions to get into, and how to score goals. Intelligence (Claridge?) is always better than being able to run fast (Hammond?)

£750k does sound a lot, but less of a gamble than £2million on Cox would have been IMO. You know he can handle this level of football.

The fact that he was Birmingham's (a club just been promoted to the Premier League) top goalscorer last season with 13 goals, despite not playing much, shows that he is a great goalscorer. Can't believe people are turning their noses up at him - FFS at the minute we're going to be starting the season with a winger up front!

I think Phillips would be a real coup for the club but not sure why the Brummies would want to let him go.. perhaps to make some money on him while they can before he retires.. I'd be quite happy with getting him or Lita really. Ideally I think we could use another 2 forwards and a keeper anyway.

Kevin Phillips is the man, absolute goal scoring machine get him in, forget his age, year by year contract and 'jobs and good'un'

Phillips/Fryatt, Lita with N'Guessan just behind...........im gonna need new underwear.

If we could use any combination in a game of 2/3 from Fryatt, Howard, Phillips, Lita and N'Guessan, I think we could outfox most defences. Those 5 could represent a serious strikeforce.

Seems odd that Phillips would choose to come here when is main gripe at Birmingham is to not playing that much and the squad rotation,is he not going to get the same problem here only in a Division lower ?

Seems odd that Phillips would choose to come here when is main gripe at Birmingham is to not playing that much and the squad rotation,is he not going to get the same problem here only in a Division lower ?
no

Well he would clearly be our best striker so....

He would be an ok signing but I'd sooner have a younger striker with a few more years left him in.I can't see Phillips coming here unless he's assured that he will be first choice and like you say perhaps he might be

yeah we need min 1 striker, ideally 2 new strikers.

I am in 2 minds about this, our current spending indicates we dont have much of a budget. 750k for a 36 year old is baffling to say the least and we will keep going down the road of overpaying for players and its clearly a gamble but as others have said most signings are a gamble such as dj campbell.

phillips last 2 seasons has done well but remember the decline that ends careers is often sudden so last year may have been his last good season we dont know yet and also as someone else said any half serious injury will probably end his career. However I do remember les in the premiership and that proved to be a cracking signing but the difference was he was a free transfer with only the wage outlay.

My thoughts are if we get lita then get phillips as well, also if we cannot get any proven championship striker then taking the gamble on phillips is a no brainer. I think its become obvious now we not going to be getting a proven under 30 striker that currently has a club.

If NP thinks he is worth it and gives him full fitness test etc (if Milan allows that to happen first ;-) ), then bring him in. It is a gamble, but not too much of one in my opinion

I would guess Phillips is a back up plan if Lita chooses to go elsewhere,be amazed if they both came here

Last edited:
I don't think that MM is minded to splash the cash anymore and 75K or an 'undisclosed' fee looks more viable to me with Phillips having the benefit of big wages and a two years contract.

Birmingham seem adept at ripping off Leicester i.e. DJ and the invalid that this Clemence and tho' I wouldn't know whether Phillips is a serious target, I can't see that what is to Leicester these days big money would be splashed on a player who is playing on beyond the normal shelf life.

I don't think that MM is minded to splash the cash anymore and 75K or an 'undisclosed' fee looks more viable to me with Phillips having the benefit of big wages and a two years contract.

Birmingham seem adept at ripping off Leicester i.e. DJ and the invalid that this Clemence and tho' I wouldn't know whether Phillips is a serious target, I can't see that what is to Leicester these days big money would be splashed on a player who is playing on beyond the normal shelf life.

Don't forget N'Gotty! God knows how much we wasted on his wages....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566