Post Match Leicester 0 Reading 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nugent must be wondering what he's got to do to score - he's been so unlucky in the past two league games. If luck was on his side he'd have two goals to his name by now, which would be impressive seeing how isolated he's been over the last two league games.

I too thought Pantsil played well. He didn't offer much going forward, but neither did anyone else. He defended well and had to cover Mills a fair bit of the time.

Mills is a worry. At times he looked intimidated, and I never think it a good idea to give the captaincy to a brand new Player, it takes a while to earn the respect of the other players and see their foibles.

Like everyone else I was disappointed, but I thought that Reading played very well and played on the break with a cohesion that we lacked. They knew where each other would go, while when we did get the ball there seemed no clear plan.

What worried me most was the lack of attacking threat. Nugent was off the pace and won very few headers. Indeed in the air we were woeful generally. If we are going to play 451 then we need Gallagher/Dyer and King on the pitch. All score from midfield, Abe (who looked jet lagged) Fernandes and Wellens all ply more defensively so do not combine well. Playing Schlupp and Waghorn on the wing didn't work.

It's early in the season and the transfer window is still open. Best not get on the back of the team yet, they can sort it out.

L1 singing "we're going to buy the league!" was massively misjudged, it sent the wrong message to both teams. Even worse than the Afro Kareoke, I do not want live music at the match particularly via an inadequate PA system. Pretty dancing girls are more welcome.

We lost today because of the way we were set up. I didn't think Reading were particularly good and I'm sure a more positive set up would have seen us win the game. When Eriksson changed things around towards the end of the first half we improved, but we still didn't look that much of a danger going forward.

It's difficult to know which formation we should go out with. I don't think we have the wide forward players for a 4-3-3, and neither Pantsil or Konchesky impress me bombing forward from their full back positions. And a 4-4-2 looks difficult, again because of a dearth of creative wide men. Regardless of the way we set up our movement going forward was almost non-existent. I was frustrated by this very problem last season and based on our first 2 league games, it hasn't been rectified.

A lot of our passing was loose to say the least, especially in the first half, and a couple of times I spotted players bickering off the ball. Perhaps that's part of the process of the players learning each other's games. Whatever the reason, we can't afford to go on that way for very long. On a more positive note, the first quarter of an hour or so after half-time was quite promising.

Closest to my view - except that I thought Reading were pretty useful and deserve credit.

not much to say other than what was sven thinking when buying mills?

reading fans warned he cant pass and they have been proven right, does sven want us to pass it or hoof it? as its looking like he didnt do his homework on mills.

we were better when king came on as well. too many players couldnt pass. back to pre sousa days on passing ability?

Last edited:
Nugent must be wondering what he's got to do to score - he's been so unlucky in the past two league games. If luck was on his side he'd have two goals to his name by now, which would be impressive seeing how isolated he's been over the last two league games.

yet we were scoring plenty of goals last season, whats sven broken?

I do not want live music at the match particularly via an inadequate PA system.

I emailed the club about this. The speakers, particularly in SK4 sounded really muffled yesterday, not as crisp and clear as they should be.

I would argue that a professional is able to be more professional and take advice from someone who is seeing more of the game than them.

Maybe if he had a quiet word....but shouting across the pitch at the top of your voice will soon wear thin.

As Bob Hazell says it wound up his Leeds team-mates last year and eventually the fans.

Last edited:
Maybe if he had a quiet word....but shouting across the pitch at the top of your voice will soon wear thin.

As Bob Hazell says it wound up his Leeds team-mates last year and eventually the fans.
I never like to see a goalkeeper getting too involved with tactics. Give a defender a bollocking if they drop off, yes, ensure everyone's in place at set pieces, yes, but motivating and organising is the manager/captain role.

But then what do you expect from a bottom half team playing against play-off candidates.....

Come on now ,a very poor start yes but what this booing about ?,are we sure they were true supporters bloody hell we arnt going to win every game,for gods sake dont get on there backs after 2 games ,they know they could have done better,let them play a few games together before we start getting on there backs ,its early doors yet,once we have that Striker is in place we so badly need it will be a different team.COME YOU FOXES

Come on now ,a very poor start yes but what this booing about ?,are we sure they were true supporters bloody hell we arnt going to win every game,for gods sake dont get on there backs after 2 games ,they know they could have done better,let them play a few games together before we start getting on there backs ,its early doors yet,once we have that Striker is in place we so badly need it will be a different team.COME YOU FOXES
there profeshunals n there doin shit propa fanz shud boo cuz we pays all dat muni init

I think a few people are getting carried away here, it's only one game against a fairly decent side. It was a bad day at the office, we need to put it to one side and move on. If we win against Bristol and Forest - both very winnable games at the minute IMO - people won't even remember this game.

Hitting the post twice (with non-deflected shots) isn't being unlucky. It's poor finishing.

Not that I'm having a go at Nugent as a player isn't going to score with every shot and he has had poor service, but I always find it strange when people call hitting the woodwork (with a non-deflected shot) "unlucky," when in fact it's just the player messing up his shot and not getting his shot in the right place.

Last edited:
Hitting the post twice (with non-deflected shots) isn't being unlucky. It's poor finishing.

I see your point, he probably could have done a bit better with his chance against Reading but with both chances we're talking inches away from going in - especially the chance at Cov. Good finishing is obviously paramount - and I think Nugent is generally a good finisher - but I do feel you need that rub of the green sometimes.

I booed because his singing was awaful. Absolutely ruined the Bonjovi song. Why did we have to listen to the threesome who sang some old Frank Sinatra songs?!

Yes Pen we would both like to have some new Frank Sinatra songs but since he died in 1998 this seems unlikely. At the Real Madrid match we had some Puccini from the 1920s and I am sure Pen you would agree that old was quite superb.

We cannot send out a team at home against a side who will play on the break with only one or two attack minded players. It is simply not going to be enough to score the goals we need. The decision is between three or four attack focused players, not any fewer.

We started out as though we were scared of them, playing a rigid 4-5-1. We were inviting them to outplay us, which they proceeded to do for the whole of the first half. Sven finally did something about this after half an hour and tried to get the diamond in midfield with two up front but Schlupp hadn't a clue what was expected of him.

Second half started much better because we had three attack minded players, Nugent, Schlupp and King. We had a spell of dominance and were unfortunate to go behind when we did. But again, if you go behind with few attacking options, it's virtually game over.

People have said plenty about the nightmare appearance from Mills but I want to single out Danns. I thought he was poor against Madrid, he just doesn't seem to fit with the other players and makes the team look wrong. Today, he was awful. If he was a kid, I'd cut him some slack but he's been around long enough to know better. How he is getting into the side ahead of King or Gallagher or Dyer is totally beyond me.

We desperately need a striker with speed and presence. I think that player is Maynard and we should do whatever it takes to get him in quickly. Quite apart from that, the team selected on Wednesday and the approach taken will show us all whether we're justified about being excited about this season.

I absolutely agree with all of the above apart from the bit about Neil Danns. I suppose we all have our 'bête noire' (no pun) but I have always been impressed with him when he has played against us. I don't think you can fault him for effort and ability. He's playing no worse than any of our other midfielders. Maybe it's the formation and tactics that are wrong.

I emailed the club about this. The speakers, particularly in SK4 sounded really muffled yesterday, not as crisp and clear as they should be.

They were the same in A1 as well. Also, I was in the gents bogs when the ex-Factor geezer was singing. He was so out of tune I had to get out of there without shaking the drops off.....

Overall yesterday, I felt we were humbled if not exactly humiliated.

Money can buy you a football club, a stadium, a great manager and quality players but it can't buy you a team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669