Post Match Leicester 0 Stoke 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cant fathom Pearson. He seems to be getting back on track then makes disastrous mistakes like yesterday's team selection. Of course he was limited for choices in midfield but he seems to have willfully gone with seriously bad choices in attack.

Perhaps he thought Stoke would prepare for the game assuming we'd play our best forwards. Try and catch them out by playing forwards who can't score or do much else...they won't have seen that coming.

Have to say was shocked by the starting XI and can only hope that Pearsons choices were due to fitness and fatigue within squad rather than tactical, baffled by the decision to drop Albrighton and start with Nugent and Vardy. Opportunity lost and definitely a bad day at the office for Big Nige!!!

It was interesting to see how fit the Spurs players were again yesterday. Their pre-season was heavily criticised from some of their players but it's sure paying off now. So many late winners and equalisers and the energy to press up the field throughout the ninety minutes. Also, look at Chelsea and the high energy approach they use throughout the match, unless they've took their foot off the gas with the points already in the bag. It's an approach that really stood us in good stead in the late nineties under MON. We out-worked so many technically superior teams.

Look at us this season in contrast. How many of our players are puffing before the first half is done, let alone late in the match? I can't think of any non-defender in our squad that is capable for giving a full-on ninety minutes. Nugent, Vardy, Schlupp, Knockaert, Mahrez, Ulloa, Drinkwater, King, James, Cambiasso, Hammond - all usually look shagged out far too early in matches.

We have miserably under-prepared for this season in numerous aspects but to not be at least as fit as the opposition is criminal. We faded alarmingly yesterday because our front six were all knackered.

It has been notable throughout NPs tenure that unless players are in the side week in, week out, they're not fit. That's why we struggle to change the side effectively as subs and reserves are nowhere near match fit. I thought this was because we went without a reserve team but it isn't.

The fitness required in the Premier League is much higher than the Championship, despite fewer matches.

Last edited:
I'm all for reducing the away allocation. We must give out the most in the Premier League and consistently have the piss taken out of us. Leicester was swamped with those aliens called Stoke fans yesterday.

It was interesting to see how fit the Spurs players were again yesterday. Their pre-season was heavily criticised from some of their players but it's sure paying off now. So many late winners and equalisers and the energy to press up the field throughout the ninety minutes. Also, look at Chelsea and the high energy approach they use throughout the match, unless they've took their foot off the gas with the points already in the bag. It's an approach that really stood us in good stead in the late nineties under MON. We out-worked so many technically superior teams.

Look at us this season in contrast. How many of our players are puffing before the first half is done, let alone late in the match? I can't think of any non-defender in our squad that is capable for giving a full-on ninety minutes. Nugent, Vardy, Schlupp, Knockaert, Mahrez, Ulloa, Drinkwater, King, James, Cambiasso, Hammond - all usually look shagged out far too early in matches.

We have miserably under-prepared for this season in numerous aspects but to not be at least as fit as the opposition is criminal. We faded alarmingly yesterday because our front six were all knackered.

It has been notable throughout NPs tenure that unless players are in the side week in, week out, they're not fit. That's why we struggle to change the side effectively as subs and reserves are nowhere near match fit. I thought this was because we went without a reserve team but it isn't.

The fitness required in the Premier League is much higher than the Championship, despite fewer matches.
This is spot on. Look at how many times Spurs have won the game at the death this season. Poccetino was the same at Southampton, always had that extra energy to see out matches.

We've often lost ours in the last third of the match

We have had less possession in every game and the players are chasing down constantly so they have nothing left in the last third of the game.

Possibly explains the higher number of injuries as well.

Have to say I'm surprised as I thought the club were advanced at this fitness and sports science stuff.

Next 6 PL matches:

Man Utd (a)
Palace (h)
Arsenal (a)
Everton (a)
Chelsea (h)
Man City (a)

Could well be all but down in six matches if we play anywhere like we did today.

Next 6 PL matches:

Man Utd (a)
Palace (h)
Arsenal (a)
Everton (a)
Chelsea (h)
Man City (a)

Could well be all but down in six matches if we play anywhere like we did today.

If we play like we did in the previous 3 league games ,we may be mid table, but hey let's all be negative!!!

This match will be seen to be a pivotal moment in our season. A win would have done wonders for confidence and a real belief in our ability to survive.

The defeat has clearly knocked the stuffing out of forum members, fans and players alike. I'm normally very positive and optimistic but I can't see us staying up now. A real air of despair and despondency has descended on this thread.

If we play like we did in the previous 3 league games ,we may be mid table, but hey let's all be negative!!!

I think on the scale of pessimistic to 'head in the sand' optimistic, it was a pretty neutral statement.

The table doesn't lie. Our performances haven't been good enough, and we've got a very tough run coming up.

But hey, if Kramaric scores 15 goals in the next six matches, we may well be mid table.

I´m still positive about our survival chances.
Albrighton (MOTM v Villa) may have been struggling with a small injury or maybe a fitness issue and therefore wasn´t in the starting eleven.
Kramaric looked to be class and I´m sure that he will produce goals, particularly when the other players get acquainted with his positional play and other strengths.
We have just been on an exceptional run and ONE defeat shouldn´t really change that.
Other teams around us also failed to gain points yesterday, so it could have been a lot worse.
The team (and the fans!), should now pick themselves up, dust themselves off and look forward to the next match, hoping that some of our midfielders, currently injured, will soon be fit again.
James will be back next match I gather.
Onwards and UPWARDS.......COYB:038::023:

I´m still positive about our survival chances.
Albrighton (MOTM v Villa) may have been struggling with a small injury or maybe a fitness issue and therefore wasn´t in the starting eleven.
Kramaric looked to be class and I´m sure that he will produce goals, particularly when the other players get acquainted with his positional play and other strengths.
We have just been on an exceptional run and ONE defeat shouldn´t really change that.
Other teams around us also failed to gain points yesterday, so it could have been a lot worse.
The team (and the fans!), should now pick themselves up, dust themselves off and look forward to the next match, hoping that some of our midfielders, currently injured, will soon be fit again.
James will be back next match I gather.
Onwards and UPWARDS.......COYB:038::023:
He will be out for the two next games (Spurs and ManU)

Next 6 PL matches:

Man Utd (a)
Palace (h)
Arsenal (a)
Everton (a)
Chelsea (h)
Man City (a)

Some chump on the radio yesterday was saying we've got much harder games than the rest for the rest of the season. I guess they must only play some teams once.

Some chump on the radio yesterday was saying we've got much harder games than the rest for the rest of the season. I guess they must only play some teams once.
They may have meant that their hard away games have already been played.

Look we've had a a good run of winning 3 out of 4 in all competitions. We've now narrowly lost against stoke with an awful performance.

Yes we're still last but given the length and lack of winning in our awful run earlier this season, it's not surprising we're still last.

People can say whatever they want but every game is winnable. Sunderland did it last season and so can we. They beat some huge teams during their escape. One win and we're up 3 or 4 places.

We drew against Arsenal, Everton, beat Man Utd and very narrowly lost against Chelsea and Man City (both performances were excellent). Burnley have already drawn against Man City so why can't we?

I admit it's a tough run but why are so many sulking and already giving the points away?

You never know how we will play or the result. I quite fancy us against Everton and Arsenal. Man City Chelsea and United have every chance of losing against us!!!

We're shagged chaps, that game yesterday was supposed to be us with confidence, not a game to give us confidence.

We are not good enough for this league, Championship players on secondment to the Prem for a season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669