Leicester 1 - WBA 4 (Cup)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Allowing for the following:
I don't go to many games as I have a young family and cant go as much as I used to
I don't listen to the radio commentary as I don't enjoy it

It particularly annoyed me when I kept hearing references to how many changes WBA had made from their team on Saturday, without any reference to the fact that we'd also changed most of our team from the weekend. I'm not pretending to know anything about how tonight's game might have gone, but it seems pretty obvious that their "2nd team" would beat our "2nd team" and yet the lack of reference to our changes made it seem like they were playing their ressies against our 1st team

His goals/appearances record speaks for itself as our supposedly number one striker.

Fryatt (24)
2009 Championship, 12/27
2008 League 1, 27/46
2007 Championship, 2/21
2006 Champioship, 3/21

Good in League 1, not good in the Championship.

Interesting.

Well...2006 & 2007 he was playing in a side where nobody scored goals.Yes the League 1 season was brilliant for him but 12/27 last year in a season cut short by serious injury still equates to very nearly a 2:1 strike rate which is a top class strikers average.
Plus at 24 he's still a developing player.Add to that the fact that he's still not fully fit in my opinion & i still have hope.
Basically we need a striker who can hit the target as a matter of urgency.If we get one in then Fryatt will start scoring too IMO.
Then we have a chance to achieve something this season.
Tonight was a prime example.We CREATED chances,couldnt put them away (the Leicester disease since the early 90s really) this is our major problem.
Leeds should have been put away after half an hour last week,instead we ended up in a position where a late blunder could have gifted them a point they clearly wouldn't have deserved.Contrast that with the way Cardiff buried them last night & you have a working comparison.

Striker please Sven...we're waiting.

Allowing for the following:
I don't go to many games as I have a young family and cant go as much as I used to
I don't listen to the radio commentary as I don't enjoy it

It particularly annoyed me when I kept hearing references to how many changes WBA had made from their team on Saturday, without any reference to the fact that we'd also changed most of our team from the weekend. I'm not pretending to know anything about how tonight's game might have gone, but it seems pretty obvious that their "2nd team" would beat our "2nd team" and yet the lack of reference to our changes made it seem like they were playing their ressies against our 1st team

I am also absolutely leathered so apologies if this doesn't make sense, please just ask me for clarification tomorrow

Does anyone seriously care about losing this? I honestly couldn't care less and it's obvious that Sven doesn't either, seeing as he put out the weakest side he could get away with.

If we end up winning the playoffs or getting automatically promoted at the end of the season do you think anyone will care about losing to West Brom? It was never a competition we were ever going to win, so I really don't care about our performance in it.

If I could be bothered, I would phone up BBC Radio Leicester and ask them who on Earth are these morons texting and phoning into their show.

These people are surely sad, bored Coventry fans.

"We need a new team."

"Why did we get rid of Sousa."

Totally f*cking ridiculous.

We were saying the same thing on the way home, it was a repeat of where we were sitting in the West stand, surrounded by mongs going on about us being better under Sousa.....

I'm more pissed off at the L1/2ers who had to find a new home for this match. Right load of fecking drunken knob-heads moaning about how eveyone should get behind the team and sing etc but then disappearing several times during each half for booze, wee's, crafty fags or whatever.

Wasn't me!

Best throw-in since Jamie Lawrence at Elland Road many years back.

I thought it was Neil Lewis? I was at that game as well.....

How do you know they were from L1? and where the feck is L2? I sit in L1 and was more pissed off with having to sit near the little ***** from the fosseboys. I thought they were for creating an atmosphere. When did singing songs saying you carry hatchets ever get the crowd going? maybe in the 70's. Never had to endure them before and I hope I don't again.

SSSSSHHHHH!!! You aren't allowed to diss the only set of fans who stand and sing...

Disappointing result, obviously.

We had our chances in the first half, but failed to convert them. Howard and Gallagher mostly at fault there.

Shame Dyer had to be substituted. With him we lost our main threat going forward. IF... IF Fryatt had actually managed to shoot directly twice instead of fondling with the ball in the second half upon his substitution, we MIGHT have gotten something out of it.

But THAT goalkeeper error shall haunt Conrad Logan for a long time to come. For the amount of years he's been at the club (probably the longest-serving member of them all, if I'm not mistaken), that was plain silly. Granted, even Van Der Sar has a bad day occasionally, but I thought Logan had improved a little over the years and was expecting a little bit more dominance in the box and consistency.

Yet, you're not good enough. Sven ought to look for a replacement in January, and Conrad should seek a loan move.

After the second goal from the Baggies, I gather we simply stopped playing. Which is a shame, given the fact that a lot of so-called "fringe players" had a great opportunity to shine. Most of them failed, besides Logan notably Lamey, Morrison, Gallagher. And Berner was found out a little too often - is it the age or the newly-born kid that has him play with less focus?

On the positive side, Moussa appears to turn into a real gem at a bargain price. Versatile and currently really enjoying his time under Sven. And I think Abe didn't play too badly, either.

HOWEVER, again no goal from a set-piece... More than one hundred opportunities and still counting. And no - that's no joke. This is a really, really bad record.

At the moment, we're as much an attacking threat as are my grandma's dentures in a glass of water.

Last edited:
I am a miserablist.

It certainly wasn't a shambles.

Whatever team got the luck of the second goal were bound to win due to the pattern of the game. Once, one side opened up the chances came in and with West Brom possessing a better ability of player they were clinical (their starting eleven tonight was not far off the team we played on Good Friday).

Abe and Moussa provided themselves more than competent bar that throw-in. In Moussa, we possess a central midfielder who actually beat a man. Vitor too won his physical battle but collectively the back four struggled with the WBAs front pairs movement. Lamey will be lucky to put in another shift for City, Gally does himself no favours.

I'd agree with this - it all hinged on the 2nd goal. Spot on about Abe and Moussa, too

Would somebody please enlighten me as to the Abe throw in?

I am a miserablist.

It certainly wasn't a shambles.

Whatever team got the luck of the second goal were bound to win due to the pattern of the game. Once, one side opened up the chances came in and with West Brom possessing a better ability of player they were clinical (their starting eleven tonight was not far off the team we played on Good Friday).

Abe and Moussa provided themselves more than competent bar that throw-in. In Moussa, we possess a central midfielder who actually beat a man. Vitor too won his physical battle but collectively the back four struggled with the WBAs front pairs movement. Lamey will be lucky to put in another shift for City, Gally does himself no favours.

I'd agree with this - it all hinged on the 2nd goal. Spot on about Abe and Moussa, too

I could stomach this result, but for the lumpheads who barracked Conrad after that goal - shades of McGivern there, totally counterproductive. The inability to finish anything off when we were on top in the 1st half, and still the concerns about overall match fitness made the last 30 minutes painful to watch.

Saw glimpses of why Abe and Vitor may contribute something yet.

12/27 is a reasonable strike rate. If he plays all season that's 20 goals, which is a decent target for any striker. Or should we be expecting 50?!

I was arguing Fryatt's case last night with a **** next to me and when I pointed out he scored 12 last season he actually argued that he didn't score any that counted, because 6 were in the cup, 2 were penalties, some more were easy tap-ins that "I could have scored". At that point I just looked him in the eye and turned away. You'll never win against idiots.

The guy sat on my other side was slating Berner every time he touched the ball. If he had a man on him and put it into touch, it was wrong. If he pass the ball to Gallagher and he failed to come to meet it, it was Berner's fault. Honestly, do all this twats only come out for cup games?

Oh, and add to that the justification of their *******ness with the sentence "I've been a fan since [insert suitably old year]", anyone who utters this line as justification for their opinion should be beaten. With a stick.

Last edited:
I was arguing Fryatt's case last night with a **** next to me and when I pointed out he scored 12 last season he actually argued that he didn't score any that counted, because 6 were in the cup, 2 were penalties, some more were easy tap-ins that "I could have scored". At that point I just looked him in the eye and turned away. You'll never win against idiots.

The guy sat on my other side was slating Berner every time he touched the ball. If he had a man on him and put it into touch, it was wrong. If he pass the ball to Gallagher and he failed to come to meet it, it was Berner's fault. Honestly, do all this twats only come out for cup games?

Oh, and add to that the justification of their *******ness with the sentence "I've been a fan since [insert suitably old year]", anyone who utters this line as justification for their opinion should be beaten. With a stick.

Berner looked poor last night, started to see why Sven had signed a left back. Looked really slow. He didn't get much help from Gally though.

Fryatt didn't look interested to me, didn't work hard. I like the guy but i'd have thought if you come on as sub for 25 minutes you'd work as hard as possible to try and make sure you weren't sub the next game.

Last edited:
Berner looked poor last night, started to see why Sven had signed a left back. He didn't get much help from Gally though.

Understatement of the year - he was absolutely hung out to dry

I suspect naughty Uncle Sven learnt quite a bit last night - hopefully not quite enough to make him walk away altogether

West Brom fans can **** off with that 'this is a shithole' song every bunch of witty supporters do.

Let's face facts West Bromwich is a shithole. It struggles to even have the history of Leicester as well as a better than average city centre. So, **** off Baggies you get my tits with your 'poor me' Premiership act and we're too good for you Championship act.

West Brom fans can **** off with that 'this is a shithole' song every bunch of witty supporters do.

Let's face facts West Bromwich is a shithole. It struggles to even have the history of Leicester as well as a better than average city centre. So, **** off Baggies you get my tits with your 'poor me' Premiership act and we're too good for you Championship act.
For me the worst thing was the reception they gave that murderer.

Would somebody please enlighten me as to the Abe throw in?
He basically did a bow whilst throwing the ball

Anyway my thoughts on last night (sorry if other people have already made similar points, but if you really think I'm gonna read through all that your barking!)

I felt ultimately we approached the game in completely the wrong manner last night. One up front for a cup tie? Whats the point, we should have just gone for it. Wouldn't have minded losing 4-1 if we had actually made a go of it. What really annoyed me was that they didn't have to work for that win. All the goals just fell for them-the first bounced to Cox, the second Logan dropped, the third no-one was marking Reid and the fourth, well I think Lamey just fancied being credited with an assist.

I also felt Abe showed he has definitely got some promise last night-I think his problem is a complete lack of fitness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669