Leicester 1 - WBA 4 (Cup)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If only Harry Hill did a football burp show.

I was disappointed to find I was going to miss a home game. It was on at the same time as An Evening With Jimmy Greaves which I had already bought tickets for. Jimmy was very interesting and very funny it. From what I read it seems I was better off there than at the Walkers.

I haven't read every single post, and was out tonight. But it sounds like a good game to confirm a few opinions about certain players. And I'm sure Sven will have used it to the same effect.

They're flying high in the Prem, we are scraping about hopelessly at the bottom of the Championship

So not in the least bit shocking, really - actually quite predictable
We were playing a reserve side, near enough, against a team in a European spot, 35 places above us. You'd have been the sunniest of optimists to really think we'd get anything other than a severe tonking.

I was disappointed to find I was going to miss a home game. It was on at the same time as An Evening With Jimmy Greaves which I had already bought tickets for. Jimmy was very interesting and very funny it. From what I read it seems I was better off there than at the Walkers.

Was he on at the Kings Lock Tea Rooms?

Just got back. Shocking to hear that our own fans jeered Logan. The guy made a mistake, probably the first serious error he made in a couple of years. Do we jeer Fryatt, Howard, Waghorn, Gallagher, King etc when they miss an open goal/easy chance from a few yards out?

The game turned when we failed to score two or three times in the first half when we were exerting a lot of pressure. Their first goal was well taken but well against the run of play.

They always looked more skillful, faster and more accurate with their passing. Barnes on their right wing was immense for them. Rang rings around us.

On the plus side, Abe had a good game. Kept possession, passed it around the midfield to let players move. Moussa was good with longer runs and some good link-up play with Howard who won lots but gobbed off to the lino to get a yellow card. Great to have Dyer back though he quickly ran out of steam and/or aggravated an injury. Vitor was a rock at the back and if we cannot keep Davies, he is the partner for Hobbs.

Fryatt was a waste of space and had one shot/pass to their goalie. Abe's was struck with much more power. If Derby want Fryatt, I will happily drive him personally up the A6.

I thought Moussa did well in the central midfield role but was less efective when he went wide after Dyer went off

Abe did ok

Thought Vitor put forward a case for a starting position

While Lamey put forward a case for one way ticket out of the UK, Cox scoring the 4th was a fantastic shot, but it was a woeful clearance by Lamey

Just got back. Shocking to hear that our own fans jeered Logan. The guy made a mistake, probably the first serious error he made in a couple of years. Do we jeer Fryatt, Howard, Waghorn, Gallagher, King etc when they miss an open goal/easy chance from a few yards out?

The game turned when we failed to score two or three times in the first half when we were exerting a lot of pressure. Their first goal was well taken but well against the run of play.

They always looked more skillful, faster and more accurate with their passing. Barnes on their right wing was immense for them. Rang rings around us.

On the plus side, Abe had a good game. Kept possession, passed it around the midfield to let players move. Moussa was good with longer runs and some good link-up play with Howard who won lots but gobbed off to the lino to get a yellow card. Great to have Dyer back though he quickly ran out of steam and/or aggravated an injury. Vitor was a rock at the back and if we cannot keep Davies, he is the partner for Hobbs.

Fryatt was a waste of space and had one shot/pass to their goalie. Abe's was struck with much more power. If Derby want Fryatt, I will happily drive him personally up the A6.

I agree with all of that:beer:

I'm more pissed off at the L1/2ers who had to find a new home for this match. Right load of fecking drunken knob-heads moaning about how eveyone should get behind the team and sing etc but then disappearing several times during each half for booze, wee's, crafty fags or whatever.

How do you know they were from L1? and where the feck is L2? I sit in L1 and was more pissed off with having to sit near the little ***** from the fosseboys. I thought they were for creating an atmosphere. When did singing songs saying you carry hatchets ever get the crowd going? maybe in the 70's. Never had to endure them before and I hope I don't again.

Last edited:
Could be that Fryatt is suffering from the major injury that he had last season.

Only last season everyone was Fryatts best friend, how fickle.

He was never mine. The record will show that I have consistently criticised him in the past for being too easily pushed off the ball, and, despite being our top scorer, for missing too many easy chances/open goals/penalties.

To be fair to the guy, he has beefed up a bit in the last twelve months, but still lacks pace and clinical finishing.

The fact that no-else in the side can hit a cow's arse with a banjo either does not excuse him.

I agree with all of that:beer:

Yes, one of our most regular goalscorer in twenty years as well as a skilful creator who got many assists. He hasn't played regularly since feb and at 21 (or something) is being put out to pasture

Given the base sousa was given to build off there really isn't an explanation for the performances so far. Give him 10 games, I guarantee we won't be any better off. Except, of course, by then it will be too late to salvage anything from this season and we will be stuck with all these useless foreign players.

Just want to quote myself from the Sousa Out! thread.

I didn't rate Abe much tonight as others, felt that Moussa was still very light weight and Lamey was appaling.

However, Vitor looked a very good player (now we got to see more than just 10 minutes of him.

I agree with most of that, but the game clearly turned on the Logan howler. I don't hate him for it, but at 1-1 the game was perfectly balanced and anyone could have gone on to win.

And Fryatt is clearly a confidence player; he's hardly going to have much confidence given ours and his start, but given last year he's still the most natural finisher in the squad. Get a couple of wins and he'll be back in the goals and everyone will be saying, "I wouldn't accept £5m....."

Logan made a few good saves, but ultimately the error was what cost us a goal.

Neilson did okay. Their number 5 was just too much for him though. Still made a few good attacking runs. Similar can be said for Berner.

Vitor and Morrison played okay, but I am still not convinced at Morro as a Centre-Back.

Abe had a good game, knocked it around comfortably and made some good tackles.

King also played well, but our midfield in general seemed to get crowded out when we had the ball and gave them too much space when they had possession.

Dyer had a good game, but obviously the injury put a stop to that.

Gallagher had a decent first half, but a lack of composure stopped him from being a major threat.

Moussa did alright, but was pushed off the ball a bit too easily on a few occasions.

Howard had a decent game. Was always going to be difficult without someone playing directly off of him though.

Fryatt was poor when he came on. Didn't look interested for large periods, and he looked more tired than Howard despite having played an hour less.

Wellens looked strong, and possibly our only source of attack after going 2-1 down.

Yes, one of our most regular goalscorer in twenty years as well as a skilful creator who got many assists. He hasn't played regularly since feb and at 21 (or something) is being put out to pasture

His goals/appearances record speaks for itself as our supposedly number one striker.

Fryatt (24)
2009 Championship, 12/27
2008 League 1, 27/46
2007 Championship, 2/21
2006 Champioship, 3/21

Good in League 1, not good in the Championship.

His goals/appearances record speaks for itself as our supposedly number one striker.

Fryatt (24)
2009 Championship, 12/27
2008 League 1, 27/46
2007 Championship, 2/21
2006 Champioship, 3/21

Good in League 1, not good in the Championship.

12/27 is a reasonable strike rate. If he plays all season that's 20 goals, which is a decent target for any striker. Or should we be expecting 50?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669